E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Which polarizing sunglasses to buy?

Old 07-27-2011, 05:37 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

My Costa Del Mar's work like a champ...no issues with iDrive screen, but HUD almost disappears.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:22 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being a motorcyclist, I've become less of a fan of polarized lenses over the years. The problem that two-wheelers face is that the polarized lenses sometimes cause weird visual effects when used behind a helmet's face shield; it's actually almost impossible to see through some car windows, making it more difficult to discern a driver's intentions. More problematic is that the polarizing effect can mask the presence of liquids like oil on the pavement. Because of these factors and the problems associated with reading GPS and digital instrument screens, I avoid polarized lenses when riding. I find that they're not always the right answer for driving, either.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by ADD
+1 no problems on the Ray Bans in the 5 Series.

However, I always have an issue with the 3 Series LCD "radio" readout, when I get one as a loaner.

I don't think any polarized glasses will work with the 3, due to the angle to the radio.
+1 on this...I have Ray Bans and have no problem at all in the 5-series. But, I also have a '09 328i and I can't see the radio display at all.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:40 PM
Senior Members

Oakley here and no issue at all. I-Drive is clearly readable..
Old 07-28-2011, 12:07 PM
Members

Gucci aviators no issues.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport Pak

Originally Posted by baveagle
I just returned a pair of Smith Foley sunglasses with polarizing lenses because they make the left side of the Idrive screen unreadable. Which make are you guys using that work with the BMW LCD screen? Thanks.
Maui-Jim, Oakley would be excellent choices. The lens they make are as good as it gets. Both put a lot of research into their polarization and lens technologies and also apply anti-glare to the backside so you don't get reflections from behind. Ray-bans are also good, but if you want polarized be sure that is what you are getting, not all are. Same with Oakley, every MJ is polarized. Some of the other designer names mentioned won't have as good of a lens, in those, you're paying for the frame materials and workmanship, the lenses will definitely be a step below and often not polarized. The motorcycle rider above - what he says is true about liquids on pavement, that can occur, it also depends on curvature of the sunglasses. But he is not totally accurate about being able to see inside a window of a car, actually, polarization will increase this capability because it cuts thru the glare (reflections) off the window. I don't doubt he is having troubles, but it is probably due to interference from his helmet shield as he describes. Good polarization cuts glare - it is the only thing that will cut glare, tint alone does not do this.

I should add, that your driving position will make a difference. Take your current glasses and move around and you may see the screen come in and out of focus. The polarization can cancel out LCD material. If you take two polarized lenses and rotate one 90 degrees, the view will go black - try it and see for yourself. I wear all kinds of sunglasses and never have a problem, usually though, I am wearing Maui-Jim's or Oakley's. Screen brightness will also factor into the issue. And last, quality of the screen - you didn't by accident get a Chinese knock off BMW did you!!!

P.M. If you find a pair you would like to purchase. I happen to be in the business and can get you the old 5series forum discount!
Old 07-29-2011, 02:13 PM
Members

Originally Posted by baveagle
I just returned a pair of Smith Foley sunglasses with polarizing lenses because they make the left side of the Idrive screen unreadable. Which make are you guys using that work with the BMW LCD screen? Thanks.
It is highly likely that you havd a defective pair or should I say lens in your sunglasses. The fact that it only affected the left side of the screen as well as noone elase having problems supports that.

I have Maui Jims and also have no problems. I am an Optometrist and know a bit about polarization. Polarization only works in one plane. In fact if you took the lenses out of your sunglasses and held them back to back and then rotated one of them you would see a Maltese cross develop that gets completely black when rotated 90-180 degrees.

So I think it is highly likely that the left lens in you glasses was accidentally rotated in the manufactuing process and slipped through quality control. Or there could be a defect in the Idrive screen that only shows up under polarized light.

I would get the vendor of your next pair to let you take them out to your car before you purchase. Hope that helps.
John in Nashville
Old 07-29-2011, 02:56 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport Pak

Originally Posted by five4life
It is highly likely that you havd a defective pair or should I say lens in your sunglasses. The fact that it only affected the left side of the screen as well as noone elase having problems supports that.
Hey John - How did you get out of the exam room long enough to respond to this post?! Before I respond further....I should tell you that I invented polarization oops, no wait, that was Al Gore.

You can easily test John's theory by closing your left eye or putting your hand over it with your shades on. My guess is that it is the angle and elevation in which you are sitting, presuming you're on the right. The left side of the idrive is going to be somewhat dimmer than the right due to dash light blockage of the idrive. Smith is also not known (to me) for superior optics in their sunglasses, but honestly, since we don't carry them I don't know much about them.