E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Please Note Pre LCI to LCI Retrofitters

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 04:11 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Yes Xenon only ... the inner works 'cuz you wired it to the high beam, check the real LCI to compare as the inner reflector does nothin' ... well other than shine the corner when turning ... another example I upgraded mine to a non-AHL (Adaptive) version of LCI headlight ... the difference mine has no cornering light so my inner reflector is not frosted (makes it really like a dual projector) so mine has no H3 bulb overt he top opening (the H8 for the AE still the same from the back), so my inner reflector does nothin'.

The reason the smaller reflector in your kind is frosted 'cuz it makes the beam pattern wide in smaller distance if it were design for a hi-beam it'll be clear like the pre-LCI used to be to shine further & upward.

here's mine = http://forums.5serie...d-my-headlights

or this is probably a better pic of a non-AHL (no frosted inner lens) since not lit up = http://forums.5serie...post__p__912419

Originally Posted by d4rkchocolate
waow, thats weird, when i flash someone the inners (reflective) work, and when i use the hi beam they stay on and also the bi xenons kick in.......

so r u saying that my flashers should ONLY be the xenons??? nothing else???
Old 11-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

people those are not the high beams!! The xenon light is both regular and high beams. The light that melted is simply a dull yellow/halogen light that when pulled on the lever is a flashing light used in europe-not really here in the U.S. It is lower level of light then the regualr xenons-so to call it high beams is just way off..
Old 11-09-2010, 07:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by Diamond
people those are not the high beams!! The xenon light is both regular and high beams. The light that melted is simply a dull yellow/halogen light that when pulled on the lever is a flashing light used in europe-not really here in the U.S. It is lower level of light then the regualr xenons-so to call it high beams is just way off..
pull your turn signal towards you, and that inner light is used to flash, and if you hold it like the thread starter, they stay on bright, at least on pre-lci cars, usa included.
i find myself using it many times when i want just temporary brights.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi
Yes Xenon only ... the inner works 'cuz you wired it to the high beam, check the real LCI to compare as the inner reflector does nothin' ... well other than shine the corner when turning ... another example I upgraded mine to a non-AHL (Adaptive) version of LCI headlight ... the difference mine has no cornering light so my inner reflector is not frosted (makes it really like a dual projector) so mine has no H3 bulb overt he top opening (the H8 for the AE still the same from the back), so my inner reflector does nothin'.

The reason the smaller reflector in your kind is frosted 'cuz it makes the beam pattern wide in smaller distance if it were design for a hi-beam it'll be clear like the pre-LCI used to be to shine further & upward.

here's mine = http://forums.5serie...d-my-headlights

or this is probably a better pic of a non-AHL (no frosted inner lens) since not lit up = http://forums.5serie...post__p__912419

waow, i better check the wiring...... i wonder if i take the lights apart and see if i can retrofit another reflector, or add another projector in there, i followed the updated retrofit guide very carefully, maybe there may be a way to actually wire my flashers to the xenons as it works when the high beam are on but not when i just use the flash to pass.....

too many worms opening out my tin at the mo, i'm now wishing i never started this modification.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Diamond
spot on diamond, so is the wiring correct????? because in Europe, thats exactly what happens over here when i use that lever, and thats what melted my reflectors, when i pushed it outwards so the flashers stay on permanently along with the brighter xenons.....
Old 11-10-2010, 02:52 AM
Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
pull your turn signal towards you, and that inner light is used to flash, and if you hold it like the thread starter, they stay on bright, at least on pre-lci cars, usa included.
i find myself using it many times when i want just temporary brights.

thats correct!!!!!!

but surely somethings not right for it to eat away at my reflectors and melt them like that???
Old 11-10-2010, 04:56 AM
Members
Senior Members

This clip may help ... especially on min 1:55 when the high beam start to lit up =
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3co8Q9eThV0&feature=channel
Old 11-10-2010, 06:13 AM
Members

This clip may help ... especially on min 1:55 when the high beam start to lit up =

you sure know how to make a man upset lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWukihVp3fQ&p=9CB644AA52C065D9&playnext=1& index=23

has anyone found a way round this??
Old 11-10-2010, 07:36 AM
Members
Senior Members

Coding it to properly function like LCI (w/ the proper LCM and all) ... or ... the choices are ... if you need to drive w/ high beam a lot don't wire the pre-LCI high beam (inner reflector) to the LCI inner frosted reflector (more than likely you'll get iDrive warning of high beam malfunction) ... or ... wire like it is right now but only use the high beam sparingly and when you do use it just make sure very briefly for a very short period of time to prevent melting (Like member Dav530d mentioned previously) and my guess the way you do it right now the iDrive will not have any warning since the 35w H3 bulb inside the inner/smaller frosted reflector seems to trick the iDrive for the existence of the good 'ole pre-LCI high beam reflector.

Originally Posted by d4rkchocolate
you sure know how to make a man upset lol

has anyone found a way round this??
Old 11-10-2010, 08:12 AM
Members

Coding it to properly function like LCI (w/ the proper LCM and all) ... or ... the choices are ... if you need to drive w/ high beam a lot don't wire the pre-LCI high beam (inner reflector) to the LCI inner frosted reflector (more than likely you'll get iDrive warning of high beam malfunction) ... or ... wire like it is right now but only use the high beam sparingly and when you do use it just make sure very briefly for a very short period of time to prevent melting (Like member Dav530d mentioned previously) and my guess the way you do it right now the iDrive will not have any warning since the 35w H3 bulb inside the inner/smaller frosted reflector seems to trick the iDrive for the existence of the good 'ole pre-LCI high beam reflector.
true, i'll have to live with it till i get a lcm at the mo i have no angel lights just main xenons as the idrive throws a parking error fault, so im coping with that for now and see what happens in the near future, i will need someone to code it for me at some point....... i heard of a few names but not sure how good their work is..

thanks for the advice tho much appreciated

Quick Reply: Please Note Pre LCI to LCI Retrofitters