E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Petrol model owners view on diesel engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 09:53 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Originally Posted by colejl' post='220869
I just like the driving with a gas engine better, the diesel comes at low rpm?s, suddenly kicks the turbo in and pushes you forward, thats good, but at the latest when you reach 4000 rpms the nextgeer has to come, stick or automatic, no more power. I like better the power coming later, at higher rpm?s just riding each gear with more power as you go up.
I'm led to believe that the 535d keeps going strong up to 5,000rpm!

I'm surprised this dual-sequential turbo technique hasn't been used more widely...?
[/quote]

I wrestled long over the 530i or 535d question myself...coming from a sweet sounding 330i i thought a deisel to be a tractor. Then I test drove the 535d, what you say about 5,000 rpm is spot on, from hitting the pedal and on up through 60mph in 6 seconds it just keeps pulling. That swung it for me, Ive got to say I miss the howl from the petrol 6, but the torque of the deisel 6 is something else!!!
Old 01-08-2006, 11:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by dude_in_germany' post='220942' date='Jan 8 2006, 12:20 PM
Exactly, I agree. There would be only one reason NOT to, and thats what I am trying to say: Do not switch from gas to diesel if you love your driving b] characteristics[[/b]. I know lots of people who are going gas -> diesel => GAS
I've gone from diesels, strong Audi diesels to gas BMW now.... and the next will be gas probably.
Sometimes I miss the high torque of diesel but with gas playing around the highway with long gears and high rpms.... and the sounds...... I simply leardned to substitute the turbo by shifting the gears down like 2 gears down... and it flies well. It definitely feels more racy and sporty....

but I agree the modern diesels are awesome and would kick most of the gas engines
Old 01-08-2006, 01:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530e G30
Model Year: 2017

I had a 530d E60, currently I have and I drive a 535d E60.
What can I say is that internal noise is much more quiet and soft on 535d (may be the eccelsa version , i don't know).

For sure the big difference is the constant torque , since beginning rpm, it seems to drive a car with an electric engine.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by ricky' post='221061' date='Jan 8 2006, 05:05 PM
I had a 530d E60, currently I have and I drive a 535d E60.
What can I say is that internal noise is much more quiet and soft on 535d (may be the eccelsa version , i don't know).

For sure the big difference is the constant torque , since beginning rpm, it seems to drive a car with an electric engine.
Yes the 535d does seem a bit more refined than the 218hp 530d having experienced both. 530d still excellent car.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Congrats for new shoes!

I have 07 2005 530 3L diesel ( BMW AG reduced to 211bhp).
True that mine is the garage after I do not use it, but the cold start thing is strange.
Once in winter I cud not start imediatelly the engine w the soft ignition.
I do NOT want and CARE for start button, I like to have the BMW key w me and turn it as I want...

So when I test driven my first ever test diesel car I was amazed that it was not a 'tractor' noise like in older Audis and spec. MERZ even now :thumbsdown: but when I push it, floor it there is the nice sound comming out of the engine that is even better than my L7 mine is true breaked in properly and over 15000kms, but I never hear the engine unless I really speed and I do not have safety glass w also further reduce the noise from outside. Do not want to defend diesel nor want to compare to petrol, I luv the torque I have and the faces when I am first at start from any redlight, I am not talkin' about street racing, but ordinary day driving, it is a sheer pleasure with music in my ears.

about being objective the 1st ever e60 driven by me was my dad's recent 530i (older engine) basic car w air-con seats that's all, and the two 3L engine behave differently, but belive me diesel ROCK$

I also admire the new piezzo tech, but it is more for consumption issue than big change, and if I wait for that I cud wait for 550 D comming out
Old 02-08-2006, 01:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Having driven a lot of two-stroke bikes, I just would like to add,
that the modern diesels, with particle filters, are a great choise.

They have nothing to do with tech you might have known from the old days,
yesterday.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:33 PM
Members

Wink

Originally Posted by 535D Sport' post='220950
You need Power AND revolutions, that makes you fast, having little torque but being able to build it up at higher rpm -> racing cars -> no diesels
But dont get me wrong, the modern diesels are ok, its just not the same as driving a gas engine.

How fast do you think the new Audi Le Mans car is going to be ? Which just happens to be a V12 twin turbo diesel with over 650 bhp.
[/quote]

... and more than 1000 NM torque for this Audi !!!!!!!

The new BMW 3000cc diesel (231 HP) is a lot less noisy than the former one (218 HP) ! That's because of the 100% aluminium built, plus the new generation of injectors, which profides better ride when cold. The silent-blocs system is also different (you don't feel any vibration from the engine).
Torque comes earlier & stays longer in the revs, and the engine seems to be "more free" in high revs than the former one. I could test both engines the same day : big difference ! THE best diesel engine on earth, for sure !

The dubble turbo technique of the 535D on this new engine will be extraordinary, I guess !

I love my new diesel E60 sooo much !
Old 02-08-2006, 02:35 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BigGrey' post='220938' date='Jan 8 2006, 05:07 PM
[Imagine with the new 200hp 2.0d BMW engine ;-)
What new 200hp 2.0d BMW engine?
Old 02-08-2006, 02:43 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ats77' post='236945' date='Feb 8 2006, 05:29 PM
Congrats for new shoes!

I have 07 2005 530 3L diesel ( BMW AG reduced to 211bhp).
True that mine is the garage after I do not use it, but the cold start thing is strange.
Once in winter I cud not start imediatelly the engine w the soft ignition.
I do NOT want and CARE for start button, I like to have the BMW key w me and turn it as I want...

So when I test driven my first ever test diesel car I was amazed that it was not a 'tractor' noise like in older Audis and spec. MERZ even now :thumbsdown: but when I push it, floor it there is the nice sound comming out of the engine that is even better than my L7 mine is true breaked in properly and over 15000kms, but I never hear the engine unless I really speed and I do not have safety glass w also further reduce the noise from outside. Do not want to defend diesel nor want to compare to petrol, I luv the torque I have and the faces when I am first at start from any redlight, I am not talkin' about street racing, but ordinary day driving, it is a sheer pleasure with music in my ears.

about being objective the 1st ever e60 driven by me was my dad's recent 530i (older engine) basic car w air-con seats that's all, and the two 3L engine behave differently, but belive me diesel ROCK$

I also admire the new piezzo tech, but it is more for consumption issue than big change, and if I wait for that I cud wait for 550 D comming out
Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaa
That would be i guess a competitor for the m5?!? M i going too far ?
Imagine a 550d. V8 twin turbo diesel and 5000cc. Can u spell 1000NM? And more than 500bhp?WOW

I'm wondering how economic it would be
Old 02-08-2006, 08:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by SKK' post='220543' date='Jan 7 2006, 11:21 AM
Compared to the petrol, the diesel engine was simply loud and unrefined. Cold started it and it was noisy, clattery and just a lot lot louder. It got better as the engine warmed up but it was massively poor in comparison to the petrol. Noise levels inside the car were significantly higher as a result. This was even the case in the last few miles of the journey, so I couldnt blame it on a cold engine. It was cold day today and all the windows were rolled up. From the outside it sounded even worse. My wife thought that there was something wrong with the car........it was just so unrefined. I simply could not live with that sound.

The new diesel 3 litre diesel engine is also supposed to be a more refined. It has to be in my opinion as the noise levels in the car I drove were simply unacceptable in a luxury saloon.
The 535d is supposed to be really quiet.

I saw a sound clip of a fellow member's 535d and it was very quiet.

On Top Gear Jermey showed that the 535d is quieter than a 545, which I think its waaay toooo quiet (so I was forced to get the Remus exhaust).

Quick Reply: Petrol model owners view on diesel engine