E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Passenger side mirror glass slowly creeping in?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Since it seems like a fairly common issue, we need to all complain about it the next time our cars go to the dealer so BMW can eventually address it in software (which is likely where the problem lies...)
Old 07-05-2008, 06:19 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Rudy - same issue here on my 535. Over about a week or two, the passenger mirror will shift position (gradually) inwards...not up or down just a bit inwards so that I have to press the memory button to get it back to my normal position. I stopped using the power folding option and the reverse tilt down hoping it was one of those two things causing the gradual shift...however, it is not as it still shifts inward (over time) anyway.

I'm just now in the habit of pressing the memory button once a week or so...did you find out what the cause is?
Old 07-05-2008, 07:24 AM
Members

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='616800' date='Jul 5 2008, 09:19 AM
Rudy - same issue here on my 535. Over about a week or two, the passenger mirror will shift position (gradually) inwards...not up or down just a bit inwards so that I have to press the memory button to get it back to my normal position. I stopped using the power folding option and the reverse tilt down hoping it was one of those two things causing the gradual shift...however, it is not as it still shifts inward (over time) anyway.

I'm just now in the habit of pressing the memory button once a week or so...did you find out what the cause is?

Same experience with my 535i.

I took delivery April '07, and I recall some posting on this forum about this issue in May '07 or June '07. Some posters suggested that they had manually adjusted their mirrors with some success, others indicated that dealers had replaced the motor controlling the mirror. I have not tried either suggestion.

Thanks, Rudy for resurfacing the issue. Perhaps we can find a permanent solution to this minor annoyance.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:20 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 M5

Like I stated in my previous post on another board, the above solution worked for me. I would need to readjust the passenger side mirror 2 times every week, as it was creeping up and toward the sky little by little. (I don't even fold my mirrors or use the reverse tilt-down feature back then). It was very annoying, to say the least. Also, with my active side bolsters, they would slowly open up more and more until it was fully open.

Remember, "LAST SEAT POS." should be DEACTIVATED.

I dug around I-Drive, disabled the feature above and it never happened again. I have Progman v25.0X. Try the above and let me know if this works for you guys.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i ALS, Nav, Cold Weather package, Premium package, Logic 7

My 535i (Sept 07 delivery) does the same thing with the right passanger mirror. I don't use the dip feature when reversing. I have found the mirror will move in and up like others are reporting. Folding or not folding the mirrors doesn't seem to make any difference.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:30 AM
Contributors

I too experience this issue and find myself readjusting every week. It seems as if BMW never quite got the mirrors down to a science. My wife's X5 sometimes stays in the reverse mode until addressed. Both issues are rather annoying and the reverse mode issue is at times a safety hazard.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:41 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='615578' date='Jul 3 2008, 02:26 PM
I can't remember seeing anyone else complain about this (but surely the RP police will bust me if I'm wrong ) but for a while now I've been noticing something strange or a small software bug...

It seems as if my passenger side mirror (the mirror itself, not the fold-in housing) gradually moves in from the point it was originally set at. In other words, if I have everything the way I want it and store those settings in memory, after a few days of my normal routine, the mirror will move outward again if I recall the memory settings previously stored.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the fold-in or tilt-down features -- considering the following daily routine, here's why I think so...

Starting with all mirrors, seats, etc. in the preferred position and stored in memory setting #1 my daily routing is as follows:
1) In the evening, I fold the mirrors in before pulling into my garage.
2) In the morning, I back out of the garage with the mirrors still folded in. Note that while I'm backing out, the mirror tilts down while the car is in reverse.
3) Once I'm past the narrow entry of the garage's doorway, I hit the button to fold the mirrors back out. Note that the car is still in reverse as I continue out of the driveway so the mirror glass is still tilted down.
4) Once I'm out of my driveway, I shift into drive and pull away. Obviously, the mirror returns to "normal" from it's tilted-down position.

Not every day but quite often, if I recall the memory setting #1 and look at the passenger mirror, I'll see it move outward just a hair. If I don't recall the memory for a few days, when I finally do, I'll see the mirror move outward much more -- clearly there is a little bit of an inward creep that occurs randomly over time.

Has anyone else noticed this minor bug?

(BTW, this issue reminds me a little bit of the steering wheel creep problem that's been reported often on these boards.)
Same thing happens to me on my '07 model. It seems to happen whether or not I use the setting where the mirror drops down when shifiting into reverse. I don't have folding mirrors so it has nothing to do with that. Kind of annoying but I just push the memory button and it moves back to where it was supposed to be. It's a minor thing so I've never mentioned it to my SA but will do it the next time I'm in for service.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:59 AM
Members

I will see if I can try the tip from EM_5 this weekend, but Im not sure I'll be able to check it thoroughly before it goes into the dealers on Monday for this (among other things).

If indeed disabling the "last seat position" in iDrive does the trick, I can't see me sticking with that as a long term solution. I share my car with my wife and we each use our own key. If I'm right, the use of the "last seat position" feature is what ensures that the seats are returned to our individual preference when we unlock the car with our respective keys?

Barry
Old 08-29-2008, 02:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Originally Posted by bardel' post='656962' date='Aug 29 2008, 01:59 AM
I share my car with my wife ...
Ah Hah! I think we may have discovered the workaround to the mirror problem!!!
Old 08-29-2008, 03:01 AM
Members

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='656974' date='Aug 29 2008, 11:18 AM
Ah Hah! I think we may have discovered the workaround to the mirror problem!!!
LOL... Until now she didn't really use it much and the problem has been there long term otherwise she may have copped the blame.

That said, with the niggles we've had with this car (from new), I'm afraid the finger gets pointed at the product rather than the user straight away.

Quick Reply: Passenger side mirror glass slowly creeping in?