E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Passenger side mirror glass slowly creeping in?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I can't remember seeing anyone else complain about this (but surely the RP police will bust me if I'm wrong ) but for a while now I've been noticing something strange or a small software bug...

It seems as if my passenger side mirror (the mirror itself, not the fold-in housing) gradually moves in from the point it was originally set at. In other words, if I have everything the way I want it and store those settings in memory, after a few days of my normal routine, the mirror will move outward again if I recall the memory settings previously stored.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the fold-in or tilt-down features -- considering the following daily routine, here's why I think so...

Starting with all mirrors, seats, etc. in the preferred position and stored in memory setting #1 my daily routine is as follows:
1) In the evening, I fold the mirrors in before pulling into my garage.
2) In the morning, I back out of the garage with the mirrors still folded in. Note that while I'm backing out, the mirror tilts down while the car is in reverse.
3) Once I'm past the narrow entry of the garage's doorway, I hit the button to fold the mirrors back out. Note that the car is still in reverse as I continue out of the driveway so the mirror glass is still tilted down.
4) Once I'm out of my driveway, I shift into drive and pull away. Obviously, the mirror returns to "normal" from it's tilted-down position.

Not every day but quite often, if I recall the memory setting #1 and look at the passenger mirror, I'll see it move outward just a hair. If I don't recall the memory for a few days, when I finally do, I'll see the mirror move outward much more -- clearly there is a little bit of an inward creep that occurs randomly over time.

Has anyone else noticed this minor bug?

(BTW, this issue reminds me a little bit of the steering wheel creep problem that's been reported often on these boards.)
Old 07-03-2008, 01:24 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have noticed the same thing with mine. I do not regularly fold the mirrors in. I am thinking the creeping in is due to the mirror automatically shifting down (to see the curb) when it is in reverse - Just my guess.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TranPlan' post='615763' date='Jul 3 2008, 05:24 PM
I have noticed the same thing with mine. I do not regularly fold the mirrors in. I am thinking the creeping in is due to the mirror automatically shifting down (to see the curb) when it is in reverse - Just my guess.
That's the kind of feedback I'm looking for. I haven't had enough time to test the different scenarios (folding the mirrors, not folding the mirrors, etc.) but I do suspect that it may just be the tilt-down function as you suggest. There have been times when I've watched the mirror as it returns from the fold-down state and I've seen it finish coming up then move inward slightly for no apparent reason. (I can't get it to do it every time though.)

Since it might not have anything to do with the folding, surely there will be others out there that are seeing this problem, right?
Old 07-03-2008, 01:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

I have never folded in the mirrors, and have noticed the same thing, Rudy. In fact, this is perhaps the only or at least most irritating thing about the car so far! I reset the memory probably twice or three times per week as I notice the creep-in. I guess the double-pull door handles is about as irritating!
Happy Fourth,
Cal
Old 07-03-2008, 01:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

I always had to adjust my passenger side mirror by using the stored memory on my past xi. It used to drive me crazy that it would always seem to creep inward over time. I never had to do this for the driver's side, however.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:40 PM
Contributors

hey rudy, i have heard of people having the same problem.
well my dad called me up the other day and told me the same thing is happening to him. But he had his key programmed to autofold when locking and unfold when unlocking. So he thought thats whts causing it to shift slightly outward.

So i told him to check with the SA if it is a known bug and if there's a software upgrade for it. My dad has 2008 530i. dunno when it was manifactured nor the CIP.will tell him to check. but he had it customized.it was delivered in February. So still not sure wht CIP
Old 07-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bteljuice1' post='615780' date='Jul 3 2008, 05:40 PM
hey rudy, i have heard of people having the same problem.
well my dad called me up the other day and told me the same thing is happening to him. But he had his key programmed to autofold when locking and unfold when unlocking. So he thought thats whts causing it to shift slightly outward.

So i told him to check with the SA if it is a known bug and if there's a software upgrade for it. My dad has 2008 530i. dunno when it was manifactured nor the CIP.will tell him to check. but he had it customized.it was delivered in February. So still not sure wht CIP
It's starting to look more and more like it has nothing to do with the folding of the mirrors -- besides, in the USA, we're not skilled enough to operate the auto-folding mirrors on lock so BMW doesn't give us that feature...
Old 07-03-2008, 06:43 PM
Contributors

I too have noticed the need for an occasional readjustment. Although I don't recall the issue having been previously discussed here, there have been a number of threads on Bimmerfest with regards to this issue. No one to my knowledge has successfully had the problem remedied.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:11 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 M5

Originally Posted by JDoug550' post='616052' date='Jul 3 2008, 07:43 PM
I too have noticed the need for an occasional readjustment. Although I don't recall the issue having been previously discussed here, there have been a number of threads on Bimmerfest with regards to this issue. No one to my knowledge has successfully had the problem remedied.
Ok, from the Main I-Drive Menu, click the I-Drive Knob. This should bring you to the Settings screen. From there, select Vehicle Settings. From there, select Door Locks. From there, your screen should look like this: [MAKE SURE THAT: LAST SEAT POS. DEACTIVATED] IIRC, the default is activated. Worked for me... No more mirror creep.
Attached Thumbnails Passenger side mirror glass slowly creeping in?-dsc01297.jpg  
Old 07-04-2008, 07:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

I too have this issue. Will have to try EM_5's suggestion but it is a bit annoying to have to periodically reset the mirror...

Quick Reply: Passenger side mirror glass slowly creeping in?