E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Passenger Restraint System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 07:31 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the passenger restraint malfunction light on before. Took it to the deal and it was covered under a recall...that was probably around Feb. 26th 2009, then on Mar. 27th 2009 the light came back on again! I took it back to the dealer hoping that it would be the recall again and maybe they just didnt do it right but no it came back as the airbag sensors had crapped out, and on top of that there is another recall for the DME that they didnt do because they said i had to take care of this problem first...

So i got into my car and the light was off?!?!?! And it still is (knock on wood)

As for disconnecting the battery - i dont think that will work...i could be wrong but when i changed my battery in January the light was still there...along with the active steering malfunction...but that went away after about 2kms of driving.

GL!
Old 04-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

How much did it cost for the airbag sensors?

Originally Posted by tiangco.a' post='844451' date='Apr 11 2009, 11:31 PM
I had the passenger restraint malfunction light on before. Took it to the deal and it was covered under a recall...that was probably around Feb. 26th 2009, then on Mar. 27th 2009 the light came back on again! I took it back to the dealer hoping that it would be the recall again and maybe they just didnt do it right but no it came back as the airbag sensors had crapped out, and on top of that there is another recall for the DME that they didnt do because they said i had to take care of this problem first...

So i got into my car and the light was off?!?!?! And it still is (knock on wood)

As for disconnecting the battery - i dont think that will work...i could be wrong but when i changed my battery in January the light was still there...along with the active steering malfunction...but that went away after about 2kms of driving.

GL!
Old 04-11-2009, 07:55 PM
Members

1) Moopai as I posted in your previous thread "Resetting The Battery", disconnecting the battery is not going to fix your fault. Further to the point it will probably log other fault codes as well.
2) No, disconnecting the battery should not cause any problems with I-Drive
3) Battery on right side from memory
4) I wouldn't be looking at replacing the entire battery cable at this stage of your problem. Just because one person had this problem does not mean it will be the same with yours. The warning displayed in your CID is a general warning about the system. It does not corespond to a specific fault. Any number of faults can cause that warning to be displayed. The dealer 'should' be able to fix the problem for you.
It should also be said that if the light was on before and the problem fixed and then the light comes on again after a significant period of time it does not mean the problem wasnt fixed. It is more than likely a new fault and as stated above is triggering the generic warning.
5) "FC IN SGM-SIM 9403 9404. Test Module. Referred to SIB 72 210 04?
The above means there is a fault stored in Safety Gateway Module. SIB is Service Information Bulletin 72... These are bulletins published by BMW for its dealers. The only way you will be able to get access to this Bulletin is asking your dealer to have a look at it. I guess it would depend on your Service Advisor as to whether they show it or say it is classified.

Hope that helps
Old 04-11-2009, 07:55 PM
Senior Members

I didnt get it fixed but the quote was $547.30CND for both upfront airbag sensors
Old 06-26-2013, 10:29 AM
New Members

My Ride: 545i

Originally Posted by Moopai
I don't want to fix mine either but it is annoying to see the message on the iDrive and the dash.
Just following this up. I know it is quite a few years old but I have the same errors. My passenger mat was acting up (already fixed under recall in 2010). I ended up coding the car to think the mat was always occupied and removed the passenger seat belt warning. For almost a week everything was good with my car. Now every other start (after clearing the errors) I get the wonderful restraint system fault with the same codes you had.

SIM/SGM 9404 and 9403. Hoping you ended up narrowing it down to a for sure fix. I like to avoid the dealer but I am considering coding everything back to active and taking it in. Maybe they will replace the mat and I can get a diagnosis on the other two errors.

Last edited by svre46; 06-26-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:01 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 545iA stock
Default Seat belt latch

I am sitting at the dealership as i post, they told me it was the seat belt latch the electronics are shot inside, I said I would wait to fix has anyone replaced their latch and is there any reseting of software to remove the code?
Old 08-22-2013, 09:19 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Bmw E60 530i 2004 Jet Black sport package on Linea Corse 19" Lc818 Saphire Black

No, but I just fixes the problem and it's pretty simple..I bought a bypass module on ebay that runs about 65$ shipped ( search for bmw e60 seat bypass) or you can do the bypass yourself...I dont have the link since I'm on my iphone but there 2 post here on the forum!
Old 08-26-2013, 10:34 AM
New Members

Thanks for the heads up TGM001!
Old 08-26-2013, 11:01 AM
New Members

I ordered my new set belt receiver should be here in a few days, do I have to go to the dealer to clear the code or will it adjust and clear its self? That was a dumb A$$ question why would the factory make it so you dont have to drop a C-note to clear it.

Does anyone in Minnesota have a tool to clear? that may be able to help out ?
Old 09-13-2013, 01:16 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 528i Premium, Cold
Default BSD Cable caused my Restraint System Malfunction light

My dealer is telling me that the same issue is caused by the BSD cable on the battery.
I looked and there is a small yellow & black cable that plugs into the RED cable where it attaches to the battery. I think it's the monitoring cable that senses issues. It was all corroded. Bad that nothing else was corroded.
Dealer is claiming that it's corroded due to water in my trunk, which apparently is not covered under warranty, even though the car is only 3 yrs old. The battery housing keeps filling up with water. Shoddy to say the least. Love the car, hate the silly engineering sometimes.

Now I have to take it back to them and argue with them to re-test and reset because they wanted me to initially pay for a complete new BSD cable.....$500...no way in hell.

Note to BMW: Crappy little terminals that are wafer thin should not be used in something as important as this