E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger Restraint System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 10:31 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.
Smile

A year ago I had the "Passenger Restraint System Malfunction" message come up on the iDrive. When I took the car to the STEALER suspecting the PAD sensor the report came back as I have a faulty up-front airbag crash sensors.

Test results as follows:
FC IN SGM-SIM 9403 9404. Test Module. Referred to SIB 72 210 04.

According to the STEALER the sensors developed cracks in the housing allowing water ingres. The sensors got coroded and that is why I'm getting the message. To the fix the problem it was going to cost $800 were the sensors cost is ~$60 and the rest is for labour since they have to remove the front bumper. Since all I have is the certified series warranty I paid the $140 diag. fee and asked the service advisor to reset the idrive. Since the reset I drove the car almost one year with no problems or messages at all. This morning the message came on and would no go away.

Question: any idea how many crash sensors the E60 has? I'm thinking to change them myself and if programming is needed I will then send it to the STEALER to get it programmmed.

Also if I disconnect the battery, will that remove the message for the time being? Will disconnecting the battery cause any issues with the iDrive? Is the battery located on the right or left side in the trunk? Thanks
Old 04-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.
Smile

No ideas or recommendations from anyone??

Originally Posted by Moopai' post='836272' date='Apr 4 2009, 02:31 PM
A year ago I had the "Passenger Restraint System Malfunction" message come up on the iDrive. When I took the car to the STEALER suspecting the PAD sensor the report came back as I have a faulty up-front airbag crash sensors.

Test results as follows:
FC IN SGM-SIM 9403 9404. Test Module. Referred to SIB 72 210 04.

According to the STEALER the sensors developed cracks in the housing allowing water ingres. The sensors got coroded and that is why I'm getting the message. To the fix the problem it was going to cost $800 were the sensors cost is ~$60 and the rest is for labour since they have to remove the front bumper. Since all I have is the certified series warranty I paid the $140 diag. fee and asked the service advisor to reset the idrive. Since the reset I drove the car almost one year with no problems or messages at all. This morning the message came on and would no go away.

Question: any idea how many crash sensors the E60 has? I'm thinking to change them myself and if programming is needed I will then send it to the STEALER to get it programmmed.

Also if I disconnect the battery, will that remove the message for the time being? Will disconnecting the battery cause any issues with the iDrive? Is the battery located on the right or left side in the trunk? Thanks
Old 04-06-2009, 07:30 AM
Members

Same thing happend to me. Last year I replaced the seat mat sensor in my car: Luckily they replaced it under GOODWILL. Well a year later that same damn light came back on. So I looked more into the problem and noticed that there was a recall on the that seat mat sensor: http://www.internetautoguide.com/auto-reca...ries/index.html

I talked with the dealer on that and they said that my car wasnt part of that recall (but yours might be) So I asked them what the problem was and it turned out to be a bad battery cable that ran throught the card it was getting enough power to opereate the fron airbags. (who knows)
Old 04-06-2009, 06:00 PM
Senior Members

Smile

Is the bad battery cable covered in the Certified Series? If not, any idea how big this job?

Originally Posted by GrantT' post='837822' date='Apr 6 2009, 11:30 AM
Same thing happend to me. Last year I replaced the seat mat sensor in my car: Luckily they replaced it under GOODWILL. Well a year later that same damn light came back on. So I looked more into the problem and noticed that there was a recall on the that seat mat sensor: http://www.internetautoguide.com/auto-reca...ries/index.html

I talked with the dealer on that and they said that my car wasnt part of that recall (but yours might be) So I asked them what the problem was and it turned out to be a bad battery cable that ran throught the card it was getting enough power to opereate the fron airbags. (who knows)
Old 04-07-2009, 04:22 AM
Members

everytime my wife sits next to me i get the same message " Passenger Restraint System Malfunction " lolololol
Old 04-07-2009, 04:40 AM
Senior Members

Smile

Could it be that I have a problem with the battery cable and the STEALER is reporting different error code such as this one: FC IN SGM-SIM 9403 9404. Test Module. Referred to SIB 72 210 04?

Is there a way for me to find out what is the above SIB & SGM-SIM numbers related too? Thanks

Originally Posted by GrantT' post='837822' date='Apr 6 2009, 11:30 AM

Old 04-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Moopai' post='838869' date='Apr 7 2009, 08:40 AM
Could it be that I have a problem with the battery cable and the STEALER is reporting different error code such as this one: FC IN SGM-SIM 9403 9404. Test Module. Referred to SIB 72 210 04?

Is there a way for me to find out what is the above SIB & SGM-SIM numbers related too? Thanks

My car just started doing this tonight right after I changed the battery. I installed the 95R from Batteries Plus. Any ideas from anyone?

Thanks!
Old 04-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Members

Moopai, I am not sure but I would it would be covered. There is so many options for that light it seems. I figured it was the same thing when I went in and it turned out to be something different everytime.

Also to the person that replaced the battery there is a good chance its not getting enough juice and faulting the airbag sensor.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:57 PM
Members

I have the same issue with my 2004 545 has been on for 8 months. now that i know what it could cost to fix, i think i'll wait. love the car, but these sensors are ridiculous....i am due for some service, so i will post what they say about sensor.. i may not fix it!
Old 04-11-2009, 04:00 PM
Senior Members

I don't want to fix mine either but it is annoying to see the message on the iDrive and the dash.

Originally Posted by chophop' post='843562' date='Apr 10 2009, 06:57 PM
I have the same issue with my 2004 545 has been on for 8 months. now that i know what it could cost to fix, i think i'll wait. love the car, but these sensors are ridiculous....i am due for some service, so i will post what they say about sensor.. i may not fix it!

Quick Reply: Passenger Restraint System Malfunction