E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Passenger Restraint Fault after Radar Detector Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 08:30 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 Dinan 545i, Titanium Metallic Silver, 2007 Dinan M5, 6sp, Silver Gray Metallic
Default Passenger Restraint Fault after Radar Detector Install

Today I remote installed the Beltronics STiR Plus radar detector, it took me about four hours. During the install the car seemed to go in and out of sleep mode or reboot every now and then since the front doors were open most of the time. This may have confused the computer...or not.

Anyway, I started the car a few times during the process to make sure the unit was powering up correctly. At one time I noticed the headlights were on and the headlight switch was off, I started the car and everything went back to normal. Instead of powering the unit using the wires near the sunroof motor, I tapped into one of the two power sockets located in back of the console near the rear vents.

After completing the task, I started the car to test out the install and got the following warning "Fault in passenger-restraint system affecting airbag, belt tensioner, or belt-force limiter. Continue to wear the safety belt."

I rechecked all the wiring and everything seemed fine, I did most of the install sitting in the passenger seat since I installed the main interface under the fuse box in the back of the glove compartment. I also disconnected all the switches in the sunroof area, lights, SOS, sunroof, etc. before making this decision not to use the power in this area. I did start the car a few times before reconnecting all switches which would include the passenger airbag switch.

Anyone have any ideas? I am thinking that having the doors open for an extended period of time caused the issue or starting the car with the passenger airbag sensor switch being disconnected, this maybe wishful thinking. I will run a check on the car on Monday to see what fault codes I get. I will clear them to see if they come back or not. One thing to note, when someone sits in the seat the passenger airbag light goes out.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Last edited by Vapiano; 06-15-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:03 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Do think you may have tapped a wire for the AB system by accident? Those wires are everywhere... I dropped my lower passenger panel under the IP and tapped into the back of the wires going to the power socket. Initially I used a wire inside the sunroof/light panel but these wires I thought were a bit too small and after connecting just decided to switch it over to the power socket. I would disconnect your power and ground to the detector and then have your AB light reset. If it comes back on then you might just have a problem.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:27 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 Dinan 545i, Titanium Metallic Silver, 2007 Dinan M5, 6sp, Silver Gray Metallic

I definitely only tapped into the rear power slot cable, I am hoping it's just a glitch and it needs to be cleared by INPA. I will report back later today on the results after reviewing and clearing the code(s).
Old 06-17-2013, 02:17 PM
New Members

Issued resolved, the code in the system was an open circuit for the passenger restraint indicator. When I started the car with the switch being disconnected, the system flagged the open circuit to be checked out. My tech cleared the code and all is well.