E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Panoramic Sunroof stuck in open tilt.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 09:03 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a 04/ 2004 BMW 530DAT. The rear section of the 2 part sun roof is jammed in the open tilted position. The forward section is also in the same position, upon pressing the button to close the roof the front section tries to close and stops then tilts back open again the rear section does not move.

I have tried to both manually close the sunroof with the allen key and reset the sunroof holding in the button for 2 minutes. The left slider moves a bit but the right sliding mechanism is stuck! When looking at the rear sunroof I could see how the mechanism works. There are two triangular ramps either side of the tracks that put the glass into tilt. To close the window I have to to push both these back so the position is closed, but I dont know how. I would be grateful if someone can help with this.

Has anyone experienced anything similar – warrantee repair or otherwise? If so what was replaced?

(I know that the car is to old for warrantee and the dealer often replaces the whole cassette when problems with the sunroof - USD 1 335.- but is there a cheaper solution to this?)

Edit: It looks like only the right sliding mechanism is stuck. The left mechanism works and the triangular ramp moves to closed position when initializing the sunroof according to TIS. Resulting the whole window bends downto the left and nearly cracks.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:37 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Figured it out myself after 4 hours work. Took of the rear sunroof by removing the 4 torxs and loosen the slider and manualy and put the mechanism back with a screewdriver. It was the metal slider where the torx screws are fastened to the sunroof that was jammed between stuctures in the sunroof cassette. When manualy sliding the mechanism back and forth it stuck again several times. But now I know that if it stucks I can manipulate the slider lose again. There were no cracks or visuable defects on the mechanism.

This was the first and last time I ever used the tilt function on my panoramic sunroof.