E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint defect in the hood?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 07:07 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been lurking here for a while researching my latest purchase (Silver 2005 CPO 525i w/cold, premium, nav, xenon). This forum is great, so much useful information, you guys definitely helped me get comfortable making the switch from Honda/Acura to BMW.

My question for you: the other I took my car out and in the bright sun I can see three "spots" in the paint on the hood, near the badge. One is ~3" circle the others are about 4-5" ellipse shape. You have to look closely but you can make out the edges of these areas if you look at a sharp angle with sun reflecting off. When I run my hand over these areas, they are prefectly smooth however you can feel the edges of the areas. From straight you can't see these "spots", also in less than bright sun they can't be identified. The paint looks perfect, it almost appears as if the spots are in the clear coat. I closely inspected the rest of the car and no other "spots" can be found.

Has anyone seen this before? Does this seem as though the hood has been damaged at some point in time in the past?
When I talked to my salesman about this his repsponse was this is just the way the paint is.

I will post some pictures as soon as I can replicate the conditions for viewing.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

Originally Posted by OptimusPrime' post='578701' date='May 12 2008, 11:07 AM
I have been lurking here for a while researching my latest purchase (Silver 2005 CPO 525i w/cold, premium, nav, xenon). This forum is great, so much useful information, you guys definitely helped me get comfortable making the switch from Honda/Acura to BMW.

My question for you: the other I took my car out and in the bright sun I can see three "spots" in the paint on the hood, near the badge. One is ~3" circle the others are about 4-5" ellipse shape. You have to look closely but you can make out the edges of these areas if you look at a sharp angle with sun reflecting off. When I run my hand over these areas, they are prefectly smooth however you can feel the edges of the areas. From straight you can't see these "spots", also in less than bright sun they can't be identified. The paint looks perfect, it almost appears as if the spots are in the clear coat. I closely inspected the rest of the car and no other "spots" can be found.

Has anyone seen this before? Does this seem as though the hood has been damaged at some point in time in the past?
When I talked to my salesman about this his repsponse was this is just the way the paint is.

I will post some pictures as soon as I can replicate the conditions for viewing.
I could be where bird crap sat and dried. That will etch it every time.

I always carry a bottle of quick detailing spray and a rag in my trunk for any such thing.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by nickolas_g' post='578703' date='May 12 2008, 10:13 AM
I could be where bird crap sat and dried. That will etch it every time.

I always carry a bottle of quick detailing spray and a rag in my trunk for any such thing.
I agree , sounds like bird crap !
Old 05-12-2008, 07:18 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OptimusPrime' post='578701' date='May 12 2008, 06:07 PM

Seems like it's an old dings repair that they haven't take good care of it's primer (let it appropriately dry) before they do the paintjob :thumbsdown:
Old 05-13-2008, 07:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

sound like a bad paint repair.
I dont think it bird crap. or if itis that bird must love the BMW logo.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:20 PM
Members

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='579912' date='May 13 2008, 11:28 PM
sound like a bad paint repair.
I dont think it bird crap. or if itis that bird must love the BMW logo.
I agree, I think it is bad paint repair on the hood. It is unlikely that a bird would have crapped in 3 places, all around the badge.

Is the dealer "responsible" for fixing this, per the guidelines of the CPO? I haven't seen the checklist so I am not sure if this is a requirement of the CPO process.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:08 AM
Members

I have the same thing on my hood. I noticed it the day I picked it up brand new. Went round and round with the dealer a few times but, they claim they could never see it. It is only visible in certain light conditions (like bright sunlight) and at the right angles. I think it is a poor paint job at the factory. Its like the paint is too thin.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:24 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 530d SE. Media Package, Sight and Light Package, Front and Rear Park Sensors, Active Steering, Dynamic Drive, Power Folding Dimming Mirrors, Active Cruise Control, Logic 7, Sunroof, Sports Steering Wheel, Advanced Aircon, Comfort Seats, Heated Seats, Oscillating Seats, Air Cooled Seats, Electril Rear Blind, Rear Heated Seats.... probably more that I have forgot! :p

I have this exactly as stated in a few places on my hood. I asked the dealer when I was in and he said it was bird crap that had caused it, BMW would not in that case cover a respray job.