E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Orange Peel

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 11:06 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not a detailing expert (the extent of my expertise is "the best all-hand car wash is that way"), but I was told - maybe incorrectly, that you should not wax or zaino a new car until 2-3 months? This is supposedly to let the original paint seal in? Maybe old wive's tale ...
Old 11-08-2005, 11:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='195270' date='Nov 8 2005, 03:06 PM
I'm not a detailing expert (the extent of my expertise is "the best all-hand car wash is that way"), but I was told - maybe incorrectly, that you should not wax or zaino a new car until 2-3 months? This is supposedly to let the original paint seal in? Maybe old wive's tale ...

Not true. New paint products do not require a cure time.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

I suspect that it can be attributed to the baked powder clearcoat process that BMW uses. I see the effect on my car, but it is not pronounced. My '98 528 has a smoother surface which I think was applied using conventional spraypaint.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:18 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='195258
It indeed looks like it has been repainted. How does your hood look?

The orange peel effect is the same over the entire car. However, it's not something you readily notice unless the car is super clean and polished to a mirror-like finish. Then, when you look closely across the body - like in a reflection of a tree - you can notice the paint surface is somewhat bumpy like an orange peel (it just looks bumpy - it feels as smooth as glass).

I suspect that most cars are like this, but I've never paid this much close attention before, and I've never kept up a finish this fanatically before either.
[/quote]

It is not because you have polished it so much, you have noticed it because you have spent so much time with your face 12 inches from the paint.
Every car has blemishes, and if you spend too much time going over your car in such detail, you will drive yourself crazy with what you find. I am speaking from experience.

I do agree the picture represents a severe level of orange peel, and I agree the clearcoat process used now is crap.

I am currently waiting for a BMW NA rep to look at my car for ecessive chipping and white blemishes in the clearcoat.

Clearly bad paint.

Dealer already ruined the clearcoat by trying to remove the white spots with a clay bar, and on top of that, they put several scratches in the paint.

They had the car for 2 days and the paint came back with 2 more chips on the hood from going through their car wash.

Good luck.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:19 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by stream' post='195261' date='Nov 8 2005, 01:55 PM
While pix aren't perfect representations of reality, and black cars show orange peel more than lighter colors, I'd say that is more pronounced orange peel than I would consider normal or acceptable for a BMW. Take it to a high end body shop and have them put a paint meter on it, to see if it was (badly) repainted. Color sanding would help a bit, but if the orange peel is too pronounced you risk sanding through the clear coat.

FWIW, the orange peel on my car is very minimal.
I'm sure black does pronounce the effect ... compared to lighter colors as you say. But I can't qualify mine as being minimal. Anyone else with Jet Black see this on their cars?

Here's a shot of my front hood - the reflection is great - but see how lines that are supposed to be straight (such as the rain gutter) look wavey? This is the effect of the less-than-even surface.

Am I being too picky?
Attached Thumbnails Orange Peel-more_reflections.jpg  
Old 11-08-2005, 11:20 AM
Senior Members

Take a look in my gallery.
I have a pic of my car from almost the same angle. You will also see some orange peel but not nearIy as pronounced.

(sorry I would post the pic here, but I am not near my PC and am replying from my phone)
Old 11-08-2005, 11:38 AM
Senior Members

Is 10 coats = you waxed the car ten times ?? Or what does it mean ??

I usually use a light cleaner and after that a wax, is that = 2 coats ?

Old 11-08-2005, 11:51 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by E60Sim' post='195294' date='Nov 8 2005, 02:38 PM
Is 10 coats = you waxed the car ten times ?? Or what does it mean ??

I usually use a light cleaner and after that a wax, is that = 2 coats ?

I've put on six applications of Zaino #5 (with a gloss spray in between) and four coats of Zaino #2 (again with gloss spray in between). I don't count the gloss spray as a coat / layer.

I did four coats the first weekend I had the car, and then I've added 2 coats each time I've washed the car. Now it's ready for winter ... except for the snow tires ... those are next.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:26 PM
Members

Before I bought my 545i this spring, I looked at several dealers stock, for just
this issue. Every car and every color had orange peel. Maybe not quite like
yours, but possibly you've aggrevated its appearance due to the extensive
waxing. Dealers I discussed this issue with made like they didn't even know
what orange peel was, let alone that their cars had it. Naturally, black is going
to be the toughest color for any type of defect. If this bothers you enough, go
to a professional body shop and have them wet sand the car. Done with a fine
enough grit, they can make it go away. Don't even dream of doing it yourself,
though, unless you are confident of what you're doing.
Better yet, stay inside, drive, and enjoy your car! From 10 feet or so it's not
really obvious anyway.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

I have noticed the orange peel on my black 2001 e39. But you have to look close, like the photo you took. It has never bothered me because it still looks fantastic after 4.5 years. I have only had it waxed twice. I think some degree of orange peel is normal, no? Wasn't your car held up at the VPC for a long time or am I confusing you with someone else. Maybe they repainted it there.

Quick Reply: Orange Peel