E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Orange Peel

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 10:10 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Overall, the paint job on my new 550 is OK ... but it seems like the quality of BMW paint jobs is not what is was even 5 years ago. As others have mentioned here, the clear coat seems a bit soft and is very susceptible to chips & scratches.

My Jet Black car - now with 10 coats of Zaino - looks rich and deep. But it does have an orange peel-like quality to it. Is it just my car ... or does yours have a similar look to the surface?
Attached Thumbnails Orange Peel-orange_peel.jpg  
Old 11-08-2005, 10:13 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='195235' date='Nov 8 2005, 09:10 PM
Overall, the paint job on my new 550 is OK ... but it seems like the quality of BMW paint jobs is not what is was even 5 years ago. As others have mentioned here, the clear coat seems a bit soft and is very susceptible to chips & scratches.

My Jet Black car - now with 10 coats of Zaino - looks rich and deep. But it does have an orange peel-like quality to it. Is it just my car ... or does yours have a similar look to the surface?
Seems repainted !!

Does the whole car looks like this ??
Old 11-08-2005, 10:15 AM
JDN
Contributors

Dude, you need to watch what you park next to.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

It indeed looks like it has been repainted. How does your hood look?
Old 11-08-2005, 10:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 550i M Sport Package - Alpine White/Blk Nasca Leather, Premium hi-fi system, Sat Radio, Nav, Cold Weather Package, Value Package, Shift Paddles, Comfort Access keyless entry, Power rear Sunshade, Front Ventilated seats, Split fold-down rear seats, Heated rear seats, Automatic high beams

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='195235' date='Nov 8 2005, 02:10 PM

wow! 10 coats. I just started the process and got 2 coats done (spraying Z6 between each one) I think I'm going to try for 5 coats before my arm falls off.

I have orient blue and looks great so far. I don't see the orange peel effect on mine. don't know if your camera just picked up that much detail but to the naked eye from close I dont see what u see.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:40 AM
Contributors

Maybe you waxed it to much?????
Old 11-08-2005, 10:46 AM
A90
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have a look at this post link. This does not look like a orange peel skin type of paintjob.

I have not seen any thing like that since now. I would doubt if that was accepted by BMW quality control.

Good luck with it.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:46 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by drjochen' post='195247' date='Nov 8 2005, 01:25 PM

The orange peel effect is the same over the entire car. However, it's not something you readily notice unless the car is super clean and polished to a mirror-like finish. Then, when you look closely across the body - like in a reflection of a tree - you can notice the paint surface is somewhat bumpy like an orange peel (it just looks bumpy - it feels as smooth as glass).

I suspect that most cars are like this, but I've never paid this much close attention before, and I've never kept up a finish this fanatically before either.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 550i M Sport Package - Alpine White/Blk Nasca Leather, Premium hi-fi system, Sat Radio, Nav, Cold Weather Package, Value Package, Shift Paddles, Comfort Access keyless entry, Power rear Sunshade, Front Ventilated seats, Split fold-down rear seats, Heated rear seats, Automatic high beams

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='195258

The orange peel effect is the same over the entire car. However, it's not something you readily notice unless the car is super clean and polished to a mirror-like finish. Then, when you look closely across the body - like in a reflection of a tree - you can notice the paint surface is somewhat bumpy like an orange peel (it just looks bumpy - it feels as smooth as glass).

I suspect that most cars are like this, but I've never paid this much close attention before, and I've never kept up a finish this fanatically before either.
[/quote]

So what u are saying is that by the time I get to 5 coats I'll have half of an orange peel effect.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:55 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

While pix aren't perfect representations of reality, and black cars show orange peel more than lighter colors, I'd say that is more pronounced orange peel than I would consider normal or acceptable for a BMW. Take it to a high end body shop and have them put a paint meter on it, to see if it was (badly) repainted. Color sanding would help a bit, but if the orange peel is too pronounced you risk sanding through the clear coat.

FWIW, the orange peel on my car is very minimal.

Quick Reply: Orange Peel