E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

the old Dunlop Sport Runflat TSB issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 05:14 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 530iA

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='608226
Wish I had my RFT's back.
how do you mean this?
Old 06-23-2008, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by studavis' post='607086
You're welcome, although I am hardly the one to thank. I just kept an old thread and idea alive. I think it was actually Rudy that turned me onto the idea a year ago, and i just finally took care of it and reported on it.

I thought it was a great savings too - I am guessing $1200 at least? A great benefit from this great forum!
To be honest, I think this entire forum is to thank -- back in the fall of 2004, we were the first people to begin an organized complaining process which eventually led to the TSB being issued...
Old 06-23-2008, 11:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 550 i, mystic blue, black leather, cold weather package, nav, sport, shades, bags, rear heat, V1 hardwired. 05 F350 TD Crew Cab 04 Range Rover HSE 91 964 C4 Cabrio 07 997 Turbo Cabrio

Update from the dealership. I met with my SA today, and showed him the wear on my tires. I thought the rear tire was the worst, but he said that both front tires had the scalloping, and so they were going to replace all four tires for free. That's rightl, Free. They did ask me to pay for a $75.00 alignment. The new stuff hits ground Thursday, I even get a loaner car. If there ever was a reason to belong to this great community, this is it. If not for this fourum, this tire problem would have cost me almost $1800.00. I sure appreciate the help. Rudy, you are not giving yourself enough credit. Even though you have that pic of Ted Bundy on your posts, I really appreciate your contributions. Lawguy, have you read the contract carefully in regards to the maintinance agreement that BMW will provide? Talk about an invitation to a Class Action feast.....
Old 06-23-2008, 05:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550, Sports Package, Premium Package, Navigation, Winter Package
Model Year: 2006

This totally sucks as I'm about to go pass 20,000 and don't think I can get to the dealer intime. A friend who works in the tire business noticed the wear on my tire a few months ago and mentioned that there was something wrong with it but I blew him off as talking nonsense. I did notice the noise of the tires but thought that was a result of having run flats.

I wonder if they have any leway above 20,000 as by the time I get to the dealership I may be over by a couple hundred miles.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Anthracite Maple | 6 Speed Manual | Sport Package | Logic 7 | Sirius Satellite Radio
Model Year: 2005

I brought my car to the dealer today and had a set of Dunlop run-flats installed. This is the second set of free Dunlop run-flats I have had installed since I bought the car. I bought the car used and it had 23,000 miles on it. It was a CPO and it had four new Dunlop run-flats on it. At 40,000 miles they put four new Dunlop run-flats on it. Now at 53,000 miles they put on another set of Dunlop run-flats on it.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by options' post='608706' date='Jun 23 2008, 09:45 PM
This totally sucks as I'm about to go pass 20,000 and don't think I can get to the dealer intime. A friend who works in the tire business noticed the wear on my tire a few months ago and mentioned that there was something wrong with it but I blew him off as talking nonsense. I did notice the noise of the tires but thought that was a result of having run flats.

I wonder if they have any leway above 20,000 as by the time I get to the dealership I may be over by a couple hundred miles.
Do you change over to snow tires in the winter? If so, then the runflats don't have as many miles on them as the odometer indicates. If the dealer is aware that you run snows (or if you can convince them that you do) then you should be okay under the TSB...
Old 06-25-2008, 03:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 520 D SE Standard Car, Deep Sea Blue Metalic

It would be interesting to know if anyone in the UK had benefited from this. My tyres are Dunlop and at 18000 miles from new have become very noisy.
Checked them for wear and they will need replacing very soon - 18000 doesnt seem a lot of miles - although the fronts have a bit more life - the rears are very close to the bar.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:27 AM
Members

Contacted a dealer yesterday and the service advisor was not aware of this TSB so I had to fax it to him. Still waiting for him to call me back.

And the snow tire change would make perfect sense so thank you for that suggestion.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 550 i, mystic blue, black leather, cold weather package, nav, sport, shades, bags, rear heat, V1 hardwired. 05 F350 TD Crew Cab 04 Range Rover HSE 91 964 C4 Cabrio 07 997 Turbo Cabrio

Picked up the 550i from the dealer with the new shoes. A few observations, the first being how much quieter the car is with the new set of rubber. Dealer informed me that there was a batch of the Dunlops made with a bad mix of compounds that caused the problem, and this is why BMW stuck with them. 2nd observation was the loaner car, an 08 535xi wagon. at least twice as quiet as the 550i and a real difference in power. Not so much that the 535 is slouch, but you get an appreciation for the V8 on launches. It could be me, but it is very disconcerting to sit in a cockpit identical to my car, and have everything sort of the same, but not. The loaner car also had about a million phones paired to the blue tooth, started making me wonder how much other information gets stored in the idrive.

Again, thanks for the heads up on this lawguy..
Old 07-02-2008, 06:27 AM
Members

Was on my way to the dealer yesterday morning and stopped by the gas station and to my surprise I noticed that I have Bridgestone's on and not Dunlops.

The Bridgestones exhibited the same characteristics as the noted Dunlops so I was convinced that I had Dunlops. So I will assume that all runflats are noisy and can't wait until the tread wears out so that I can change them.

Luckily I checked before going to the dealer.

Quick Reply: the old Dunlop Sport Runflat TSB issue