E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Oil change every 7,000 miles overkill?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 08:06 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

I found the following on another site and I think it makes a lot of sense regarding what oil you should use and often you should change it:

I have been crusing through this site and noticed there is a lot of misinformation and confusion about oil. Here are a few things you should know about oil for BMW's:

1) All new BMW's require synthetic. As far as weight, only certain production dates of M3's and M5's require the use of Castrol TWS 10w-60.

2) The Factory BMW Synth 5w-30 is a version of Castrol TXT Softect sold overseas. A few important things about the BMW oil a) it is a Group III hydrocracked oil which cannot be called synthetic in Europe, b) it is a heavy 30 weight (30 weight can run from 9.3-12.5cst@100c, the BMW oil is about 12.2cst), c) it is a ACEA A3 oil which means that it is approved for longer change intervals and has a HTHS (High Tempurature High Shear) measured at 150c of greater than 3.5.

3) In the US, the only Group IV PAO Synthetics that are available are 1) Mobil 1, 2) Amsoil (but not the Xl-7500), 3) Royal Purple, and 4) German Castrol 0w-30 (it has the red label and says on the back, "Made in Germany). Redline is a Group V PolyEster based oil. All other Castrol, Quaker State, Pennzoil, Valvoline "synthetics" are a Group III hydrocracked oil. It is debated how much better Group IV base oils are than group III, but generally they are considered better.

4) When looking for oil for any BMW that does not require Castrol TWS 10w-60, you want to purchase an oil that has either/both of the following ratings, a) ACEA A3, or b) BMW LL-98 or LL-01.

5) Note that Mobil 1 0w-30, 5w-30, and 10w-30 are NOT ACEA A3 or BMW LL approved oils. This is because they all are thin 30 weight oils (approximately 9.8-10 CST@ 100c) and have HTHS of approximately 3.1. Mobil 1 0w-40 and 15w-50 are A3 rated and the Ow-40 is BMW LL-01 approved. For 99% of climates and users 0w-40 or 5w-40 is the appropriate grade. There are some 0w-30 and 5w-30 oils (like the BMW 5w-30) that are forumlated on the heavier end of the 30 weight scale and are accordingly rated A3. These oils will work well also. LOOK FOR THAT ACEA A3 rating. If the oil doesn't have it, pass on it.

6) Some people seem confused about how oil thickness is measured. The first number (0W, 5w, 10w, 15w, etc) is a measurement of how thick the oil is at tempuratures of -35c- -20c (depends on the grade). The lower this first number the thinner the oil is at LOW tempuratures. The second number (30, 40, 50) refers to oil thickness at 100c (operating tempurature). 30 weight can be from 9.3-12.5 cst, 40 weight from 12.6-16.2 cst, 50 weight from 16.3-22cst (approximate). So you can have two oils, one called a 5w-30 (i.e. bmw oil) another 0w-40 (Mobil 1) that are very similar thicknesses at operating tempurature. Compare this to Mobil 1 Xw-30 which is close to a 20 weight oil at 100c. For more information here is a link with exact numbers http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/visc.html

7) BMW's recommended interval of 12,000-15,000 miles is to long. Used oil analysis has shown the BMW oil is generally depleted at 10,000 miles. Running it longer results in excess wear. It is highly recommended that you change your oil once between each BMW recommended interval (approx 7000-7500 miles). If you want to run your oil the BMW recommended interval, I would suggest that you use Mobil 1 0w-40 or Amsoil 5w-40 and change the oil filter at 7500 miles. I would encourage a full oil change at 7500 if you want your engine to last.

8) If you want to spend a few hours learning about oil, go to bobistheoilguy.com

Cary
Old 03-02-2007, 08:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='397914' date='Mar 2 2007, 08:41 PM
I know some 1 will post something like that
for got to say $20 is for the man hrs , I buy the oil and the filter my self.

Hahahha ya that would be me! Chip oil ahhahahaha I like that... actually its suppose to be called "chip fat" but eh oh wells... and I'm not a Bloke.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:57 AM
Members

My Ride: Soon to be delivered 523iA

Originally Posted by gwf545' post='397919' date='Mar 3 2007, 06:06 AM
7) BMW's recommended interval of 12,000-15,000 miles is to long. Used oil analysis has shown the BMW oil is generally depleted at 10,000 miles. Running it longer results in excess wear. It is highly recommended that you change your oil once between each BMW recommended interval (approx 7000-7500 miles). If you want to run your oil the BMW recommended interval, I would suggest that you use Mobil 1 0w-40 or Amsoil 5w-40 and change the oil filter at 7500 miles. I would encourage a full oil change at 7500 if you want your engine to last.
hmm, I just had my oil changed by BMW at approx. 27,000 km (petrol car). This was the interval indicated by the car's maintenance logic. Before that, I had to refill approx. 1 liter of oil twice (roughly every 10,000 km).

Does BMW really recommend change intervalls as low as 12,000-15,000 miles in the U.S.?

BTW, what's the source of this oil analysis you are quoting?
Old 03-03-2007, 03:54 AM
Members

Tip to UK owners.. a certain well known exhaust & tyre centre, give full Mobil 1 oil & filter change for less than you can do it yourself for. ?35, about the same as half a tank of fuel. I have mine changed every 7500 miles purely for my own peace of mind & it needn't be too expensive. I know Mobil 1 does hold up well, but a change can only do good, however slight.

My BMW dealer does use Mobil 1, said so on last service receipt ( ?70 charged for it! ), they have a huge tank of it in the workshop, doubt if they pay much per litre at the quantities they buy!. A mate of mine buys his in french supermarket for a fraction of the UK price & leaves it in the car for them to use at service time. I'm sure they dont ike it, but saves a few pounds.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:13 PM
zen
Members

Mobil 1 Extended Performance
You've never seen an oil like this before. Mobil 1? Extended Performance is a high-endurance motor oil designed for longer service intervals. It is a fully synthetic formulation that helps extend engine life, reduce oil breakdown and minimize engine wear -- all while helping to keep your engine clean. Improvements that add up to exceptional protection for 15,000 miles. Guaranteed.

Mobil 1
Extended Performance
15W-50
Available in a 15W-50 grade, Mobil 1? Extended Performance
15W-50's high viscosity provides outstanding performance in high-revving, high-temperature conditions.

Mobil 1 Extended Performance 15W-50 meets the following industry approvals:

ACEA A3, B3/B4

API SM

It also meets the requirements for diesel powered vehicles where an API CF or CD oil is recommended.

All Mobil 1 Extended Performance viscosity grades have been tested to be fully compatible with engine seals and conventional oils. They do not require a special oil filter.

Mobil 1 Extended Performance motor oil is designed for today's longer service intervals. Mobil 1 Extended Performance with the Advanced SuperSyn System helps keep engines running like new and helps extend engine life by reducing wear and oil breakdown. Please follow the recommendations in your owner's manual while your car is under warranty.

For more information, see the Mobil 1 Extended Performance Product Data Sheet.
http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil...e/Homepage.aspx

To check out your model: http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil...r.aspx?option=1

Current Vehicle:
Year: 2006
Make: BMW
Model: 530i
Engine Type: 6cyl. 3.0Liter Naturally Aspirated

Mobil 1 0W-40
A fully synthetic motor oil, Mobil 1 0W-40 with SuperSyn Technology exceeds industry standards and the major leading builder requirements, enabling the product to keep performing well after conventional oils cannot. Mobil 1 is recommended by leading car manufacturers as initial fill.

This website contains the most current information available at the time of website launching, and is updated periodically. Always consult your vehicle manufacturer's manual for information specific to your automobile.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by Uk525i' post='397983' date='Mar 3 2007, 08:54 PM
Tip to UK owners.. a certain well known exhaust & tyre centre, give full Mobil 1 oil & filter change for less than you can do it yourself for. ?35, about the same as half a tank of fuel. I have mine changed every 7500 miles purely for my own peace of mind & it needn't be too expensive. I know Mobil 1 does hold up well, but a change can only do good, however slight.

My BMW dealer does use Mobil 1, said so on last service receipt ( ?70 charged for it! ), they have a huge tank of it in the workshop, doubt if they pay much per litre at the quantities they buy!. A mate of mine buys his in french supermarket for a fraction of the UK price & leaves it in the car for them to use at service time. I'm sure they dont ike it, but saves a few pounds.
That is very cheep. cheeper than HK.
in HK itis about ?65 for the same oil and filter.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

If I can spend 50K plus on a car, I can afford 90 bucks to get the oil changed every other 7500 miles. If you lease the vehicle and plan on turning it in, then I guess every 15K will suffice. As I mentioned before, the single best thing you can do for your engine is to change the oil.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:02 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jrsamps' post='398505' date='Mar 5 2007, 03:25 AM
If I can spend 50K plus on a car, I can afford 90 bucks to get the oil changed every other 7500 miles. If you lease the vehicle and plan on turning it in, then I guess every 15K will suffice. As I mentioned before, the single best thing you can do for your engine is to change the oil.
So the new synthetic oils have no real purpose (other than improving profitability of lubricant sales) or benefit?

ABC
Old 03-05-2007, 12:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='398595' date='Mar 5 2007, 05:02 PM
So the new synthetic oils have no real purpose (other than improving profitability of lubricant sales) or benefit?

ABC
Old 03-05-2007, 04:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by lcc014' post='397568' date='Mar 2 2007, 09:22 AM
I still prefer to undo the drain plug to change oil that way. I use ramp instead of jack. This will get more used oil out of the pan than sucking the oil up.
As far as sucking the oil out; awhile ago there was quite a bit of controversey about oil being left in the pan after sucking it out through the dip stick tube. A few guys said they drained the oil out through the dip stick tube and to prove a point they jacked the car up and removed the drain plug to see if there was any oil left in the pan. They all said the amount was so small that it wasn't even a concern. Its cleaner and faster to suck it out than to drain it and as a matter of fact some posters said that there dealers use that method rather than the drain plug. Good luck in what ever way you do it. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.
cheers
vern

Quick Reply: Oil change every 7,000 miles overkill?