E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official G-Meter Testing Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 10:51 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Znod suggested I mention some of the features of the Gtech RR meter that I opted for and he is going to upgrade to as well.

I liked the Gtech RR specs and software features and the whole Gtech web site seems to be very professional and tailored to "performance" use of its products
I took a look at their forum and it has some activity but not as much as I would have expected or would like to see.

Some of the features I noted:

Rollout settable from 0-16 inches in 4 inch increments (plan to set at 12?)
Store up to 30 runs, with selectable delete
Can measure to any desired speed, will store all intermediate data up to 1/4 mile.
In dragstrip mode captures 60 ft time, 330ft time, 0-60 time, 1/8 time and trap speed, 1000 ft time, 1/4 time and trap speed (will omit any measurements not collected if less than ? mile)
Graphs RPM which shows shift points, time and duration, etc.
Graphs of speed (MPH) vs time in 10 mph increments,
HP graphs vs time.
RPM not required other than to get only RPM Related things - shift points, shift timing, etc.
You can set up special 0-xx-0 runs if you like without doing 1/4 mile runs.
PASS software for running on computer to collect and analyze data.

Here are some meter display shots (3) from manual (remember, mine is coming still and not in my hands yet). Also fuzzy pic of the PASS analyses software used in the dragstrip mode. Also has a road racing set of software analytical tools

This ?ol geezer still loves his toys.
Attached Thumbnails The Official G-Meter Testing Thread-gtech_rr_analyze_display.jpg   The Official G-Meter Testing Thread-gtech_rr_analyze_display2.jpg   The Official G-Meter Testing Thread-gtech_rr_analyze_display3.jpg   The Official G-Meter Testing Thread-gtech_rr_pass.jpg  
Old 02-08-2006, 11:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,manufactured 2-27-08,delivered 4-2-08.Platinum bronze,natural brown interior,light poplar trim,cold weather package,heated rear seats,HD radio

Originally Posted by Znod' post='236780
Hopefully it's just that your car is a "slow" learner.It appeared that your times were improving right before you went back to the dealer.
I also am amazed that I was able to get good times with DTC/DTS engaged.I don't know if this will continue but it is the only way I can get moving without massive wheelspin.I intend to go back to doing things manually when the weather warms up.My earlier experiences with the controls engaged were also a disaster.I abandoned this method after only a few tries.I cannot explain my sucess now with controls on but I will continue to test in this manner for now.

PS. If I duplicate my pm info to you Znod this will remain my method of choice.
Maybe 20 broke your DSC/DTC. I wish it had broken mine. I hate the idea that if I start with about the right amount of wheel spin, then the Step is likely to shift way early--producing a dead spot. The effect, at that point, is like having DSC/DTC on off the line. Ugh! I think your car needs new tires. And, I hope my car is just a slow learner. I understand about the PM.
[/quote]

If they broke theDSC/DTC it's going to stay broke.No more updates for me.I didn't want 20.01 but they replaced a computer module for the adaptive headlights and said it was necessary to reprogram.

Your right about me needing new tires.They work very good in warm weather but are terrible when cold.Probably will change at about 30000 miles,presently at about 19500.

I had a similar problem with early shift but was due to excessive wheelspin causing engine to go to 6500 at very low speed.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Thanks much cd. What did you mean by the bold in:

"In dragstrip mode captures 60 ft time, 330ft time, 0-60 time, 1/8 time and trap speed, 1000 ft time, 1/4 time and trap speed (will omit any measurements not collected if less than ? mile)"?
Old 02-08-2006, 12:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by Znod' post='236870' date='Feb 8 2006, 02:58 PM

"In dragstrip mode captures 60 ft time, 330ft time, 0-60 time, 1/8 time and trap speed, 1000 ft time, 1/4 time and trap speed (will omit any measurements not collected if less than ? mile)"?
A little bit off topic . . . how you get a wheelspin on a steptronic without brake torque and dsc/dtc off? Either I have a lazy foot or my car is lazy from the start. Maybe my tires need to be worn in? What gear and what rpm does the wheel spin start on the step tranny?
Old 02-08-2006, 12:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='236901' date='Feb 8 2006, 04:34 PM
A little bit off topic . . . how you get a wheelspin on a steptronic without brake torque and dsc/dtc off? Either I have a lazy foot or my car is lazy from the start. Maybe my tires need to be worn in? What gear and what rpm does the wheel spin start on the step tranny?
Hi B32

Before 20.01.00, I almost always had significant immediate wheel spin in DS on reasonably good asphalt surfaces. So, the spin occurred in first and almost immediately, although I am not quite sure exactly what the RPM would have been. Now, I only occassionally get wheel spin, and it never is excessive--as it often was before.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:50 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='236821' date='Feb 8 2006, 02:51 PM
Znod suggested I mention some of the features of the Gtech RR meter that I opted for and he is going to upgrade to as well.
Hokay. As predicted my Pro RR arrived today, and I am doing some reading. I presume the setup will be very similar to my ex Pro SS. However, I won't be using the RR on my 545i for a while. Tomorrow morning I am thinking of going to a test track at a local raceway. It is possible to do a full 1/4 there. I am planning to do a 1/4 both ways using D. I might as well get the bad news. I might follow up using DS, but I think that my car experiences the heat-sink effect when doing too many runs in a short period of time. So, it probably would be better to go back the following day to try DS. I have not made a firm commitment here; I'd have to get up pretty early.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Znod' post='236870' date='Feb 8 2006, 03:58 PM

Simply that the item will be listed but be all "0" if u aborted early from say a 1/4 mile attempt. If you get to 60 MPH and then backed off it place all a 0 value in any time or distance you did not reach after 60 MPH.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:38 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='237076

Simply that the item will be listed but be all "0" if u aborted early from say a 1/4 mile attempt. If you get to 60 MPH and then backed off it place all a 0 value in any time or distance you did not reach after 60 MPH.
[/quote]
Thanks cd, from one "ole geezer" to another.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,manufactured 2-27-08,delivered 4-2-08.Platinum bronze,natural brown interior,light poplar trim,cold weather package,heated rear seats,HD radio

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='236901

[/quote]

With DSC/DTC off I can get tremendous wheelspin with very little effort.Even if I am already moving in first gear when I go to full throttle the tires go up in smoke.Of course I do not have sport package so I have less agressive tires.When the weather is warmer(above 55 F) the wheelspin is much less and is controllable.The Goodyear RSA tires are much worse for traction in cold weather.

Originally Posted by Znod' post='237060
Hokay. As predicted my Pro RR arrived today, and I am doing some reading. I presume the setup will be very similar to my ex Pro SS.
[/quote]

Wow Znod I wish I had your dealer.My dealer is very helpful with problems and has treated me well.

Also it will be very interesting to see your comparative times with the Pro RR.

Good luck in your testing and keep the faith .There has to be an answer to your slower times.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:18 PM
Contributors

The site is flat and level. I am not too sure when I'll start using the RR on the 545i, but pretty soon. And, yes, I am interested in seeing how the meters compare.

There may be an answer for me, but I don't think that BMW corporate is very simpathetic. Apparently, their attitude is too bad our new software doesn't work well on your car, and there is no way we'd even think about letting you do a "system restore." On the other hand, I am convicned that my dealer will do everything it can, but dealers' hands get tied very quickly.

Thank you for the good wishes. I am not expecting much. I hope I can break 14.

Quick Reply: The Official G-Meter Testing Thread