E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Now be honest

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 07:25 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Peter530i' date='Jul 23 2005, 03:32 AM
Active steering is for limo drivers and women, ok or for a comfi limo ride. But definitely it is not a high performance or racing stuff because it is simply an piece of electronic, hydraculics controlled by software. Therefore the direct feeling between the wheels and the steering-driver is gone so one can't feel what the car is doing on the road.

Again, it is very "cool" and comfortable feature but definitely not sporty one. If it would be so cool why racing car do not have this...............?
Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo....none of them has it....

And now guys with this feature on their car will punish me hard here for saying that
[snapback]152162[/snapback]
Porsche introduced a similar system on the new Carrera (997). Does that make them limo drivers?

People on the Porsche forums also pissed and moaned when it was first introduced. If you believe that electronics controlled by software don't belong in high performance or racing cars, then I suppose you don't consider F1 cars high performance.

I love AS, and I've been driving Porsches for over 15 years.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

AS is awesome. I love it. I don't feel like I'm disconnected at all and I've tracked many cars over many years. I even drove an AS 545i on BMW's Performance center track and, although it wasn't a full-blown track day, it felt great and was a blast to drive.

I don't have trouble with on- or off-ramps no matter how much my speed decreases, etc.

I find AS to be great for just about any type of driving -- fast, slow, agressive, or mellow. I would be dissapointed if BMW didn't offer it in the future.

BTW, maybe it was a typo on kryptocat's part but in his post above, he said:
Originally Posted by kryptokat' date='Jul 23 2005, 07:24 AM
The only situation I can see why you wouldn't want active steering is when you are slowing down in a deep curve like the Highway exit curves I am not sure how active steering is programmed to act. In my experience as you slow down the ratio changes and thus your steering input will have to increase.
[snapback]152168[/snapback]
If I understand what he's saying correctly, what happens in this case is that as you slow down the ratio changes and your steering input would have to DEcrease, not INcrease. No matter what, in my experiences, it doesn't seem to throw me off one bit. The car simply does what you tell it to do...
Old 07-23-2005, 11:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

as I read the replies it is more like a conflict of who has an AS with those who don't (for whatever reason) ..... J
ust a reminder to my previous comment: I have never said it is a bad feature or whatever I just made my opinion as what is the reason why I did not get AS.
Also I must agree with BetterMakeWay - there are not many positive articles about SA in expert automotive magazines.
Also I must say that I did testdrive a E60 with AS, it is cool but it makes me feel like it is not me who has control over the steering.

Yet again, all is just my opinion

Maybe it is better like this: AS just does not fit the sporty and progressive E60's spirit. AS is more like MB S500 feature, which is a great car but definitely of a different nature then E60
Old 07-23-2005, 11:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

I am quite fond of the on and off ramps. I have experienced many different decellerating and accellerating situations while turning and have yet to see AS as a problem. Two times the AS actually dialed in some counter-steer. It was very seemless and I never felt that the car was driving me. As I was thinking I should start to correct I noticed that the car was already correcting (split second). The first time was on an onramp that I use every day, however some sand was dumped right before the apex . The second time... well, I don't want to talk about that .
Old 07-23-2005, 11:53 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Peter530i' date='Jul 23 2005, 12:20 PM
Maybe it is better like this: AS just does not fit the sporty and progressive E60's spirit. AS is more like MB S500 feature, which is a great car but definitely of a different nature then E60
[snapback]152234[/snapback]
Just don't tell the Porsche engineers that their variable ratio steering doesn't belong in a sporty and progressive car...
Old 07-23-2005, 11:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I love my Active Steering.

I'm in a loaner car right now, new 325i. What an absolute piece of shit. I cannot believe that the new 325 and my 545 are made by the same company. I would be embarrassd by the 3 series.

To begin with, it has no acceleration. You hit the gas, and the car just stands still because it shifts from the essentially non-existent 1st gear... into the 2nd gear practically before you even start moving.

And it doesn't have Active Steering. Normally I don't notice my AS on my car, but put me in a car without it... and I am begging to have it back.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

BETTER!

I drive other cars very often and don't have any problems switching from AS E60's to non-AS cars. And I love the AS on my E60!
Old 07-23-2005, 12:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Peter530i' date='Jul 23 2005, 03:32 AM
Active steering is for limo drivers and women
Really?
Old 07-23-2005, 12:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by swajames' date='Jul 23 2005, 03:10 PM
[quote name='Peter530i' date='Jul 23 2005, 03:32 AM']Active steering is for limo drivers and women
Really?
[snapback]152261[/snapback]
[/quote]

bastard you changed your answer to more polite one?
Old 07-23-2005, 12:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Peter530i' date='Jul 23 2005, 01:22 PM
[quote name='swajames' date='Jul 23 2005, 03:10 PM'][quote name='Peter530i' date='Jul 23 2005, 03:32 AM']Active steering is for limo drivers and women
Really?
[snapback]152261[/snapback]
[/quote]

bastard you changed your answer to more polite one?
[snapback]152270[/snapback]
[/quote]

Quick Reply: Now be honest