E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Now be honest

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 04:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Stoley' date='Jul 24 2005, 03:33 AM
My thoughts exactly...I love it.
[snapback]152360[/snapback]
Me too.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Arrived 3 June 2005: 2005 545i - Orient Blue, Black interior, Sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. What a glorious ride!

I also love my AS. I guess if you don't like it, you shouldn't get it. Easier now that it has been decoupled from the sport pack, but I'm glad that in 2005 it was part of the bundle.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i - Sport - 6spd - Orient Blue with Auburn/Anthracite

I got my '06 530i with the sport package but did not get the AS... I guess it is clearly a matter of wanting an M5 but realizing that I am never going to get one. The M5 doesn't have AS (at least this is what I believe), so a 530i configured as I did mine was as close as I could come.

Hey, isn't a lot of the reason we like these cars the little fantasy we get to have while driving them?

Cheers, Jon.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by DRIVER' date='Jul 23 2005, 05:25 AM
Does active steering make your driving experience better or does it worsen the ridw and feel of the car?????????????
[snapback]152161[/snapback]
Having had active steering on my 530d and conventional steering on my current 535d I can honestly say I don't miss it one bit as I prefer the sharper more direct feel the conventional system offers. Ok AS was good at low speed cornering and parking but for me it just lost all its feel at higher speed. The funny thing was I let a couple of mates have a drive of my old car and they never noticed the AS at all. I say its a waste of money. Only my opinion.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:43 AM
Members

Have they changed AS on the 05'? It seems a little different than my 04.
I love AS and hate it. The main reason my 04 was swapped out was due to major steering problems and the trani, along with a dozen other problems. It feels like the 05 AS is a little stiffer.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

I generally like it. When I drive my wife's 325ix, I notice how many turns of wheel I need when getting out of the garage.

I do admit that I still don't like the twitchy, out of line feeling when accelerating through a corner, which is the AS. But I know it's there, and all of us "steer for results," so I just know to focus on where I'm going, not where the steering wheel is.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:40 AM
Senior Members

mervthederv has put the dot on the i!
and the last posts say it all...
Old 07-24-2005, 12:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

I have a 525 sport w/o the AS, but I drove almost all AS cars during my test drive. I do notice the extra effort it takes in small turns and parking without active steering, especially on BMW, but I also like the consistent nature of the steering at all speeds. I think in my normal everyday driving, I would find the AS a wonderful feature, and I kind of miss it, but I don't trust my wife with it, and since she will one day drive this beauty (she's learning to drive a manual), I would rather have the normal steering.

I understand that 98% of the time I would get the AS enjoyment, but that 2% with her behind the AS wheel would scare the hell out of me. She's not the worst driver, but she might definitely have a problem with AS.

I am fine with my decision not to get it. I understand those that have it and love and wouldn't buy another without it. Your preference, your choice.

On a side now, there is a stretch of road on my way home from work that changes from one lane to two almost instantly and I like to switch lanes as fast as possible going about 50 to 60mph. Let me tell you, the sports package on this thing is wonderful. I don't lose any control, I swerve and it stays as solid as a rock and goes in the direction I put it. No side to side jiration like the caddy commercial, no rear slide out, nothing, just perfect execution. Active steering, sports package, or bare bones, the E60 is a wonderful machine!!!
Old 07-24-2005, 07:23 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Hpdrifter' date='Jul 23 2005, 09:39 PM
[quote name='Bimmer06530i' date='Jul 23 2005, 10:09 AM']

I am especially touched by your comments.

I didn't know till today that my 530i was cheap, stripped down version because I did not have Active Steering.? I also didn't know that I didn't buy AS because I needed to reassure myself of my macho-ness by muscling around the wheel!

Please don't hold back.? Why don't you let know what a bunch of a**holes everyone who doesn?t own a 545 or a 530 or a 525 with the sport package with AS on this board is? driving an inferior vehicle.

I also don't have nav.? Got a problem with that?

[snapback]152199[/snapback]
i didn't say yours was the stripped down version, what I did say was that the one the dealer gave me as a loaner was. It just so happens that it didn't have AS. Now if you want to make the quantum leap that all cars without AS are stripped down that's your business! And you were the one that was questioning the manliness of driving with AS! You posted the coment about only women should drive with it. I simply tried to educate you because you seemed confused about "racing" with you're 530. I tried to tell you that driving your 530 a few miles above the speed limit, hitting off ramps and taking tight turns, while all being fun things to do doesn't equal "racing" and doesn't require absolute touch sensative steering! For every off ramp I take quick or corner I round fast, I park my car and/or turn it around in tight spots 50 times! BTW I don't have nav. either but wish I did!
[snapback]152368[/snapback]
[/quote]

I am not Peter530i who apparently your comments you responded to. I unfortunately had the unpleasant experience to read your post to Peter530i only find out from you I bought a piece of crap based on your comments since the 530i I bought is the equivalent of the strip cheap loaner you so loathed.

Thanks to you now I know what a mistake I made in my purchase and until I sell it will enjoy it just a little less everyday.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

WHY AM I HERE????????

Quick Reply: Now be honest