E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Next Cars

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 11:50 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by LowOrbit' post='299031' date='Jun 17 2006, 02:25 PM
Znod,

Here in Tucson, AZ we have Mount Lemmon. Basically 30+ miles of perfectly paved, twisty mountain roads that are lightly patrolled by the cops. Corners range from hairpins to many fast sweepers with good forward visibility. Maybe try it if you are ever in the area. I push my car to 90% some early weekday mornings (no campers, sightseers etc.), just short of where the electronic guardians kick in. Very entertaining seeing the enormous capabilities of this luxury sedan.

Maybe do a web search (arizona canyon roads etc. as keywords), I would be surprised if PHX did not have some nice areas.

Good luck.
Thanks LO:

We lived in Tucson for 10 years, and have been in Phoenix since 1990, so I know Mt. Lemmon and some other nearby AZ canyons very well. Watch out for the unexpected falling rocks and trees in the road. They fall even early in the mornings. But, really, you must be a much better driver than I am to risk your car and life on a twisty mountain road. Have fun, and be safe. Incidentally, I don't have the confidence you do in the forward visibility on Mt. Lemmon.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:39 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Znod' post='299035' date='Jun 17 2006, 01:50 PM
Thanks LO:

We lived in Tucson for 10 years, and have been in Phoenix since 1990, so I know Mt. Lemmon and some other nearby AZ canyons very well. Watch out for the unexpected falling rocks and trees in the road. They fall even early in the mornings. But, really, you must be a much better driver than I am to risk your car and life on a twisty mountain road. Have fun, and be safe. Incidentally, I don't have the confidence you do in the forward visibility on Mt. Lemmon.
You are definitely right - you cannot take the entire mountain at 90% but there are many areas where you can see ahead at least 1/4 mile as the road twists up the mountain and you can see other cars - however, falling rocks are a different story.

In the last couple years, they completed an entire reconstruction of the mountain roads so they may well be safer than they were 15 years ago. I heard they were pretty horrendous back then.

I know there are a few members in the area (Oro Valley mostly). Anyone else have views on Mt. Lemmon?
Old 06-17-2006, 03:41 PM
Senior Members

i know 'people' who take their car to the edge every day.
no matter if you are in or out of the city, the car's capabilities are always used to the fullest.

the following video is an example of what 'people' i know do daily.
i admit i was a tad concerned when they took a 90degree bend back sliding into a narrow street at 115kph. smoking tires, the neighbourhood was woken up, that was not nice.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XonHlrtC-...ch=bmw%20drift
Old 06-17-2006, 03:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by rollee' post='299093' date='Jun 17 2006, 04:41 PM
no matter if you are in or out of the city, the car's capabilities are always used to the fullest.

i admit i was a tad concerned when they took a 90degree bend back sliding into a narrow street at 115kph. smoking tires, the neighbourhood was woken up, that was not nice.

Ive seen that video... it was posted a long time ago on the M5 messageboard... i think the one recording the drift is a E39 M5.

Hahhaah not really your typical daily drive...
And thats not really edging it... too easy... roads wet... soft drift... I think a 1986 toyota cressida luxury can do that. I'm serious! Supra based chassis dynamics! RWD! Awesome Luxury sedan for its time...

And we dont have that many round a bouts here in the states... at least not where I live... not sure about AZ.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:36 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rollee' post='299093' date='Jun 17 2006, 05:41 PM

Wild - looks like the guy was auditioning for the new movie Fast and Furious: Tokyo Drift.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='299011' date='Jun 17 2006, 01:51 PM
Ahhhhh enlightnment! Now i know why I dont go crazy in corners or twisties... I rather power out of things.... Ok ok I think I knew that already but not sure if i ever put it out in those words for myself...

But I still LIKE to have the handling capability... just in case I ever do accidently take it more than i usually would... I like to have some reserve... So I think thats why I like BMW. they usually build enough reserve in their cars for drivers like me.
Yep, I agree about the reserve. I hope I never need to use it.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:03 PM
Members

My Ride: 525d se auto. black sapphire, 17" 5 spoke 138 style alloys. dark poplar trim, charcoal flat weave cloth, bluetooth phone prep, dimming rear view and side mirrors, lumbar support, heated front deats, phone cradle

Why don't you take a M5 for a test drive? If you still don't like it, then fair enough, but sometimes its worth doing. Or why don't you mod your 545? Add one of them supercharger kits and a sports exhaust? Trade your 545 for a 335i, or 535i and mod it? Would yield great results when tuned being turbo'ed and all. Or trade your corvette for a TVR, they have scary straightline speed, nothing much could keep up, and are pretty rare too. have fun deciding! whatever you choose, you can't go wrong, as you have made the right choice for you.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:59 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 525dse' post='299410' date='Jun 18 2006, 05:03 PM
Why don't you take a M5 for a test drive? If you still don't like it, then fair enough, but sometimes its worth doing. Or why don't you mod your 545? Add one of them supercharger kits and a sports exhaust? Trade your 545 for a 335i, or 535i and mod it? Would yield great results when tuned being turbo'ed and all. Or trade your corvette for a TVR, they have scary straightline speed, nothing much could keep up, and are pretty rare too. have fun deciding! whatever you choose, you can't go wrong, as you have made the right choice for you.
Thanks much. It's not that I wouldn't like the M5; it's just that there are two many negatives. Please check out my original post and, then, add its "slowness" compared to the Mercs that have been disussed. I'd be happier with the 5?0i, an M3 with a presumably high-torque V-8, and my Z06 modded.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:28 PM
Contributors

I finally got around to reading the comparo in the 7/06 issue of Automobile, and I was a tad surprised that there wasn't more difference in the 0-60 times for the E63 AMG versus the M5--4.3 versus 4.7. Also, the E63 didn't look that outdated in the pictures. But, the M5 is better looking IMO. Apparently, the testers liked the handling of the E63 better than the M5, but no handling stats were provided to back up the SOP handling "statistic." The testers disliked the SMG a great deal noting that it is fine for track day, but is a drag for the rest of the week--which is my fear about the SMG.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ya the E class is very nice! it does not look dated at all to me. Well maybe the non AMG versions... AMG versions look soooooo much better.

Quick Reply: Next Cars