E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

newb 550 question

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 04:26 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

Whatever that noise might be take the car to the STEALER and get them to check it. It's 07 so you still have the original warranty for coverage! There is no cost for you.....

Originally Posted by skwab
Hey everyone. Just picked up an 07 550i and I have to say I love this car. I've noticed, however, when I'm slowing down for a corner, or coming to a stop - at low speed - right around 20 mph, there is a pretty noticeable rumble. Any idea what this might be - is it normal or should I have it checked out? Thanks!

And here are a couple of pics:

Old 04-21-2010, 04:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by skwab
Hey or - thanks for the post - I read your thread and it sounds very similar. In either mode, though, the noise is the same - doesnt seem to make a difference. Was your torque converter faulty? Because if it's normal operation then everyone would experience it I would imagine. But the next time I have it in I'll definitely ask them about it.
The master tech. said it was normal. I would assume that everyone with a 545 or 550 and an automatic experiences it. Whether or not they notice it... I wouldn't put it past 99% of the folks here.

Since there was no problem the dealer didn't look at it further. There has not been a single issue with the car, or the torque converter, in the 15k miles I've put on it so far.

It's interesting that your problem does not go away in DS mode though. That resolved my issue.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:53 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Moopai
Whatever that noise might be take the car to the STEALER and get them to check it. It's 07 so you still have the original warranty for coverage! There is no cost for you.....
Maybe - maybe not - early production dates may be just out of warranty. The OP wrote he just picked it up. If it was from a dealer or private party someone should be putting some skin in the game. The proper tires aren't cheap.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:43 AM
Members

Yeah Moopai - there are a few weeks of factory warranty left and I do have an extended on it. So I took it into the dealer (not where I bought it from) and they checked it out for a couple of days and found nothing wrong, which is where they came up with the tire noise diagnosis. Not that they're the end all be all of thoroughness by any means, but they had it for two days checking it out so I think they checked things out fairly well, and he knew what noise I was talking about which helps.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:40 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i Jet Blk, Blk Int, SMG, Sport, Nav, Prem, CW Pack, L7, PDC

I was going to say it sounds like noisy tires. I had Falken tires before (which are noisy and terrible tires btw!) back on my Audi and they were so noisy! My first experience with noisy tires so i'm familiar with the sound they make usually when coasting at around 20mph or applying the brakes and slowing the car down to a stop.

Based on your pictures, I was going to ask what tires you have, but you just answered it. I have the same tires ( http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodyea...ea=Performance )
and they are now getting noisy after almost 30k miles on them. They're great tires, decently cheap (700 for all 4, same rims on my 545i) just a bit on the noisy side after good use. A trade off I don't mind at the moment.

More than likely i'm willing to bet it's your ties. It's a low grumble that you hear only at lowish speeds like 20mph and under. You'll hear it if your car drops to 20mph all the way until you come to a complete stop.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:45 PM
Members

Just an update - finally replaced the tires and the noise is gone. Replaced them with Hankook ventus v12 evos - just driving out of the tire place today I was so happy - so much smoother and quieter - like a completely different car. Even at higher speeds where there wasn't a rumble there is less road noise. So if you're considering Goodyear F1 AS tires don't!