E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Idrive controler

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 12:07 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would appear that the new idrive controller is now on september vehicles starting week 36 according to this posting.
http://www.bmwland.co.uk/talker/viewtopic.php?t=80351

I pick up mine in a few weeks a week 37 due end of september.
Can't wait.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '09 LCI 520dA Business. Alpine White; Heated Standard seats in Beige Fusion Artificial Leather and Light poplar wood trim, high-gloss; Sport Steering Wheel; Automatic A/C with Extended features; Hi-Fi loudspeaker system; Cup holders; Cruise control with brake function; Heated ext. mirrors - folding, auto dimming; Xenons with Adaptive headlights and High-beam Assistant; PDC; Sunblinds for side and rear windows; USB interface; Extended Interior Lights Package; Soft-close doors; Windscreen with green shade band; Elec Fr Seats + Driver Memory; Smokers Package; Floor mats, velour

Originally Posted by jqworle' post='669019' date='Sep 14 2008, 11:07 AM
It would appear that the new idrive controller is now on september vehicles starting week 36 according to this posting.
http://www.bmwland.co.uk/talker/viewtopic.php?t=80351

I pick up mine in a few weeks a week 37 due end of september.
Can't wait.
Great news. I am wishing that this will apply to Finland as well, my car will go into production during week 47. It would be nice to get the new controller.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:36 AM
Senior Members

E60s without satnav will get the new controller but not the new iDrive.

In fact, in the U.S. sales bulletin, the 5er and 6er are among the cars that don?t list the new "information services" that will be available through BMW Assist because those cars are not getting the new iDrive.

Introduction of the new iDrive in the 5er Series will also vary by market I am told.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:49 PM
Members

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='669114' date='Sep 14 2008, 10:36 AM
E60s without satnav will get the new controller but not the new iDrive.

In fact, in the U.S. sales bulletin, the 5er and 6er are among the cars that don?t list the new "information services" that will be available through BMW Assist because those cars are not getting the new iDrive.

Introduction of the new iDrive in the 5er Series will also vary by market I am told.
In the USA build your own, the computer generated drawings do show the new controller. However, when you click on the nav option, the info tells you that it's a DVD based system and it sounds exactly like the previous CCC system. Go to the 3 series build your own and, again, the new controller. But when you click on the nav option it describes a new system (the CIC system with HDD.) In addition, you now must also select the HD radio option in order to get the nav option. Curious as to what the HD radio has in connection with the CIC?

Nonetheless, I'm in agreement with Jonathan that the 5er will not get the new iDrive. Perhaps they'll show up much later in the manufacturing calendar, but who knows....
Old 09-15-2008, 02:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Well, as Jonathan says, the intro is market specific. I understand Europe will have a common launch in November, but even that is "preliminary" so it's just wait and see... Argh, my iDrive will feel like stoneage when the new version is out. Oh, well, Progress, I believe...
Old 09-15-2008, 03:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '09 LCI 520dA Business. Alpine White; Heated Standard seats in Beige Fusion Artificial Leather and Light poplar wood trim, high-gloss; Sport Steering Wheel; Automatic A/C with Extended features; Hi-Fi loudspeaker system; Cup holders; Cruise control with brake function; Heated ext. mirrors - folding, auto dimming; Xenons with Adaptive headlights and High-beam Assistant; PDC; Sunblinds for side and rear windows; USB interface; Extended Interior Lights Package; Soft-close doors; Windscreen with green shade band; Elec Fr Seats + Driver Memory; Smokers Package; Floor mats, velour

Because I have quite much time before I can change the car, I asked my salesman to schedule the production to the week 47. Just in case they will be introducing new iDrive controller in November in Europe.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:45 AM
Members

I don't like the new one at all. Mine is simple, clean and classy,
why the heck all the buttons around it now? I thought it was supposed
to be a clean "one knob" operation?
And if your IQ is higher than 10, iDrive operation is as simple
as anything, not sure why it's been trashed so often in the reviews....
Old 09-15-2008, 08:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by snowboarder550i' post='669632' date='Sep 15 2008, 06:45 AM
I don't like the new one at all. Mine is simple, clean and classy,
why the heck all the buttons around it now? I thought it was supposed
to be a clean "one knob" operation?
And if your IQ is higher than 10, iDrive operation is as simple
as anything, not sure why it's been trashed so often in the reviews....
I might convince myself, too, if I had the older CCC system. As with all technology we live with what we have and learn to use it. It's only when an improved version comes out that we realize the benefits of change.

The new CIC system has a lot going for it, including HDD. That in itself is worth a lot.

Operation of both CCC and CIC will still be "simple." It's not a question of one's IQ.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:29 AM
Members

I order my E61 in June 7th and the car arrive today.
Guess what?? I have the New idrive.
So its possible the new idrive in e60/e61 since now and the price of car is the same for me
Old 09-16-2008, 02:33 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JoseSportM' post='670432' date='Sep 16 2008, 01:29 PM
I order my E61 in June 7th and the car arrive today.
Guess what?? I have the New idrive.
So its possible the new idrive in e60/e61 since now and the price of car is the same for me
But you have the Sat Nav. I think that was quite sure thing that Sat Nav will receive the new iDrive and new controller.

How is the new system? Better than the old one?

Quick Reply: New Idrive controler