E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy here with come navi and CDC questions..

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 10:21 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011

just picked up my first beamer, its a 2004 530i. so far really loving it, drives fantastic and been wanting a e60 for a very long time.

as i realized this was probably the most basic model, no Navigation or now that im reading no CDC connection. i did a lot of research but mostly on mechanics and known faults, not really entertainment wise. but now that im on the road, ive realized i mostly just want to conenct my Ipod or an Aux input (rather stay away from FM ones)

so doing some searching i found that my best bet would be a Dension Gateway 500, problem is my e60 isnt preped for CDC, at least i do not see any types of wiring that would be for a cd changer in the glove box, so how do i go about installing this? i have installed many stereo systems in lot of cars, so im not afraid to take apart anything to do this myself, but i do know i will have to get some coding at the dealership to get Idrive to find the cdc connection, correct? anyone have any links to adding CDC connections? tried searching but came up short.

also, at first it wasn't a big issue about having it, but thought i would ask about adding navigation to my e60. build date is 4/03. what needs to be changed in order to have the navigation? again, labor wise, i think i can handle installations myself and i am very well aware that i will need to take to dealer for programing.

any input of help high appreciated and glad to be apart of 5 series community.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call your dealer and get a printout of the cars ordered options. Should be free. On there, you should see item #694 for cd changer prep.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M-Sport

You'd be surprised how many cars actually do have CDC prep, but it isn't aways immediately apparent when you pull the panel in the back of the glove box - the wires and MOST (fiber optic) cables are often tied up with that cloth-tape and must be found and identified.

If you already have bluetooth in your car, I would go the OEM route for the iPod adapter, and it will come with the necessary wiring and your parts guys should be able to print out the official installation instructions. if you have one stereo's/alarms, you'll ace this.

As far as coding goes, yes the dealer will do it, but why bother. You are in SoCal and there are a lot of people on this forums also from your area that doing coding for these cars.Just ask around, or go to the "Do It Yourself" section of the board and in no time you'll find someone in the coding threads.

To get nav, all you need is a CCC (the navigation head unit with two slots, one for CD and one for the DVD based maps), you'll need the 8.8" monitor, and you'll need a new dash trim panel that allows for the added drive and deletes the pocket below your non-nav radio since the CCC is so bulky. You will also need to find or build a 3 pin fan cable for the cooling fan of the CCC. Why they didn't just integrate the wiring into the head unit is beyond me, but they didn't so that's more work for you. This will all need coding, and you're on the right forum to find that.

All that being said, don't let the seeming complexity/obscurity of what I've written sway you - this stuff is cake once you get your head wrapped around it.

PS: Congrats on the car, and welcome to the forum
Old 09-10-2011, 03:41 AM
Sas
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520i ('04)

Go for the Dension GW with the iPOD adapter. With one unit you will have iPOD, AUX and USB. You can also add BT and AV.
Doing this the OEM way it will probably cost you two GW's.
The Dension comes with all the necessary fiberoptics and connection pieces.
And making your HU CDC enabled is not the problem with all those coders around.

Maybe upgrade to CCC... just a thought .
Old 09-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011

you guys are awesome, thanks for the replies, very helpful, glad to be part of this forum. im new here, so i dont have much knowledge to share yet, but when i learn more, ill always be down to help fellow members.

and your right i did notice a lot of los angeles members, hopefully i can find someone who can help me in the coding department. i have no problem doing installs, just new to the whole programing part. thanks again!