E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with the iDrive!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 10:11 PM
nde
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 BMW 528i Black on Black
Exclamation Need help with the iDrive!

(First Post) Greetings to all the helpful members on this forum. I have found a great deal on info here, and i want to thank you all. I have a 2008 528i with 50K on it in SoCal. The car has a BMW " certified warranty" till 100K but doesn't seem to cover this.

I did the research here, and couple of other sites, the problem is that the idrive works sometimes, sometimes takes 10min to load up, or it doesnt come on at all. The BMW sign flickers on and off. I have done the reset bunch of times, that didn't help. Took out the battery, checked all the wires and fuse. Everything seems to be fine. It has the navigation system on it. I took it to the dealer,(stealer-ship) they are asking $150 just to check it out. The idrive works out of luck. What do you guys suggest? any help will be greatly appreciate it.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

When it flickers does it affect sound/radio? It may be a failing screen. Is there someone you could temporarily swap screens with to test?
Old 09-16-2013, 11:20 AM
nde
New Members

Originally Posted by advancedlogic
When it flickers does it affect sound/radio? It may be a failing screen. Is there someone you could temporarily swap screens with to test?
'
Thank you for the reply, No it doesn't have any affects. This morning worked like a charm since i took the "map DVD" out, seems to be working better. Still searching for ways to fix myself, if not i have to take the bullet and take it to the dealership.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:03 AM
nde
New Members

The battery had died a few weeks back, when the lights where left on. I heard if you replace the baattery that helps? i wonder if i replace the battery and see what happens.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:56 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White 2010 535 M-Sport

Originally Posted by nde
The battery had died a few weeks back, when the lights where left on. I heard if you replace the baattery that helps? i wonder if i replace the battery and see what happens.
A bad battery may present itself in many different ways. For me, my lighting (pathway, and welcome lights) stopped working. After about a week I finely got the "battery discharge" indicator. New battery fixed the issue. The way it was explained to me on the forum is that the computer shuts down non critical functions to run important ones. That is why it may present itself in many ways. I dont know about it shutting down the idrive screen but its plausible.

I would look into the battery. BMWs are expensive and there are many posts on here about using non BMW battery's. Hope its not the screen. God luck.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by plowery21
A bad battery may present itself in many different ways. For me, my lighting (pathway, and welcome lights) stopped working. After about a week I finely got the "battery discharge" indicator. New battery fixed the issue. The way it was explained to me on the forum is that the computer shuts down non critical functions to run important ones. That is why it may present itself in many ways. I dont know about it shutting down the idrive screen but its plausible.

I would look into the battery. BMWs are expensive and there are many posts on here about using non BMW battery's. Hope its not the screen. God luck.
When I had an alternator failure, the first to go is the screen - it would flash on and off as power levels dropped. The radio/audio went out as well. Soon came the ARS, DSC, AFS warnings. Final step is transmission failsafe and lockup to 4th gear. Keep going and it's bye bye to the DME and various engine management systems, leading to stutter and shutdown of the engine. When I upgraded my MASK to CCC, I had the old 6.5 screen. A member here had the same issue being described by the OP. I sold him my screen and it fixed the problem.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:46 PM
nde
New Members

Thank you guys for the info. So today i had the battery diagnosed and was running on 96% charge. Checked auto zone and Pepboys just to make sure. So the battery seems to be fine. I made a appointment with BMW this Friday to have the iDrive diagnose. It's $150 for diagnostic and $300 for software update. Should i just do a software update? or should i have a diagnostic first?
Old 09-19-2013, 07:36 AM
hks
Members

My Ride: E60 550i Sport

having the same problem too. i realize whenever the car has battery/charging issue this happens. the first time my battery was going it happened...this gonna make my second battery change and its the same issue
Old 09-20-2013, 02:13 PM
nde
New Members

So just got the car back from the dear. I was told i have a bad CCC unite. They are asking total of 2K for parts and labor. Stating my CCC unite receives power but doesn't output it. So i guess i have to look into buying a used one online, and have indy around here program it for me so i can save some money. If anyone here has one for sell, let me know. Thank you all again