E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

"Neat tricks" thread!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 11:25 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Microstar' post='479784' date='Oct 10 2007, 09:11 AM
Are there any tricks to prevent my passengers from unlocking their locked doors by pulling the door handle twice?

Just kinda irks me when I am not yet done parking and unlocking all doors, there'll be some passengers who seem to be in a rush to get out of the car...
hey you can change that from the I-drive car settings. you can choose also to unlock you door only instead of all doors. (i hope that this settings is available in the US though!)

omran
Old 10-10-2007, 01:16 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='479782' date='Oct 10 2007, 08:02 AM
Here's a timely trick for those of you with the sports automatic transmission...

If you're like me and came from an SMG car, you use manual sport mode pretty much all of the time. With winter coming up, I was trying to figure out how to start out in second gear (the SMG let you upshift to second while stopped) but every time I upshifted to second while stopped, the car would go right back to first before I had a chance to move.

I just recently discovered that the only way to start off in second gear using manual mode is to turn of the sport mode! Time to bring on the snow!
Thats the same with pre-LCI and LCI Steptronics.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Low tech neat trick to significantly improve comfort Rather than leaving my wallet in my hip pocket, I put it in the slot in between the parking brake and the console. This is much more comfortable.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Low tech neat trick to avoid dings in the door panels In parking structures, I always park with the column on my left. I park as close to that column as possible. This creates better spacing on my left and right for the the two cars flanking me, especially the car to my right.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

Originally Posted by pharding' post='479813' date='Oct 10 2007, 07:35 AM
Low tech neat trick to avoid dings in the door panels In parking structures, I always park with the column on my left. I park as close to that column as possible. This creates better spacing on my left and right for the the two cars flanking me, especially the car to my right.
so youre the guy ive been fighting those spots for! jk a lot of my buddies and I do this as well...but it doesnt make you immune to the random idiot that will still find a way to park all over the lines
Old 10-10-2007, 05:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Originally Posted by pharding' post='479813' date='Oct 10 2007, 07:35 AM
I use that method with an added twist. I always try to park with permanent structures to my right, (left if I backed into the space) i.e. columns, walls, grass dividers etc. The reason, there is a 100% chance that someone will open the drivers door of the car next to me. So, using my method that car's driver will open the door away from my car MOST of the time. Of course this does not stop passengers from dinging you but the chances are much lower. This method is also useless if the person backs into the space....but I find that people often will follow your lead, so if you back in, they will too, so don't.

One last parking tip, I always check my reflection in the car next to me to judge how close I am to that dredded bump stop.....my wife likes this trick, she ripped the outside temp sensor & other assorted parts off our E39 last christmas.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by ipp' post='479804' date='Oct 10 2007, 05:16 AM
Thats the same with pre-LCI and LCI Steptronics.
Except that pre-LCI and LCI Steptronics don't have a sport button...
Old 10-10-2007, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Microstar' post='479784
hey you can change that from the I-drive car settings. you can choose also to unlock you door only instead of all doors. (i hope that this settings is available in the US though!)

omran
[/quote]
You can't change that setting in iDrive -- it's a mechanical thing. It could be worse -- in a Mercedes, the door would unlock and open with only one pull!
Old 10-10-2007, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bardel' post='479790' date='Oct 10 2007, 03:23 AM
Changing Cruise Control Speed

You can alter the cruise control speed at 5mph increments (instead of the usual 1), by pushing or pulling the cruise control stick further than usual. Think of it like the new style indicators where you push slightly for them to work temporary and push harder (until you feel the click) for them to lock on. Push the cruise control stick forward (for faster) and back until it clicks to give you 5Mph increments.

Sorry if this is a lame tip, but I thought it could be done and didn't know how until I found it by mistake.
One minor note about this -- it doesn't increase or decrease in 5mph increments, it rounds it to the next 5mph increment. In other words, if you're cruise is already set to 58mph, pressing the lever forward two clicks will take you up 2mph to 60, not to 63mph (which would be adding 5mph to 58...)

I know, I know, I'm anal! You guys are just going to have to deal with it!!
Old 10-10-2007, 06:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by s4iscool' post='479816' date='Oct 10 2007, 05:14 AM
so youre the guy ive been fighting those spots for! jk a lot of my buddies and I do this as well...but it doesnt make you immune to the random idiot that will still find a way to park all over the lines
I use the same method as there is a pretty good chance that there won't be a passenger in the next car...but it seems all too often when I leave more space on my passenger side then some moron will come along and crowd me on that side anyway...grrr....

Quick Reply: "Neat tricks" thread!