E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

"Neat tricks" thread!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by goingtheresoon' post='1003110' date='Sep 9 2009, 05:00 PM
I came across this a while back and I haven't noticed it on this thread yet.
If you are "parallel parking", put your gear into reserve (manual or auto), and flick the mirror switch to the passenger side. The mirror will automatically tilt downwards so you can see how close to the kerb you are. Great for parking!
Except that I think it's the other way around, the switch needs to be on the driver's side for it to tilt. If you switch it to the passenger side, I'm pretty sure you disable the tilt feature...
Old 09-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

Originally Posted by goingtheresoon' post='1003110' date='Sep 9 2009, 05:00 PM
I came across this a while back and I haven't noticed it on this thread yet.
If you are "parallel parking", put your gear into reserve (manual or auto), and flick the mirror switch to the passenger side. The mirror will automatically tilt downwards so you can see how close to the kerb you are. Great for parking!

BMWs have this for a LONG time
Old 09-09-2009, 01:22 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dcaranci' post='800673' date='Feb 24 2009, 08:31 PM
I think it's mentioned somewhere in this 21 page post, but just in case it's not... from what I can tell this is not mentioned anyplace in the manual, I found it by accident.

After you park and turn off the car (but before you open the door) press the turn signal indicator in either direction. The corresponding tail light and angel eyes come on and stay on solid (not flashing). Apparently this is to mark your car if you're parked on the side of the road so that others driving by at night can see it, and hopefully not hit you. Probably a bigger concern on the narrow roads in europe than here in North America.

Not sure how long they stay on... I let it go almost 12 hours the other day and it was still on. Still plenty of battery left to start up too.

Maybe you all know about this, but I didn't and think it's cool... apparently this is on most all BMWs, and other european cars too.

Just my 2c contribution to this thread!

actually i believe its used for emergency stopping. by only using only either the left or right signals (obviously you would use the side facing traffic) you can save battery power if the car is going to be sitting for a while.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Contributors

heres one for those of you who like to drive with your lights on in the daytime or if you need to turn them on when its not dark enough for your sensor to automatically do it. if you hit your fog lamp switch while the headlamp knob is in auto mode (lights not currently on though) both your fogs and headlamps will turn on. this helps because i always forget to turn them off and risk killing the battery. if you do it like this the lights turn off with the car.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by pgetsch' post='1003137' date='Sep 9 2009, 05:32 PM
heres one for those of you who like to drive with your lights on in the daytime or if you need to turn them on when its not dark enough for your sensor to automatically do it. if you hit your fog lamp switch while the headlamp knob is in auto mode (lights not currently on though) both your fogs and headlamps will turn on. this helps because i always forget to turn them off and risk killing the battery. if you do it like this the lights turn off with the car.
This is a good, undocumented one. I'll definitely try that, thanks for sharing.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:23 AM
Contributors

i came across this feature that most of you probably already have used but it was new to me. i rarely listen to am/fm unless its sports radio but this past weekend i took a day trip to atlantic city (btw, got killed at the blackjack tables). after traveling outside the range of the local nyc stations i found myself manually searching for some local stations and came across the "all stations" option. by pressing the "all stations" option you automatically get the 10 strongest signals is order from lowest frequency to highest. i neat trick if you travel alot. ps, it does not screw with your presets
Old 09-10-2009, 08:58 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pgetsch' post='1003887' date='Sep 10 2009, 11:23 AM
i came across this feature that most of you probably already have used but it was new to me. i rarely listen to am/fm unless its sports radio but this past weekend i took a day trip to atlantic city (btw, got killed at the blackjack tables). after traveling outside the range of the local nyc stations i found myself manually searching for some local stations and came across the "all stations" option. by pressing the "all stations" option you automatically get the 10 strongest signals is order from lowest frequency to highest. i neat trick if you travel alot. ps, it does not screw with your presets

correction - you get all the stations available in that area not 10. i know its not an amazing trick but its better than manually going through the stations
Old 09-15-2009, 09:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 525i
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by MiamiPhill' post='479373' date='Oct 8 2007, 07:28 PM
Comfort Access allows you to lock the doors, close the windows & sunroof by touching, or even leaning against any of the door handles.......yep, you can lock up your car with your butt.
Hey cool , how can you close the windoes and stuff by leaning on door handles ? could u give me some more infos and i never knew this future LOL
Old 09-15-2009, 10:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 525i
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by pgetsch' post='1003137' date='Sep 9 2009, 04:32 PM
wow very helpfull man, does this turn on the angle eyes too ?
Old 09-17-2009, 04:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 2009 520d - Arctic White, Professional, Logic 7

Not so much a trick as a safety feature I found out by accident yesterday. If you take your foot off the brake and undo your seatbelt while in D, it will automatically engage Park. And beep warnings at you not to do it.

Quick Reply: "Neat tricks" thread!