E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Neat tricks" thread!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veight' post='479891' date='Oct 10 2007, 11:55 AM
So funny, just where i keep mine. My cell phone fits in there too when im too lazy to slip it in the snap in adaptor.

I hate stuff in my pockets.
This area holds my iphone and the AUX/CLA for the phone that I have running from rear of the console. When getting out of the car i just wrap the cable from the underside over the top once on the leather boot. They are always there when I return.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:42 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Silber-grau/grau. Vanilla flavored except for cold WX pkg.

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='478777' date='Oct 7 2007, 02:00 AM
... so, any more?
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this so here goes:

Without a key in the ignition if you press the volume button three times the radio will come on. I haven't checked it out put surmise that it will play for a limited time. 10 min?. This will work even if you are not in the car but reach in with the door open. This is not in my manual so I guess it is another "undocumented feature."
Old 09-24-2009, 04:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i Monaco blue/cream beige, light poplar trim, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed manual My other rides: Departed: 2006 530xi Silver gray/black, anthracite maple trim, cold, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed steptronic, bluetooth, adaptive xenons Departed...2002 525i White/beige, 5 sp manual

I guess if anyone ever rode in the back of my car I would have discovered the cubby in that armrest before now Not a neat trick, but still, if you can find something new after 6 months...that's pretty cool!
Old 09-24-2009, 04:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon' post='1015417' date='Sep 23 2009, 11:42 PM

Without a key in the ignition if you press the volume button three times the radio will come on. I haven't checked it out put surmise that it will play for a limited time. 10 min?. This will work even if you are not in the car but reach in with the door open. This is not in my manual so I guess it is another "undocumented feature."
im going to try that before i go out today
Old 09-24-2009, 08:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Week 17 Build, 2008 E60 535d M Sport - Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Automatic gearbox, Steering Wheel Heating, M Double Spoke 172 19" Mixed Wheels, Auto-Dim+Exterior Mirror, Comfort seats, Front Seat Heating, Aluminium Pentan interior trim,DAB Tuner, TV Function, BMW Individual Audio System 825W !!

Originally Posted by melimel' post='1015680' date='Sep 24 2009, 01:48 PM
im going to try that before i go out today
I hope that works, because it is annoying having to have the ignition on to have the radio on when the engines off, or you want to leave a passenger in the car while you take the keys with you, and not leave them any entertainment. I've been trying to figure out how to do this for a while. Fingers crossed it works
Old 09-24-2009, 09:22 AM
Members

I was driving around with low gas symbol, wondering if I was gong to make it to the gas station. Then sitting in line for gas at Costco, I tried to roll the car in neutral, but culdn't figure out how to get it in neutral.

My mechanic showed me to press the start button without the brake on , and then he was able to shift into neutral.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:33 AM
Members

My Ride: Soon to be 2006 530xi Silver on gray. Premium, Premium Sound, Sports(lite), Cold Weather pkgs, Navi

Does not work on my '06 530xi??? Which year is your car?
Old 09-26-2009, 08:12 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 525i LCI - saphire black on black dakota leather, dark poplar wood, moonroof, cruise control, electric seats with memory, nokia 6230i bluetooth + cradle, rain sensor, A/C with extended features, extended lights package, PDC, rear power sunshade, AUX Jack, steptronic, M-Tech steering wheel, 10 Airbags, smokers package, DSC, interior and exterior mirror with anti-dazzel function, business radio; power folding mirrors Mods: iPOD (OEM), BMW OEM floor mats, BMW OEM trunk mat, ///M Aerodyamics kit (OEM), 18" rims style 184 (OEM), 245/45 R18 93Y Contisport, ///M boot-lid spoiler (OEM), OEM Headlight washer system Future Mods: Solaris Invisibulbs - Amber Flash all-round; LED interior kit; LED License Plate; The Mrs.: 2009 e90 320i LCI - Carbon Black, Beige leather interior, Dark Poplar Wood, moonroof, cruise control, electric seats with memory, nokia 6233 bluetooth + cradle, extended lights package, rear power sunshade, NEW I-DRIVE with HDD + 2USB Slots +AUX Jack, steptronic, DSC, Smokers package, business radio Mods:BMW OEM floor mats, BMW OEM trunk mat The cars were manufactured in Egypt! :)

here's one...
when setting the balance and fader of ur speakers, if u roll the i-drive knob quickly in one direction, it jumps to the end immediately.... nothing much but thought i'd share it anyway
Old 09-26-2009, 05:56 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='478777' date='Oct 7 2007, 04:00 AM
Hi all, I've come across a couple of very useful tricks recently buried within certain threads on this forum. I thought it might be a good idea to put them altogether in one place? These are the two I've picked up over the last few days. It's the kind of thing that if you've read the manual you probably know about it already. But if like me you got bored after page 473 and stopped reading, things like this make a huge difference to how I use the car!

So, here are two to start us off...

1) Pressing "Stop/Start" without foot on the brake. Doing this allows you to cycle through the different stages of ignition on your car, in the same way you used to be able when you had a key (which had multiple positions). This is especially useful if you have items powered by the cigarette lighters which don't usually come on until you start the engine. Hit the "start" button without your foot on a pedal and the electronics will power up, without starting the engine.

2) Holding "iDrive knob" in a direction for 1 second. Doing this allows you to jump straight to another menu without having to navigate back to the main screen. E.g., if you are in "entertainment" (down) and want to go to "Navigation", just hold the knob to the right for one second. When you've finished, pull it towards you for one seond, and you're back in entertainment. This one has saved me so much time...

... so, any more?

Great thread on neat tricks for bmw. Many, many thanks. I will add this to my library.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:31 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

It worked on mine. Thanks for the tip.

Quick Reply: "Neat tricks" thread!