E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigation retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 01:47 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: OLD RIDE- 2004 Titanium Silver Metallic 545I, Sports Package, 6 Speed Manual Transmission, Premium Sound, Cold Weather Package, Folding Rear Seats. NEW RIDE- 2005 Silver Gray Metallic 545I, Sports package, 6 Speed manual Transmission, Premium Sound, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Folding Rear Seats, Heated Rear Seats and Park Distance Control.

STOP!! and please do not refer me to FAQ (I know this topic has been covered there)!! This has become a tug of war between BMW NA, the dealers (Fairfax BMW and Sterling BMW) and me. I was scheduled for NAV retrofit (545I, built 1/2004) tomorrow at Fairfax BMW but got a call from the service rep, telling me that it can't be done since my car doesn't have the pre-wiring.
I called BMW NA and was told that it can't be done since I don't have the option "6UA". I called Sterling BMW and they tell me that it can be done if I have SAT Radio pre-wiring (which I do).
The service rep called me back, telling me that the only way to find out for sure is to look for a "plug" somewhere around the dash! Plug means; yes and NO Plug means; no.
I also understand that even if a car has the option "6UA" it would not be listed on the window sticker. So, can you see my frustration? I spent more than $60,000.00 on this car and can't get an answer worth a damn. E60 is a work in progress and we are the guinae pigs.
I will take my car in tomorrow but need all the help you guys can provide. Thanx.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:06 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by MALEKMAN' date='Nov 29 2004, 03:47 PM
STOP!! and please do not refer me to FAQ (I know this topic has been covered there)!! This has become a tug of war between BMW NA, the dealers (Fairfax BMW and Sterling BMW) and me. I was scheduled for NAV retrofit (545I, built 1/2004) tomorrow at Fairfax BMW but got a call from the service rep, telling me that it can't be done since my car doesn't have the pre-wiring.
I called BMW NA and was told that it can't be done since I don't have the option "6UA". I called Sterling BMW and they tell me that it can be done if I have SAT Radio pre-wiring (which I do).
The service rep called me back, telling me that the only way to find out for sure is to look for a "plug" somewhere around the dash! Plug means; yes and NO Plug means; no.
I also understand that even if a car has the option "6UA" it would not be listed on the window sticker. So, can you see my frustration? I spent more than $60,000.00 on this car and can't get an answer worth a damn. E60 is a work in progress and we are the guinae pigs.
I will take my car in tomorrow but need all the help you guys can provide. Thanx.
[snapback]62177[/snapback]

Did a Google and came up with the following interesting post. Read down to the post by "Ryan"...

http://forums.e60.net/lofiversion/index.php/t2124.html

Gives a service bulletin # . Sounds like cars came pre-wired from 10/03-12/03, and after that you had to have the code or get the nav. This guy says it was on his window sticker...

Good luck!
Old 11-29-2004, 02:16 PM
Members

My Ride: '08 550i, carbon black, sport package

It is my understanding that there were only a few months where cars from the factory came with what was called "Nav Prep" on the sticker. My dealer told me that they did not do the nav prep on any cars after 12/31/03. My car was a 11/03 build and came with "nav prep" on the sticker. I had the nav installed for the same $1800 cost. I believe that nav would have had to be ordered as an option on all cars built after 1/1/04.

I am not sure how the sat prep would factor into being able to retro-fit nav. There has been a conflict that would not allow you to have both.

Good luck.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:37 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 2004 530i Silver Gray/Black Interior Sports Package Premium Package Bi-Xenon Headlights

Originally Posted by camquest' date='Nov 29 2004, 04:16 PM
It is my understanding that there were only a few months where cars from the factory came with what was called "Nav Prep" on the sticker. My dealer told me? that they did not do the nav prep on any cars after 12/31/03. My car was a 11/03 build and came with "nav prep" on the sticker. I had the nav installed for the same $1800 cost. I believe that nav would have had to be ordered as an option on all cars built after 1/1/04.

I am not sure how the sat prep would factor into being able to retro-fit nav. There has been a conflict that would not allow you to have both.

Good luck.
[snapback]62185[/snapback]
My e60 was built 10/03, and I was told by my dealer (Crevier BMW) that my car CANNOT get Nav. because it was built prior to 11/03 and therefore did not have the Navigation preparation. As you can imagine, I was pissed! When I purchased the car I was told by the salesman that I could get nav added later "when it becomes available".

Somehow, the information is in conflict with what people are saying on this forum. Does anyone have a straight answer?
Old 11-29-2004, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, ocLuke !
Old 11-29-2004, 02:54 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

There was a bulletin posted here a week or so saying the NAV retrofit could be done for any E60. I can't seem to find it now but im sure someone will. It was a PDF so you can print it out and show the dealer.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:18 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 2004 530i Silver Gray/Black Interior Sports Package Premium Package Bi-Xenon Headlights

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Nov 29 2004, 04:45 PM
Welcome aboard, ocLuke !
[snapback]62201[/snapback]
Thanks Iceman!
Old 11-29-2004, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Found it:

Here it is!

That's the *.pdf from the other thread:
nav_retrofit_without_nav_prep.pdf
Old 11-29-2004, 04:12 PM
Senior Members

Iceman - U da man!

Would love to see the look on the SA's face when you show him this!

Gotta love the board.....

T-minus 13 days and counting....
Old 11-29-2004, 04:42 PM
Senior Members

So is it true this will only cost $1800 (US) INCLUDING labor?

Quick Reply: Navigation retrofit