E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Navigation Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Metallic gray '05 545i Sport Black Leather with HUD, Step, Nav, PDC, CWP, K&N Air Filter, Black RPI scoop, Black painted calipers, 35% F1 Pinnacle tint, 19" RDSport RS-2F rims with Continental ExtremeContact DWs.

At least once a day, my nav system acts up and I get the message "Please insert a navigation DVD". It acts like nothing is in the DVD player. Other times, it seems like it can't read the dvd properly and I haven't been able to zoom out or actually see a complete picture (some of the roads are missing). If I eject the dvd (sometimes that doesn't work either) and wait a few minutes to reinsert it, it works again. It seems to be more troublesome when the car is hot in the afternoon. Anyone else have a similiar problem or suggest a fix? Anyone know where I can get a replacement DVD player?
Old 09-09-2010, 10:36 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by top6491
At least once a day, my nav system acts up and I get the message "Please insert a navigation DVD". It acts like nothing is in the DVD player. Other times, it seems like it can't read the dvd properly and I haven't been able to zoom out or actually see a complete picture (some of the roads are missing). If I eject the dvd (sometimes that doesn't work either) and wait a few minutes to reinsert it, it works again. It seems to be more troublesome when the car is hot in the afternoon. Anyone else have a similiar problem or suggest a fix? Anyone know where I can get a replacement DVD player?
I had this problem under the factory warranty. It was replaced with a new DVD optical drive. I could dig up the part number if no one else chimes in.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by top6491
It may be a problem with the Nav DVD; I use a back-up copy of my original Nav DVD in my car and occasionally I get a read error. I recycle the DVD and all goes away.

FYI, the reason I use a back-up copy of my original DVD is that several years ago I had the Nav DVD stolen when I valet parked my 740i. Of course they denied it - and the thief probably thought it was music ...OR knew they were valuable and took it to hawk it on Ebay ?? Since that time I've copied mine and run it the copy. I'll be glad when I buy a BMW or whatever next car that has a hard-drive Nav.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

try a new DVD first (not the drive). if you're using a copy, that happens sometimes. if it's the original it's probably been out in the sun too long.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:24 PM
Senior Members

i had the same exact problem from a copy of a 2009 NAV cd. i got a copy of the 2010 NAV and haven't had a problem with that one or the 2007 i had in my car when i bought it since. i definitely think it's probably the dvd itself, like the other guys suggested.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

I had this problem and my DVD drive was replaced, apparently its a common problem, the drive just fails for no reason.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:06 AM
Members

My Ride: Metallic gray '05 545i Sport Black Leather with HUD, Step, Nav, PDC, CWP, K&N Air Filter, Black RPI scoop, Black painted calipers, 35% F1 Pinnacle tint, 19" RDSport RS-2F rims with Continental ExtremeContact DWs.

The DVD is one I bought through a vendor I found in the forums here. It worked fined for a while but then the problems started. Unfortunately the old nav dvd got scratched up in the glove box, but I'll give it a go. If all else fails, I'll report it as a problem (still under extended warranty) or buy the latest DVD.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:52 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

I am having a similar problem, with the additional "DVD read error" message. Each time I extract the DVD, it is hot, and I mean HOT. The problem has been more acute in the summer months and seems to not appear if I let the a/c really cool the car down before re-inserting the DVD.

A fellow member told me that there are cooling ducts/vents around the DVD unit that may need cleaning as they may have become clogged resulting in impaired cooling. Am just back from the dealers and they have told me that it could also be the cooling fan itself (either loose or not spinning up properly) or, as pointed out above, the DVD unit itself having failed. Car is booked in for about 2 weeks from now to be looked at, and I really hope the cooling issue is the answer, especially since I am well out of warranty. The fact that the entire system seems to work perfectly fine most of the time has me hopeful ...
Old 06-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Members

Problem was bad burned DVD I purchased here. Inserted dealer copy and it's been working for over a month with absolutely no problems.