E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Navigation can't keep up?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 11:12 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525d E60

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='502964' date='Dec 5 2007, 05:31 PM
Are these the sort of problems that you other guys are experiencing?

btw, I never had any of these issues with the 04, and my dealer tells me there's nothing wrong with the 08.
Yes, these are characteristics of an off-set of the nav. It uses several inputs to calculate its position: wheel turns, reverse yes/no, gyro, and GPS antenna data compared to the map. These are used with various weights and should (!) help to increase accuracy automatically over time.

For example: if you fit different size tyres, the wheel data becomes 'wrong' and it has to re-calibrate itself by using the other data. However, this can be a very long process (takes a lot of distance over known map territory with lots of turns to allow the nav to figure out where it is, so a reset may speed up the process. It uses a turn also to reposition itself to where it is but within limits to avoid over reaction to wrong map data vs reality (ie: new roads not on the map. first it tries to reposition to the nearest road and later accepts that there isn't one and puts you in the middle of a field. Depends on the software if this works well (the early systems were not very good at accepting that some roads exist while not on the map).

So, a reset puts all parameters back to nothing and it has to learn again. You do this by driving around in an area that is on the map (by making many turns it can position itself on the map accurately). Taking it for a very long straight trip on a highway will not help as it has no turns to use as reference points.

Known (from nav experience, not necessarily the E60 business system (which is based on the Becker 1-din solution)
reasons for being lost:
- loss of GPS reception for a long time (tunnel, though it should use the other inputs to realise where it is. With many turns (parking garage, underground road network) it may get lost a bit but should reposition easily as soon as reception is back. If you move the car without power, it will also get lost as last position is wrong. It may take a bit of time (seconds, minute) to accept the new GPS data)
- no map data for a long time. it looses track of it's position even though it knows the GPS position, it has nothing to refer to. Similar to wrong map (happened with the older multi-CD maps. With a multi-country DVD not much of an issue. Unless it's not in the drive for a longer time. It is not lost, it knows exactly where it is. Just not on a map.
- software f**k up. restarting is time consuming in the E60 (it stays on for some 10-15minutes after you leave the car)

The system will not report any fault even when it doesn't know where it is as all systems work.

forgot to check the reset sequence this morning, will try to remember though.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:41 AM
Members

checked it:

get into the 'secret' menu (push down knob 15+ sec when in the starting screen (probably after the disclaimer for US users) 3 x right, 3 x left, 1 x R, 1 x L, 1 x R, push down (and release) check this sequence in other posts as I write this from memory)

go to the navigation menu and there you'll find ' reset calibration data'

in the ' Becker' menu you can also reset CKM but I'm not sure what that is about.

elsewhere 'positionsvorgabe' (yes, in German in my car where the rest is in English) you can choose some locations but not sure what that is about or how these got in. Maybe the address book or recent items (I don't use the address book)

good luck and let us know if it helped!
Attached Thumbnails Navigation can't keep up?-image006.jpg   Navigation can't keep up?-image007.jpg  
Old 12-06-2007, 07:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545, nav, sport, PP, cold weather

iv had a 2005 545 with anv and currently a 650 w nav. ive had no problems and the driections have been spot on. i have drive both car with my garmin street pilot and all three units are spot on. i drive at the 2.5 for long trips and 1/2 for town then go to 400' on turns.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:43 AM
Members

sth went wrong with the pics. or actually it went right in the earlier message though I got an errormessage.....
Old 12-06-2007, 03:44 PM
Saf
Members

Hi Guys

See my previous post on the subject:

http://forums.e60.net/lofiversion/index.php/t45768.html

Saf
Old 01-18-2008, 05:23 PM
Members

Originally Posted by narvselius' post='501734' date='Dec 2 2007, 09:44 AM
Sorry to say, but Yes, I've noticed the same. It doesn't happen all the time, and only at certain places so maybe it has to do with how the nav parameters have been programmed? It's a real nuisance, though.

And I'm running on the latest software, so there's no remedy there...

Anyone with more detailed knowledge of the SatNav...?
Old 01-18-2008, 05:36 PM
Senior Members

What was the point of your post, just quoting someone else but not commenting?
Old 01-19-2008, 04:15 AM
Senior Members

It's more helpful to follow the arrows and listed route in the HUD, than waiting for the voice command.