E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Navigation can't keep up?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 03:41 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was on my way from NJ to flushing, NY and the Oem Navigation would not tell me of the upcoming fork in the highway until after I was on the ramp. More noticeable at highway speed. Anyone else notice this type of thing with theirs? I'm wondering if there is any software upgrade. Audi Nav is very good at telling you, "in 1/4 mi stay right at the fork", or "bear right onto rte 678", etc.
Thanks.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Sorry to say, but Yes, I've noticed the same. It doesn't happen all the time, and only at certain places so maybe it has to do with how the nav parameters have been programmed? It's a real nuisance, though.

And I'm running on the latest software, so there's no remedy there...

Anyone with more detailed knowledge of the SatNav...?
Old 12-02-2007, 05:21 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d E60

Depending on the car's history (different tyres, reset, driving without nav-dvd for a while etc) you may want to reset it. Or recalibrate as it's sometimes called. This makes the car find out where it is from scratch rather than with old parameters in memory.

not sure where it's done: was it in the hidden menu (press i-drive 15sec, 3xright, 3xleft, 1 right, 1left, 1 right, press) or in the normal menu or both?
Old 12-02-2007, 06:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by BMDiesel' post='501742' date='Dec 2 2007, 06:21 AM
Depending on the car's history (different tyres, reset, driving without nav-dvd for a while etc) you may want to reset it. Or recalibrate as it's sometimes called. This makes the car find out where it is from scratch rather than with old parameters in memory.

not sure where it's done: was it in the hidden menu (press i-drive 15sec, 3xright, 3xleft, 1 right, 1left, 1 right, press) or in the normal menu or both?

Hidden menu... Do tell more about it!!
Old 12-05-2007, 03:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d E60

check the forum (search)

when i-drive is in nothing mode (the base screen with the i in the middle and the four arrows)
press i-drive 15sec, 3xright, 3xleft, 1 right, 1left, 1 right, press

and then have a look around. Not much to do here but I seem to remember that there was a reset thing for the GPS.

will check later and let you know.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:31 AM
Senior Members

I'm on my second E60 with nav, and the 08's nav is really problematic compared to my 04's (which I had no problems with).

From the day I picked up the car in Munich, the system seems to be 50 - 100 feet off. I'm often sitting at a stop light where the nav system wants me to turn, and yet it tells me that the turn is 50 or 100 feet away. I've also had problems driving on a road with a very close-by parellel road, and the nav system thinks I'm on the parellel road.

Are these the sort of problems that you other guys are experiencing?

btw, I never had any of these issues with the 04, and my dealer tells me there's nothing wrong with the 08.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='502964' date='Dec 5 2007, 10:31 AM
I'm on my second E60 with nav, and the 08's nav is really problematic compared to my 04's (which I had no problems with).

From the day I picked up the car in Munich, the system seems to be 50 - 100 feet off. I'm often sitting at a stop light where the nav system wants me to turn, and yet it tells me that the turn is 50 or 100 feet away. I've also had problems driving on a road with a very close-by parellel road, and the nav system thinks I'm on the parellel road.

btw, I never had any of these issues with the 04, and my dealer tells me there's nothing wrong with the 08.
New to the Nav in my '08 and haven't played with it too much as most of my driving is to and from work, a whopping 4 miles round trip! Having said that, in watching the assistance window as I drive around, mine seems pretty accurate, certainly not the 50-100 foot error you seem to have. When I am driving through an intersection, the Nav show me going through the correct intersection with no real perceptable lag or error...
Old 12-05-2007, 08:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='502964' date='Dec 5 2007, 11:31 AM

Sounds like you are having a similar issue as I did; I was already ON the entrance ramp to another highway at an interchange when the Nav said, "bear right in 1/4 mi". Its the voice command it gives, maybe I'll try that reset thing.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:09 AM
Senior Members

I have found the 550i's satnav to give sufficient warning (did you know this varies by country due to various parameters).

The Audi A8 L I had was pretty good also but no better or worse.

The Infinitis I drove were iffy and the Onstar downloadable directions in the CTS didn't always give enough notice or incessantly repeated themselves.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

my nav has probably not been able to keep up on maybe 1 or 2 occasions during the past 2.5 years. chauk it up to a glitch. mine is fine for the most part. hopefully this isn't the norm for you.

Quick Reply: Navigation can't keep up?