E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NAV/SAT temporary incompatibility (US)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 02:44 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received these 2 bulletins from my dealer in March04 when I ordered my car. My car was built in May04. I had originally ordered the car with NAV and SAT/Sirius, but was told that I could eventually get SAT, and it was merely going to be a software update and that is going to be available in autumn 04.

This was not in words alone, it was in writing.

Attached are the 2 files that explain the temporary incompaibility. I placed this here for all including nickferr and others to see some factual data direct from BMWNA.
Attached Thumbnails NAV/SAT temporary incompatibility (US)-bmwna_navsat1.jpg   NAV/SAT temporary incompatibility (US)-bmwna_navsat2.jpg  
Old 12-08-2004, 03:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i - Titanium Grey/Grey/SMG/Nav/sports pack/premium pack/sirius prep

Thanks gdavis.

This is another example of how my dealer should have been better informed and passed that info on to me.

Nick
Old 12-08-2004, 03:59 AM
Senior Members

nickferr, even if the dealer was better informed, the retrofit should still be available according to BMW as they state in these bulletins. so you and I both should still be able to get SAT with NAV!
Old 12-08-2004, 04:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

Originally Posted by gdavis' date='Dec 8 2004, 07:59 AM
nickferr, even if the dealer was better informed, the retrofit should still be available according to BMW as they state in these bulletins. so you and I both should still be able to get SAT with NAV!
[snapback]66484[/snapback]
Based on BMW's ability to get BlueTooth working in MY04 vehicles, I have no doubt as to their ability or desire to get the Sirius vs NAV conflict resolved also. Anyone in the Software industry knows that a prediction as to deadline is always exactly that, a prediction. It's possible that they devoted more resources than originally planned to resolve the BlueTooth issue in response to customer complaints. Now that the BT thing is taken care of, they can get back to conquering the Sirius v. NAV conflict, and hopefully put in MP3 decoding software to allow us to play MP3's with at least our dash-mounted cd-player, if not the trunk-changer as well.

Someone on the bimmerfest board claims that his 3er with "CD-professional" will play MP3 cd's, so that's an encouraging sign that BMW is getting on board.

Let's all not forget that as recently as my ex-MY01 330i with NAV, I had a cassette player in the dash and had to install the trunk-mounted CD changer to get CD support. BMW is definitely (and has almost always been) on the trailing edge of integrating "fancy" consumer electronics in their vehicles.

Just a little perspective...
-MrB
Old 12-08-2004, 07:51 AM
Senior Members

mrB, thanks for those points. I hope you are right on the sirius stuff. I'd really like to add that in to my ride as well.

I spoke with my dealer today, and he FINALLY said that they would try the BT install since he spoke with pharding's service guys and confirmed that it DOES work.

I have the BT install set for wednesday next week.