E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nav Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 06:14 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all:

I just got my first e60 the other day, a 06 530i. Uprgraded from the e39 and I have a question concerning the nav. I have looked in the manual and either I am missing something or its not there. When I am in the nav mode every once in a great while I get this arrow and street name that pops up when I get close to a turn. How do I get this to pop up when I get close to every turn? It just seem so random. Thanks

Cactus52
Old 09-16-2011, 08:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by Cactus52
Hey all:

I just got my first e60 the other day, a 06 530i. Uprgraded from the e39 and I have a question concerning the nav. I have looked in the manual and either I am missing something or its not there. When I am in the nav mode every once in a great while I get this arrow and street name that pops up when I get close to a turn. How do I get this to pop up when I get close to every turn? It just seem so random. Thanks

Cactus52
I'm thinking this can be done in the split screen mode. I have the small section of the screen set to car position and this should show the arrow and count down to a directional turn. Select the screen by shifing your controller to the right and then push down to select it. There are several options in there to be viewed. If your street and map is in a undocumented route, then you won't receive the instructions. I upgraded mine and now there are lot more roads in the system that I need.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:40 AM
Members

Thanks. I've been playing with it all morning and I found that if I select route info it pops up and stays with the map in the small window. Is there a way to not have the split screen? And on the subject of Maps, I have the western US 2008 disk, and I live in Phoenix, but the disk is missing part of the freeway system and it has my neighborhood but no street names. If I up the disk to a newer one how can I tell if it is on those and is it worth the money? Thanks Again

Cactus52
Old 09-16-2011, 12:17 PM
Senior Members

don't think you can get rid off the split screen. Why not just use the larger screen as the nav map and smaller screen as something else such as trip info. It will show you the turning arrow in the smaller screen. As for the disk itself, sounds like you need an updated version map. Search pirate bay for the newest version and download it. Burn it with Imageburn at slowest speed and if you're lucky, your Idrive will be able to read it. Saves you a few bucks if you can get it to work.

GL
Old 09-16-2011, 02:54 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 550i M Sport
Model Year: 2010
Engine: 4.8L V8

Hey all:

Cactus52
I'm also in Phoenix, welcome to the forums Cactus52. When you are in Nav mode with map on both screens move the Idrive controller to the right and then select the smaller screen (click down on the Idrive controller). A menu should pop up, then select Arrow display. This should work anytime as long as you have a route mapped in your Nav system, and it is navigating you to an address.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:55 PM
Members

Thanks. That worked great. Now I gotta get a new disk

Cactus52
Old 09-18-2011, 05:01 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i

Thanks. I've been playing with it all morning and I found that if I select route info it pops up and stays with the map in the small window. Is there a way to not have the split screen? And on the subject of Maps, I have the western US 2008 disk, and I live in Phoenix, but the disk is missing part of the freeway system and it has my neighborhood but no street names. If I up the disk to a newer one how can I tell if it is on those and is it worth the money? Thanks Again

Cactus52
Is your neighborhood fairly new constructed?
Old 09-18-2011, 09:40 PM
Members

Originally Posted by vegasr
Is your neighborhood fairly new constructed?

It is Johnson Ranch. I got the updated disk and my street names appeared. Now I just gotta find out if I can update the system software without blowing modules.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:33 PM
Sas
Contributors

My Ride: 520i ('04)

It is Johnson Ranch. I got the updated disk and my street names appeared. Now I just gotta find out if I can update the system software without blowing modules.

There is always a risk when modules are updated, even done at the BMWshop the stealer will tel you that.