E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 10:01 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just wondering how the auto lights work for others.
On my E60 if I turn on auto lights it always, and I mean always turns on the low beams (never just the angel rings). Shouldn't it change depending on the light outside? Or is that normal?
Lights are pre-LCI halogen reflectors.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do your dash lights come on as well, on mine, the headlights as well as dash lights turn on based on ambient light. I leave it off though because they turn on instantly when I pull in the garage.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

sounds like yours is configured for daytime running lights operation, thus always on. It may be re-configurable in the iDrive, or by the dealer (programming)...
Old 09-06-2011, 12:30 PM
Senior Members

Yup. I just checked iDrive and DRL were turned on.
I have turned them off now and the low beams still on (from auto) but can be due to the fact it is getting darker.
Will check again tomorrow.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 520d - 19" 172s- Remapped - LCI taillights V6 cables - LCI xenon headlights - Denison 500 with BTA1500 - led interior lights - OEM led number plate lights Planned mods: Folding mirrors - Modmynav kit - High gloss shadowline trim -

If you have turned DRL off no lights will come on when it is daytime. You need to get angel eyes to come on as DRL.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:39 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 528i Lexus LS460 Lexus GX470 Lexus RX300 Silversport

Are you sure that your main headlights are on or maybe the center bulbs are turning on? If you dont have an lci with xenon, your DRLs should be the inner bulbs.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

I am just going to end this thread by giving the right answer. I saw this thread earlier but was just lazy.

Your headlight sensor is probably set to sensitive. And given the typical weather/sky in Ireland, I am not surprised why it would have your headlights on all the time.

This has nothing to do with the DRL since you said it's your low beams. You have pre-LCI, AE's are not set as DRL.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 520d - 19" 172s- Remapped - LCI taillights V6 cables - LCI xenon headlights - Denison 500 with BTA1500 - led interior lights - OEM led number plate lights Planned mods: Folding mirrors - Modmynav kit - High gloss shadowline trim -

The low beam is the DRL for pre-LCI (certainly halogen cars).

As said earlier, if you switch DRL off no lights will be on during the day. If you have DRL on, your low beams will be on during the day.

Nothing to do with sensor being sensitive or anything else.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by jas_r_1
The low beam is the DRL for pre-LCI (certainly halogen cars).

As said earlier, if you switch DRL off no lights will be on during the day. If you have DRL on, your low beams will be on during the day.

Nothing to do with sensor being sensitive or anything else.
WRONG. The default DRL for pre-LCI halogen, xenon, AND LCI halogen E60's are reflector high beams at reduced power.

Jas you did not read his first post carefully. Even if for some freak reason it is his DRL, his auto headlight would not indicate (green light) that it's on. If his low beam is on during the day, it certainly means his sensor is set to sensitive. This can be adjusted in the RLS module.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:38 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
WRONG. The default DRL for pre-LCI halogen, xenon, AND LCI halogen E60's are reflector high beams at reduced power.

Jas you did not read his first post carefully. Even if for some freak reason it is his DRL, his auto headlight would not indicate (green light) that it's on. If his low beam is on during the day, it certainly means his sensor is set to sensitive. This can be adjusted in the RLS module.
Maybe in the US but over the pond the low beams are the DRL - I know because it is exactly the same for my pre-LCI halogen equipped car. Additionally, when I put pre-LCI xenon's on my car, the xenon (low beam) would act as the DRL. If I unticked DRL in the i-drive then no lights would be on. I all the lights have put on my car, never has the high beams acted as DRL until I got my LCI E61.

I believe BLood has posted where he has coded angel eyes as DRL instead of low beams.

Quick Reply: Auto lights