E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

N52 engine with ticking? Read here

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 02:45 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No this would be documented. Their is a part number for the new revised head but you would be unable to see it in the car. The gasket is indeed changed and this would definetly be documented. If anything they would want to tell you to reassure you that the car is updated with the newest head and this problem wont happen to you
Old 05-12-2009, 07:20 PM
DTD
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550i 2009 Mod. with tints all around. Got Splitter and Spoiler coming. May do an exhaust.

Have not heard a whole lot about the N52 Motor going bad?
You would think there are more than a few here mentioned out of thousands sold? Is it fair to say that there are 10s of thousands of these motors soldsold? And this here; it appears there are only just a glimpse of the N52 needing repairs? Seems like there would be more info documented. Need to get some more answers. I wrote my dealer and asked my salesman, but no other info as of yet? I have an 05 built sold in 2006 model year 530 xi and have never heard of any ticking. Sometimes in the morning when I start her up the motor seems to wrestle back and forth side to side a bit, but as of yet no tapping / ticking of valves / lifters? I have 45,000 mile on her. Think I could get a PSI Oil check on her? Thanks for the continued support.
By the way; what is the difference between the N52 and the N52k motor?

Dan
Old 05-13-2009, 04:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

What engine is on the 2004 545i? I have a ticking noise when engine is cold but once it warms up no ticking. Is this normal for the V8's?

Originally Posted by DTD' post='876813' date='May 12 2009, 11:20 PM
You would think there are more than a few here mentioned out of thousands sold? Is it fair to say that there are 10s of thousands of these motors soldsold? And this here; it appears there are only just a glimpse of the N52 needing repairs? Seems like there would be more info documented. Need to get some more answers. I wrote my dealer and asked my salesman, but no other info as of yet? I have an 05 built sold in 2006 model year 530 xi and have never heard of any ticking. Sometimes in the morning when I start her up the motor seems to wrestle back and forth side to side a bit, but as of yet no tapping / ticking of valves / lifters? I have 45,000 mile on her. Think I could get a PSI Oil check on her? Thanks for the continued support.

Dan
Old 05-13-2009, 04:21 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Moopai' post='877069' date='May 13 2009, 01:15 PM
What engine is on the 2004 545i? I have a ticking noise when engine is cold but once it warms up no ticking. Is this normal for the V8's?
I get that too - sounds a bit like a boat until it gets warm.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:37 AM
DTD
Senior Members

My Ride: 550i 2009 Mod. with tints all around. Got Splitter and Spoiler coming. May do an exhaust.

You would think there are more than a few here mentioned out of thousands sold? Is it fair to say that there are 10s of thousands of these motors sold? And this here; it appears there are only just a glimpse of the N52 needing repairs? Seems like there would be more info documented. Need to get some more answers. I wrote my dealer and asked my salesman, but no other info as of yet? I have an 05 built sold in 2006 model year 530 xi and have never heard of any ticking. Sometimes in the morning when I start her up the motor seems to wrestle back and forth side to side a bit, but as of yet no tapping / ticking of valves / lifters? I have 45,000 mile on her. Think I could get a PSI Oil check on her? Thanks for the continued support.

Originally Posted by DTD' post='876813' date='May 12 2009, 11:20 PM

Dan
Old 05-14-2009, 04:52 AM
Banned

The thing is there ARE a ton of these things happening and even more people do not realize what it is nor know to actually complain about it. Read the 3 series forums and there are hundreds of people with this. On the street I often hear loud ticking from n53 engine cars and the service dept said they see about 10 of these compliants per week. This is big and you just do not hear about it much if you are not reading the internet or konwing what the noise is. I heard it but had no clue what it was uyntil I found the internet and some sites with it.

Originally Posted by DTD' post='877248' date='May 13 2009, 12:37 PM
You would think there are more than a few here mentioned out of thousands sold? Is it fair to say that there are 10s of thousands of these motors sold? And this here; it appears there are only just a glimpse of the N52 needing repairs? Seems like there would be more info documented. Need to get some more answers. I wrote my dealer and asked my salesman, but no other info as of yet? I have an 05 built sold in 2006 model year 530 xi and have never heard of any ticking. Sometimes in the morning when I start her up the motor seems to wrestle back and forth side to side a bit, but as of yet no tapping / ticking of valves / lifters? I have 45,000 mile on her. Think I could get a PSI Oil check on her? Thanks for the continued support.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:51 PM
DTD
Senior Members

Are you sure you guys are not running premium Fuel?
Old 05-15-2009, 05:54 AM
Banned

Fuel has nothing to do with it. It is oil not reaching lifters, nothing to do with fuel issues.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:13 AM
DTD
Senior Members

What happened with everyones 530 '06 and '07 Ticking from Lifters? Did BMW Repair them? Keeping track of this debockle. DTD
Old 06-01-2009, 06:41 AM
Members

My Ride: my ride which i just bought is 2005 530i with all the fruit cept no tv or dvd GRR haha :)

Originally Posted by DTD' post='883259' date='May 20 2009, 03:13 AM
What happened with everyones 530 '06 and '07 Ticking from Lifters? Did BMW Repair them? Keeping track of this debockle. DTD

ive got a 05 dec built 530i ive got that same ticking noise..i took it to a private bmw repair shop..he said it was lifters and he changed all of them..it was ok during summer no noise for a few months..i just drove it tonite and guess what the noise has come again and its fuckn loudddddddd cuase its cold tonite...i dont know wot to do now...and now im hearing its the head..ive payed $2000 for lifters all for nothing now do u guys know how much to change heads ?

Quick Reply: N52 engine with ticking? Read here