E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

N52 engine with ticking? Read here

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 04:21 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi - Titanium Silver Metallic / Gray Dakota Leather / Dark Poplar Wood Trim / Cold Weather Package / Premium Package / Premium Sound Package / Lumbar Support / Xenon Adaptive Light Control / 6 speed auto - Steptronic Trans. /Sirius Satellite Radio / Voice Activation / Navigation / Moonroof

My 530xi experienced the ticking earlier this year. I posted a comment about it on the forums and was directed to some previous postings on the subject.

My engine's ticking problem only manifested itself at temperatures below 20 F. Once she was warmed up (typically after having driven the kids to school) the ticking disappeared. I spoke to my SA and we scheduled the "mandatory" valve bleed. He explained that if the ticking did not dissipate that the afore-mentioned valve-head replacement would be required. At the time, the valve-heads were on back-order (early March) and he had at least 5 customers awaiting the valve-head replacement.

I've experienced the ticking just once since the bleed. Consequently, I need to make an appointment to take the next step.

It's odd that the SA in Canada was unaware of the situation. I am told it is a very well known problem.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:19 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went for the first extended drive since the replacement and it has been a few hundred miles. Things are starting to loosen up and wear in properly. I can tell you this engine pulls WAY harder then before. I would be really curiosu to dyno this v. a stock n52. Obviously I am not talking like 50p but I would not be at all surprised to see a 15-20hp increase. Considering the head is obviously a crucial piece ot the engine, I do not think this is unreasonable nor would bmw relaese this information since everyone with an n52 would want a extra 20 hp!
Old 05-11-2009, 01:22 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550I M Sport, Premium pkg, Logic 7, Sport Automatic Trans, Paddle Shifters, Nav, Comfort Access, Rear Shades, Satellite, PDC

The bleed procedure cannot be good for your engine. If the lifter is sticking it is either because there is not enough oil flow or because it is slapping due to the clearance between the valve and the lifter being out of spec. It could also be that the hydraulic lifter went bad.

The worst thing to do when there is an engine problem is to free-rev. If the lifter is sticking, it will cause excessive wear with metal-on-metal. If the clearance is too large, there is a stronger hit(slap) on the valve to open and could damage the valve. If the lifter is blown/cracked, pieces will become loose in the engine.

The procedure can only be written to make the customer feel better not improve the car. The only reason, I can think of, that this procedure could do to stop the ticking is if the lifter wears enough metal off so there will be increased space for it not to stick to the cylinder wall. Obviously, this would be a bad solution.

BMW should address this with some(much cheaper) fix in the interim as it could become expensive in the long term for them.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 525I

I just got my car fixed from the dealer about 2 months ago on this issue. The dealership was a pian in the ass. I took my car in 5 times before they would fix it. the service advisor would tell me that this is no big issue it is normal, i told him if it isnt a big issue fix it, normal bs. thankfully about the 6th time i got it fixed it took the dealer 1month and 2 days to fix it but so far no ticking noise. I really want to see if it makes the noise when it is cold, so I can see if the dealer even fixed it. but i will have to wait till winter time . if your car is under warranty i suggets you get it fixed if any one has this noise problem . the ticking is horrible. good luck to all on this issue.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:51 PM
Senior Members

Is their such a thingsuch as a SIB for just Canada? I found the SIB for North America concerning the ticking noise and was thinking it would be seperate from Canada?
Old 05-11-2009, 02:52 PM
Senior Members

SUBJECT
Intermittent Hydraulic Valve Adjuster (HVA) "Ticking" or "Rattling" Noises
MODEL
All E83, E85, E86, E60, E61, E70, E90, E91, E92, and E93 with the N52 or N52K engines
SITUATION
An occasional ticking or rattling noise from the HVA elements may occur during cold engine starts or
frequent short distance driving.
CAUSE
In these situations the HVA elements may have not yet been supplied with sufficient amount of air-free
oil. This condition will not cause any damage to the engine and usually remedies itself with a longer
driving distance or operating times at full operating temperature.
CORRECTION
In the event of a customer complaint please perform the following the HVA bleeding procedure.
PROCEDURE
Important notes:
The bleed time may take anywhere between two minutes and (in rare cases) a maximum of 30 minutes.
This procedure is to be performed on a level surface with the vehicle stationary, and in a properly
ventilated area.
Procedure preconditions:
Engine oil level correct ? neither under filled nor overfilled
Engine running at operating temperature
1. Bring the engine up to an operating speed (no load) of 2000 ? 3000 rpm and maintain this condition
for three minutes (bleeding procedure).
2. Let the engine idle for 15 ? 30 seconds and reevaluate if the noise is still present or not.
3. Engine quiet ? Procedure is finished.
4. Engine noise is still present ? Repeat procedure ? Steps #1 and #2 up to a maximum of 5 times.
5. Only if the noise remains after performing the bleeding procedure 5 times ? proceed by performing
the procedure for a final time, also at an engine operating speed of 2000 ? 3000 rpm, but for a total time
duration of 15 minutes.
WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
SI B 11 09 07
Engine
July 2007
Technical Service
Page 1 of 3
http://www.bmwtis.net/tiscode/cgi-bin/omcg...tm_store/9397... 12/26/2007
Note: The following explanations will spell out the correct use of the work times.
Defect Code
11 12 94 39 00
Labor Operation 00 57
087 Perform bleeding up to three times
Main Work
Labor Allowance 5 FRU
Labor Operation 00 57
088 Perform bleeding 5 complete times
Main Work
Labor Allowance 7 FRU
Labor Operation 00 57
Perform bleeding 5 complete times plus additional 15 minute
bleed run
Main Work
Labor Allowance 11 FRU
Labor Operation 00 57
717 Perform bleeding up to three times
+ Associated
Work
Labor Allowance 3 FRU
Labor Operation 00 57
718 Perform bleeding 5 complete times
+ Associated
Work
Labor Allowance 5 FRU
Labor Operation 00 57
bleed run
+ Associated
Work
Labor Allowance 9 FRU
Main Work: Use this labor operation number when the only repair performed is the
listed warranty repair.
OR
Page 2 of 3
+Associated
Work:
Use this labor operation number when other repairs or services are
performed along with the listed warranty repair.
Under no circumstances should both labor operation numbers be claimed.
Attempts to claim both times will result in an unnecessary delay in claim
processing and payment.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:35 PM
DTD
Senior Members

My Ride: 550i 2009 Mod. with tints all around. Got Splitter and Spoiler coming. May do an exhaust.

Originally Posted by NextLevel530xi' post='875402' date='May 11 2009, 06:52 PM
SUBJECT
Intermittent Hydraulic Valve Adjuster (HVA) "Ticking" or "Rattling" Noises
MODEL
All E83, E85, E86, E60, E61, E70, E90, E91, E92, and E93 with the N52 or N52K engines
SITUATION
An occasional ticking or rattling noise from the HVA elements may occur during cold engine starts or
frequent short distance driving.
CAUSE
In these situations the HVA elements may have not yet been supplied with sufficient amount of air-free
oil. This condition will not cause any damage to the engine and usually remedies itself with a longer
driving distance or operating times at full operating temperature.
CORRECTION
In the event of a customer complaint please perform the following the HVA bleeding procedure.
PROCEDURE
Important notes:
The bleed time may take anywhere between two minutes and (in rare cases) a maximum of 30 minutes.
This procedure is to be performed on a level surface with the vehicle stationary, and in a properly
ventilated area.
Procedure preconditions:
Engine oil level correct ? neither under filled nor overfilled
Engine running at operating temperature
1. Bring the engine up to an operating speed (no load) of 2000 ? 3000 rpm and maintain this condition
for three minutes (bleeding procedure).
2. Let the engine idle for 15 ? 30 seconds and reevaluate if the noise is still present or not.
3. Engine quiet ? Procedure is finished.
4. Engine noise is still present ? Repeat procedure ? Steps #1 and #2 up to a maximum of 5 times.
5. Only if the noise remains after performing the bleeding procedure 5 times ? proceed by performing
the procedure for a final time, also at an engine operating speed of 2000 ? 3000 rpm, but for a total time
duration of 15 minutes.
WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
SI B 11 09 07
Engine
July 2007
Technical Service
Page 1 of 3
Note: The following explanations will spell out the correct use of the work times.
Defect Code
11 12 94 39 00
Labor Operation 00 57
087 Perform bleeding up to three times
Main Work
Labor Allowance 5 FRU
Labor Operation 00 57
088 Perform bleeding 5 complete times
Main Work
Labor Allowance 7 FRU
Labor Operation 00 57
bleed run
Main Work
Labor Allowance 11 FRU
Labor Operation 00 57
717 Perform bleeding up to three times
+ Associated
Work
Labor Allowance 3 FRU
Labor Operation 00 57
718 Perform bleeding 5 complete times
+ Associated
Work
Labor Allowance 5 FRU
Labor Operation 00 57
bleed run
+ Associated
Work
Labor Allowance 9 FRU
Main Work: Use this labor operation number when the only repair performed is the
listed warranty repair.
OR
Page 2 of 3
+Associated
Work:
Use this labor operation number when other repairs or services are
performed along with the listed warranty repair.
Under no circumstances should both labor operation numbers be claimed.
Attempts to claim both times will result in an unnecessary delay in claim
processing and payment.

Is this saying it is just for the 2007 motors? DTD Or does it infact occur with the 2006 motors?
Old 05-12-2009, 04:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BIMMERTIME-07' post='875349' date='May 11 2009, 05:43 PM
I just got my car fixed from the dealer about 2 months ago on this issue. The dealership was a pian in the ass. I took my car in 5 times before they would fix it. the service advisor would tell me that this is no big issue it is normal, i told him if it isnt a big issue fix it, normal bs. thankfully about the 6th time i got it fixed it took the dealer 1month and 2 days to fix it but so far no ticking noise. I really want to see if it makes the noise when it is cold, so I can see if the dealer even fixed it. but i will have to wait till winter time . if your car is under warranty i suggets you get it fixed if any one has this noise problem . the ticking is horrible. good luck to all on this issue.
Did you get the cylinder head? If not then you did not get it fixed. I would demand you get the new head.

And yes it is for all n52 engines from 06 until 08.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Diamond' post='875992' date='May 12 2009, 08:26 AM
Did you get the cylinder head? If not then you did not get it fixed. I would demand you get the new head.

And yes it is for all n52 engines from 06 until 08.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:05 AM
Members

Diamond, would there be any indication that head was changed? serial #, color, new gasket color? I have repair sheets from day one but it doesn't show work that was done by dealer to cpo vehicle, new battary, radiator, ect. I know this work was done and was wondering if this change out would not for some reason be documented.
Thanks

Quick Reply: N52 engine with ticking? Read here