E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

N52 engine with ticking? Read here

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by psam550' post='874251' date='May 10 2009, 12:52 PM
Anyboby see this on the N62TU (550 V-8)?
A head for a V8 is a totally different animal from an inline 6 head, so the short answer is no as the two engines are not related at all.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:49 PM
Senior Members

My engine ticks badly when it?s cold outside and the engine is cold. I brought it in once to have the dealer check the motor and of course it was 70 degrees that day so said they couldn't hear anything. I store my car in the winter but in the fall it definitely ticks badly and I'm almost out of my new car warranty, I have 48k miles. Is there a BMW bulletin or something I can put in front of the service people to get my engine fixed?

The car runs fine, has lots of power but does tick badly when cold. I have the CPO warranty so if the motor craps out I figure I'm covered but the ticking is annoying.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Members

Originally Posted by mhs525' post='874451' date='May 10 2009, 07:49 PM
My engine ticks badly when it?s cold outside and the engine is cold. I brought it in once to have the dealer check the motor and of course it was 70 degrees that day so said they couldn't hear anything. I store my car in the winter but in the fall it definitely ticks badly and I'm almost out of my new car warranty, I have 48k miles. Is there a BMW bulletin or something I can put in front of the service people to get my engine fixed?

The car runs fine, has lots of power but does tick badly when cold. I have the CPO warranty so if the motor craps out I figure I'm covered but the ticking is annoying.
Hey, as I discussed with you, I had the same problem and i took it to the dealer. They have had it for three weeks. They said they have fixed my ticking but the active steering light came on and hey had to fix that. I should be getting it back this week and I'll tell you what they did to it. My CA has not been communicating well with me, so he did not even tell me what "fix" they were doing to it.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: '06 550i Sport Package

Originally Posted by kapusta' post='874443' date='May 10 2009, 04:37 PM
A head for a V8 is a totally different animal from an inline 6 head, so the short answer is no as the two engines are not related at all.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DTD' post='874245' date='May 10 2009, 09:45 AM
What percentage of the 06 and 07 N52 motors is this happening to? I have 46,000 on an 06 N52 and believe to not have any ticking.
You Bimmer enthusiasts have stated 30,000 to 40,000 miles; is / does this happen later on down the road? Thanks for the UPDATE Gents. Dan
Ohhh PS: How is the TRANNY holding up? Or for that matter the xi setup since it is the 1st year? Any issues to be concerned with? Thanks again Gents.

2006 530 xi
Dan
I have tried this in every which way, cold, hot, morning, afternoon, but could NOT hear any ticking at all. I have a 06 530i (N52). So I'm not sure if it applies to every N52.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:48 PM
Senior Members

Just wanted to let you guys know that I went to my dealership after reading about people on this forum getting the ticking noise fixed under warranty. I have brought this problem to the attention of my SA before. Well, I went in with a no bullshit attitude and came out empty. SA told me he has never heard of this being a known problem and that I am the first. I was told their was nothing he could do, and not to worry. I plan on keeping this car and dont want to ruin my engine. I already got 116,000km on the car. Anyone have any advice or a stratagey on how ic an prove to them BMW is dcovering this under warranty. I got nothing!
Old 05-10-2009, 09:02 PM
DTD
Senior Members

My Ride: 550i 2009 Mod. with tints all around. Got Splitter and Spoiler coming. May do an exhaust.

Originally Posted by jagbagri' post='874649' date='May 11 2009, 12:10 AM
I have tried this in every which way, cold, hot, morning, afternoon, but could NOT hear any ticking at all. I have a 06 530i (N52). So I'm not sure if it applies to every N52.
Any way in telling if its 1 out of 10 or can we say "Its a rare situation"
Old 05-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Senior Members

I wish their was a formal letter from BMW demanding to service and take notice to this potential problems.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Senior Members

I wish their was a formal letter from BMW demanding to service and take notice to this potential problems.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:59 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is NOT a rare occurence people. I have had two loaners with the same ticking and if you guys will read the link I put on the first page from e90post.com there is a link somewhere in that 40 some pages to the bmw service bulletin so you can print that out and take it in to your dealer. It gives specific instructions about the bleeding procedure that is to be done two times. If that does not resolve it after two procedures then your dealer has to put a PUMA case in to bmw for approval of the new head. As long as your engines still ticks after their two bullshit attempts to "bleeed" the lifters. Which as I noted is complete garbage. Of course lifters wills tay quiet for a little while if you fill them with oil-and by revving hard that is what you do!

Anyway the other option is to call bmw north america or wherever your located andn talk to them to get further assistance. I assume they are doing this for the entire world and not just NA.

e90post has 100s of people with this problem and this is a design flaw so not a rare occurence. The design of the cylinder head of the n52 has two flaws.

1.No check valve which means it lets the oil drain out of the lifters when the car is shut off. The updated head has a check valve which prevents oil from draining out of the lifters after shut of therefore when you start the car and drive again the lifters are fully lubricated instead of taking awhile to fill with oil and have no lubrication and hence damage each time you cold start.

2.Second there is a flaw in the oil distribution through the head and oil is not adequatly getting to lifters, and hence rockers, valvles etc. The tickin depends on your climate, type of oil and driving style.

Warmer the climate, more oil flows and more easily fillts the lifters so the ticking disapears

the harder you drive, the more oil is pumped, especially since the use-variable oil pump is one reason this is happening. Under lower rpms, the oil put out is not enough to overcome the poor route to the lifters so driving hard gets rid of this. However driving that hard is not a possiblity every time you drive!

So there will be a variance on who notices this and when you notice it. I first noticed it at 30k miles but many have noticed it right when they bought their car. I do not know exactly why some do it sooner but seems like virtually all engines will end up doing it at some point. Especially a lot earlier than any other engines.

TO address others. Ticking on the n54 and any engine for that matter is normal and fine when cold as long as it disapears when up to warm. Or in winter especially at cold start there is ticking since it takes a few minutes for the lifters to get oiled. However in these n52 engines, the ticking would often worsen when the car warmed up and it did not subside. Oil was not getting in there even after the car was warm.

The "recall" or what you want to call it is for specifically the n52 and they designed an entire new cylinder head so its pretty specific.

If I owned this car you better get this done or you are gambling with your engine and a 8k dollar piece of the engine. This is what it costs to do this job billed to warranty. You also lose performance over time with these parts being damaged. On the e90post site someone posted a pictures of their camshaft and lifters after they were removed for ticking and he outlines and points out the damage done.

BMW banks on most people not realizing or hearing the ticking and those who do hear it and bring it up, they either tell them its normal or do this "bleed" and 90 percent of customers do not know better and take their word for it. That is the only reason there is no recall because at 8k a pop there is no way they could funa recall.

Quick Reply: N52 engine with ticking? Read here