E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My lifters are being replaced

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 01:27 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what do you guys do to get them get it changed? <--- i assume they do it free for u right?

do you just ring up n tell them to change it? does it affect 520 models? because i can definitely hear ticking! i just thought this is how it should be when having a cold start? lol.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:35 PM
Contributors

For those of you who have a 545i (4.4L v8) N62 engine, try using SIB 11 02 05. This was what was used in reference for the repairs on my car. Note that the coverage is only under "new car warranty" so your results may vary depending on your stealership.

GL.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SIB Rough Idle.pdf (22.5 KB, 210 views)
Old 02-11-2010, 02:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Had just the lifters replaced in mine and it sounds really quiet now... Funny, had the same thing happen to my X5 last week and it had the same problem....

I knew it right away after I heard it -- interesting...

=S=
Old 02-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6MT

Originally Posted by subarashi
Had just the lifters replaced in mine and it sounds really quiet now... Funny, had the same thing happen to my X5 last week and it had the same problem....

I knew it right away after I heard it -- interesting...

=S=
What was this sound you heard? Loud ticking all the time? There was a video of some ticking on here, did it resemble that or something different?
Old 02-12-2010, 03:24 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Mine was a constant ticking or tapping. It was present whether the engine was cold or hot. It wasn't very lod but it was definitely not normal. I simply asked if the noise could be related to the SIB and they confirmed that it was. I only paid $50 for the CPO.

I am also happy to report that after one week, I am seeing a gain of 2 MPG since replacing the spark plugs. I'll wait another 3 weeks before proclaiming victory. A gain of 2 MPG would be significant since it would be a 10% gain over the 20.2 MPG I used to get. Presently I'm getting 22.4 MPG. Fingers crossed.....
Old 02-22-2010, 12:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi - Titanium Silver Metallic / Gray Dakota Leather / Dark Poplar Wood Trim / Cold Weather Package / Premium Package / Premium Sound Package / Lumbar Support / Xenon Adaptive Light Control / 6 speed auto - Steptronic Trans. /Sirius Satellite Radio / Voice Activation / Navigation / Moonroof

Had to give this a bump to the top page . . . . taking her in for the tapping issue tomorrow. The problem developed while under CPO warranty this time last year (valve bleed performed), however, problem was never resolved and returned with short hauls in cold weather conditions.

Will report back tomorrow on what BMW will do for me. I am going in with the expectation that they will honor the CPO warranty as the situation was never resolved. Time will tell.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:07 PM
Members

The ticking your mention, my makes a quiet ticking whan I first start it up (in the cold) but goes away when warm.
Is that normal?

Thanks
F

Originally Posted by redEYEjedi
Congrats!

I am just boggled though. How does your dealership finish the work in 2 days and my dealership finishes in almost 3 weeks???
Old 02-22-2010, 02:32 PM
Members

Originally Posted by fredderf4444
The ticking your mention, my makes a quiet ticking whan I first start it up (in the cold) but goes away when warm.
Is that normal?

Thanks
F
From what I've been told, if it quietens down when warm, that's OK. If it continues to be noisy when warm, then you need to get them replaced.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 525I

I got my head cylinder replaced last year(In Summer) after the 9th visit to the dealer, 3 weeks a go it was really cold here in dallas and I told the sa I hear my ticking noise is back I couldn't belive my ears, I was shocked that the nosie came back. So after the trip to the dealer they also repalced the lifters and now it is ticking free for now. but who knows, if it will come back. I had to go through so much trouble for this fix, for a while I was starting to not like bimmers anymore, but im back, Bmw dealerships can be sucha pain in the ass. but hopefully it is fixed and everyone with this issue can move on.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi - Titanium Silver Metallic / Gray Dakota Leather / Dark Poplar Wood Trim / Cold Weather Package / Premium Package / Premium Sound Package / Lumbar Support / Xenon Adaptive Light Control / 6 speed auto - Steptronic Trans. /Sirius Satellite Radio / Voice Activation / Navigation / Moonroof

Following up on my post from yesterday . . . . and to expand, based on the several posts since, the new SIB in question addresses the issue of ticking in connection with cold starts and short drives (in my case < 1mile). The ticking made the MB Diesel 10 ton box-truck I drove in the summer of 1981 sound quiet. The ticking and tapping were more than palpable and downright aggravating.

The good news was, when my E60 was sufficiently warmed up, the ticking disappeared. I just received a call from my SA, and the the lifters have been replaced, the repair / replacement will be covered under my CPO warranty (mechanicals through 100K miles) and my deductible for this repair, a meager $50.

I pick her up at 5PM and will find out in the next few days whether the ticking and tapping have been eliminated.

A word to all of you out there with the same problem, cite the SIB at the front end of this string and contact your SA. The repair should be covered under your new car or CPO warranty. Best of luck.

Quick Reply: My lifters are being replaced