E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my AWD working correctly??

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 04:17 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi Sedan, 6 spd Auto, cold weather, premium package
Default Is my AWD working correctly??

Hi everyone. First of all, I'm a new BMW owner and I will be the first to tell you I don't know much about BMW's...yet. I fell in love with the look of mine and bought the vehicle without doing much research. I've had it less than a week, but twice I've been driving and all of a sudden the dash lights up with numerous warnings, 4x4 malfunction, drive moderately, anti-lock brakes malfunction, flat tire monitoring malfunction, and I think perhaps another. I searched this forum and found ways to reset the warning lights, but oddly haven't needed to try it because when I turn the car back on, the warning lights are all gone. I called my dealer and they said they just installed and registered the battery, so I don't believe it's a bad battery. This evening, driving on wet roads, I felt the car "slip" just a bit, and then all the lights came on. I was kind of under the impression that an AWD doesn't really "slip", but maybe I'm wrong? Any help would be appreciated. I just want to make sure my AWD is working correctly before the snow hits the midwest!
Old 10-23-2015, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

I hope your dealer gave you some sort of warranty. Those kinds of problems should not be happening, or should have been disclosed to you. I would hold them accountable.

No, you should not be experiencing "slippage" with the E60 AWD (unless it's on wet leaves or something).
Old 10-23-2015, 07:04 PM
New Members

It's kind of strange. Today was the first time I've driven it on a wet road. I didn't notice any slippage at all, in fact, felt good traction as the all season tires are brand new. I'm just hoping it's an anomaly, don't really want to think that the AWD is going out as I'm heading into winter!!!
Old 10-23-2015, 07:10 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006

You should describe "slip" a little more.

The battery could have been installed improperly. Maybe something is not tightened. There is also a recall on the ground mount point of the battery where something comes loose or the bolt corrodes or something like that.

I have a 2006 530xi and have seen the 4x4 light twice in the last 10 years. Once after a car wash and another time after I changed the battery. Both went away.

My first thought is that all those warnings are likely related. Battery would be my first look. You should get the codes read off the ODB port using a BMW specific tool. Don't let this go if you just bought the car. It can get expensive.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:16 PM
New Members

Thank-you for the advice. I guess I always want to put trust in other people, but being a mid 30s female, am probably a bit naive when it comes to purchasing cars. I'm not sure what recourse I would even have, the first time the warning lights came on, I called the dealership and they said it happened to them and they put a new battery and "registered" it. Oh, the slip is a very, very, brief little slip. Nothing major, but can certainly feel the wheels lose traction for a split second. I have to believe my AWD is still working, as other times out today on wet roads, I was able to accelerate with zero slipping.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:33 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006

Wheels losing traction is a slip that might be explainable. It could be the tires, or a specific tire. It could be road conditions, like some loose dirt or wetness, it could be speed, it could be a number of factors like that. I've lost traction many times, but never felt it was because of a drivetrain mechanical problem.

But, the lights. You say they admitted all these lights went on and then they replaced the battery and then sold it to you. You need to go back there and be persistent. Next time it happens bring out the camera phone and take pictures. Next time it happens drive directly to them without turing off the car.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

I agree with others that leaves, rain and dirt can cause momentary slippage and a very, very brief light on the dash can come on. The lights should NOT stay on. I agree with twh. Keep the car running and take it back to the dealer if the problem persists.

Also, please note that AWD ONLY helps in the acceleration of your car. AWD can inspire confidence but it does absolutely nothing to help with braking and very little help with aggressive cornering.
Just think of the last time you saw an SUV upside down in a ditch in the winter. They got going quickly (often too quickly for the conditions) and then thought AWD would keep them safe when braking and cornering. ...Surprise....It doesn't.
I also strongly suggest you get winter tires as well. All seasons are really only three seasons. Winter tires will transform your car into a tank in snow. Three seasons tires also stay very hard when the temperature falls below 7 C (45F) and as a result can compromise handling.
Good luck.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:41 PM
New Members

Thank-you everyone for the response. I called the dealership and they hinted it could be a number of different causes, but thought a software reset or low battery would be the most likely causes. I'm going to take drive it straight to the dealer if the lights come on again. I will look into winter tires as well.