E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My 1st new car, a 520d

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 01:54 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iversonm' post='428536' date='May 26 2007, 05:54 PM
My understanding is that the opposite is true post-LCI, at least for the center armrest. This may not be 100% correct outside the US, as it seems there is much more variety in interior appointments offered in Europe.
I'm still not sure (I think I smell leather but it can be the "new-car-smell-spray" that's still everywhere). According to the dealer it's Sensatec, an imitation leather.

You can also order Sensatec on a 3-series for the entire interiour here in Holland, for only 100 euro or so. Looks exactly like leather. I think you cannot get this option on a 5-series, real leather only.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:03 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ressla' post='429181' date='May 29 2007, 02:02 AM
Occasionally I still think I should have got a 520d . I'll try and keep the story short. I like the torque from a diesel engine and was initially going to buy a 530d after test driving it. Then I priced up the cost of all the options I wanted on a new car ( which was nearly everything) and realised it was going to be a fortune!

I realised i could afford most of the things I wanted if I went for a 520d and specced it up. This was making sense for my licence aswell as I had a poor history a few years ago of being caught by speed cameras :thumbsdown: THEN I test drove a 535d and fell in love with the power,but was thinking it would be outside my budget with the big spec I wanted.

I ended up being 2 hours away from placing an order for a brand new high spec 530d at a price that I could just about afford. Then a dealer rang to tell me he had a 2 month old 535d with a huge spec and very low miles at a great price. I couldn't say no.... the rest is history.
Nice... very nice! The problem with power in a car is that you get used to it very quickly, and from that point on cannot do without it. I think the torque of a 535d must be very addictive, and it must feel good to have plenty of reserves. But... what will be your next car? It will be difficult to "upgrade" in engine power from a 535d. An M5 may be faster but is an entirely different car, it's not the low-RPM superfast superrelaxed cruiser that the 535d is.

I'm trying to take one step at a time, starting with a 520d, then in 4 years (= my company's lease period) a 525d, followed by a 530d, 535d.... and who knows what then (hydrogen BMW?)
Old 05-30-2007, 05:11 PM
Members

My Ride: Sept '06 535d M sport ,Silver ,Black Dakota Leather,HUD ,TV, Media ,Visibility,Heated F+R seats,Comfort Seats, Active seats ,Sun protection glass,Dark Poplar wood, sunroof ,Elec Sunblinds , Folding mirrors, 19" 172s ,Extended lights Package, Debadged

Originally Posted by timewa' post='430005' date='May 30 2007, 11:03 PM
Nice... very nice! The problem with power in a car is that you get used to it very quickly, and from that point on cannot do without it. I think the torque of a 535d must be very addictive, and it must feel good to have plenty of reserves. But... what will be your next car? It will be difficult to "upgrade" in engine power from a 535d. An M5 may be faster but is an entirely different car, it's not the low-RPM superfast superrelaxed cruiser that the 535d is.

I'm trying to take one step at a time, starting with a 520d, then in 4 years (= my company's lease period) a 525d, followed by a 530d, 535d.... and who knows what then (hydrogen BMW?)
You're so right. I don't think, even if I could afford one, an M5 would suit me. The problem is now with the power "on tap" so easily in the 535d you become blase about the acceleration. Like today a rapid overtaking manoevre felt "slow" because I had become so used to the power! I was beginning to consider remapping the car !!!

Then again it only takes 15 minutes of driving my wife's VW Polo to realise how lucky I am.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:15 AM
Senior Members

Location: Luxembourg (work) / Germany (home) / Poland (heart ;)
My Ride: MY RIDES: Previous: 1997 BMW 528i E39 | graphit mettalic | black leather | electric heated and pumped comfort seats + memory (seats, wheel, mirrors) | factory xenon | LPG gas installation (Dutch / Prinz) w/direct sequential injection (same pwr and same cons.)+80L tank in the spare wheel place | cruise ctrl, electric sunshade | ABS | ESP | 4 airbags (never used :) | electronic AC (2 side) | Board computer | Leather heated multifunction wheel | Radio Profess.+tape+6 CD changer+subwoofer+10 spkrs+DSP | alu 17" AEZ + Turanza 235/45/ZR17 | rain sensor | factory GSM built-in | Asus A636 GPS navigation TomTom | HISTORY: 1999 BMW 735 | 1994 VW Golf GT | 1994 Citroen Xantia | 1997 Renault Megane Coupe | 2000 Alfa Romeo 146 | 1994 Renault 19 | 1995 Toyota Camry | 1994 Audi 100 | 1978 VW Golf (the only diesel so far...) FUTURE: (2011-2012) F11 530xd Msport ultimate DREAM: M5 diesel :)

Hey,
Beautiful car and great colour-combination!
I like the new LCI Bus-Navi, it looks so good!

What kind of material are your seat covered with? Is it cloth or "velours" (I am not sure if it is available for E60, that's why I ask).

As for the "leatherette" for 5-series instead of real leather I think I saw it on the Luxembourg's BMW pricelist (for around 128 EUR), although not in the German one
(while I was ordering my E60 I checked out dealerships in 4 countries nearby: Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium and France because dealerships were all about 1-hour drive away from each other though I never saw "leatherette" in real - therefore I can't tell about its quality. But when you order M-package the only option then is "real" leather, and "leatherette" dissapears

Anways,
CONGRATS!!! and welcome here!
Old 05-31-2007, 11:00 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by luxembourg' post='430302' date='May 31 2007, 06:15 PM
Hey,
Beautiful car and great colour-combination!
I like the new LCI Bus-Navi, it looks so good!

What kind of material are your seat covered with? Is it cloth or "velours" (I am not sure if it is available for E60, that's why I ask).

As for the "leatherette" for 5-series instead of real leather I think I saw it on the Luxembourg's BMW pricelist (for around 128 EUR), although not in the German one
(while I was ordering my E60 I checked out dealerships in 4 countries nearby: Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium and France because dealerships were all about 1-hour drive away from each other though I never saw "leatherette" in real - therefore I can't tell about its quality. But when you order M-package the only option then is "real" leather, and "leatherette" dissapears

Anways,
CONGRATS!!! and welcome here!
I'm not sure what kind of material it is, but I think it's pretty strong and it looks really good. Standard seats are fine for me too. Only time will tell if I regret the choice of a beige interiour.

Look at this picture to get an impression of the materials.
Attached Thumbnails My 1st new car, a 520d-10.jpg  
Old 05-31-2007, 12:34 PM
Members

My Ride: '12 BMW 520d Touring

Hi Timewa,

I think you got a gorgous car, I absolutely love the black exterior and beige interior combination with the wood trim.

Did you get your car at Smudde?

Heel veel plezier met je nieuwe wagen,

Groeten naar (en vanuit) Overijssel!
Old 05-31-2007, 10:49 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BMWskipper' post='430408' date='May 31 2007, 10:34 PM
Hi Timewa,

I think you got a gorgous car, I absolutely love the black exterior and beige interior combination with the wood trim.

Did you get your car at Smudde?

Heel veel plezier met je nieuwe wagen,

Groeten naar (en vanuit) Overijssel!
Dank je!

I bought the car at Smudde Enschede. Very happy with the service so far (buying process & delivery), it's an entirely different experience than for example the rude and ignorant people that work at Audi Huiskes-Kokkeler (I've test driven an A6 too, and was a bit dissapointed to be honest).

(By the way, the trim isn't wood, it's the black high-gloss trim that you can specify instead of the standard grey metallic one.)