E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My 1st new car, a 520d

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 01:00 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So cool.... Nice pick!!!
Old 05-23-2007, 01:07 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dawi' post='427319' date='May 23 2007, 01:30 AM
I believe that's the manual seat adjustment if you don't specify electric with memory.

Nice car indeed, I especially like the new headlights - if you do not order xenons you still get the look on the standard units with the projector lens which you didn't on the pre-LCI.

Had that on my Audi A6 which didn't have xenons but always thought the standard units looked cheap on the pre-LCI without the projector. :thumbsdown:

You're right: These are the standard seats, which are partially manual and partially electric. I know the comfort seats are brilliant but I didn't want to spend another 4K? on them. There's a company here that sells E60 interiours in all different configurations and colors. If I really don't like the standard seats after a while I can still buy one of those interiours, but my 1st impression is positive (I think BMW improved the standard seats for the LCI, will compare later with an "old" E60 we have here at work).

And I fully agree on the headlights: The pre-LCI non-xenons look cheap, especially now that many new small cars get projections lights as standard. Glad that BMW corrected this for the LCI. I have xenons on my current car so I wonder if I'll miss them...
Old 05-23-2007, 02:16 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='427451' date='May 23 2007, 10:54 AM
Cognrats on the new car.

Sounds like we have to do similar journeys; lots of high-speed autobahn storming, as well as cruising in the Netherlands. After 55000km since July last year, I can only confirm that you've made a great choice of car

What interior do you have there? Is it leather or cloth? Either way, together with the black trim and exterior, it gives the car a very executive look.

(p.s. Try not to lose to many pieces when you take it apart hey...!! Enjoy...)

Thanks. I really enjoy driving through Germany (except for the "Baustellen" everywhere) especially with the right car and a good HiFi set for the music. Difficult to stick to 120km/h once you're back in Holland after an Autobahn-race. I wonder if Germany will still have no speed limits in 10 years or so as it is under discussion all the time.

The interiour is cloth. I may regret that (I have 2 small kids) but I definitely wanted a light interiour as I find an all-black car a bit too depressive and even a bit boring. My wife doesn't want leather in a car and that's fine with me. When I looked at the car for the first time yesterday, the looks of the interiour were even above expectation (and my expectations were high).

I noticed that the door panel arm rests as well as the middle arm rest seem to be made of leather, which wasn't the case in pre-LCI E60s if I remember correctly.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:04 AM
Members

My Ride: soon 520d touring delivery week26 Black with black dakota lether M-sport xenon big climat towhitch elec,trunkdoor hifispeakers usb/mp3 option ext,int,light isofix comfortseats

Congrats to the new car
Old 05-23-2007, 09:48 AM
Senior Members

From a fellow engineer...

CONGRATS!
Nice choice.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by timewa' post='427299' date='May 22 2007, 05:38 PM
Of course as an engineer I will probably disassemble the entire car to see how all the stuff works. Will take pictures and post them every now and then.
I feel the tendency to dissassemble is genetic. My engineering education taught me how to put stuff back together.

Enjoy you new car. It's beautiful.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:21 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dawi' post='427319' date='May 23 2007, 01:30 AM
Nice car indeed, I especially like the new headlights - if you do not order xenons you still get the look on the standard units with the projector lens which you didn't on the pre-LCI.

Had that on my Audi A6 which didn't have xenons but always thought the standard units looked cheap on the pre-LCI without the projector. :thumbsdown:
This is the picture of the LCI non-xenon headlights.

And good to see that there are other engineering people here. I think technically minded people that appreciate a good design are much more attracted to the E60 than to most other cars.....

Today my dealer called me to say that I can collect the car on Friday. Nice!
Attached Thumbnails My 1st new car, a 520d-fuenfer_5.jpg  
Old 05-26-2007, 02:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d SE Jet black / anthracite Advanced air con Sun protection glass USB Style 244 wheels

Very nice, like you I am going to be new to BMW ownership and looking forward to it having spent the last 7 years or so in various VW's.

Your car is similar to the one that I have just ordered. I have gone for dark grey seats (current car has a beige interior which shows up marks from my daughter), so i thought this would be a better option. I also went for grey gloss trim rather than the high gloss black to lighten the interior a little. although having seen the inside of your car I am now wondering if I made the right choice... !!

It is good to see a car on here that is relatively standard spec and affordable. Unfortunatley not all of us can afford a 550!

Hope you enjoy it!

Old 05-26-2007, 03:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Originally Posted by timewa' post='427464' date='May 23 2007, 11:16 AM
Thanks. I really enjoy driving through Germany (except for the "Baustellen" everywhere) especially with the right car and a good HiFi set for the music. Difficult to stick to 120km/h once you're back in Holland after an Autobahn-race. I wonder if Germany will still have no speed limits in 10 years or so as it is under discussion all the time.

The interiour is cloth. I may regret that (I have 2 small kids) but I definitely wanted a light interiour as I find an all-black car a bit too depressive and even a bit boring. My wife doesn't want leather in a car and that's fine with me. When I looked at the car for the first time yesterday, the looks of the interiour were even above expectation (and my expectations were high).

I noticed that the door panel arm rests as well as the middle arm rest seem to be made of leather, which wasn't the case in pre-LCI E60s if I remember correctly.
I thought I'd read somewhere that you only get leather covered centre armrest if you specify leather seats. Are you sure it's leather then or vinyl. Can you give it a good smell - it would be interesting to know. I guess it's the same question for the door panels as well.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by dawi' post='428484' date='May 26 2007, 07:05 AM
I thought I'd read somewhere that you only get leather covered centre armrest if you specify leather seats. Are you sure it's leather then or vinyl. Can you give it a good smell - it would be interesting to know. I guess it's the same question for the door panels as well.
My understanding is that the opposite is true post-LCI, at least for the center armrest. This may not be 100% correct outside the US, as it seems there is much more variety in interior appointments offered in Europe.

Quick Reply: My 1st new car, a 520d