E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My 1st new car, a 520d

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 01:38 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All,

After a lot of consideration and testdrives in many different cars, I decided that I would order a 520d LCI as my 1st lease car (and first new car as well). I drive a lot of long distances in Europe (mainly Germany) and the E60 is just the car for me, as I like driving comfortable and fast. I especially like cars with a very quiet interiour and good handling. Needless to say that the E60 is just the car I needed.

I work in the automotive industry, and I can really appreciate a well built car with some nice electronics engineering. This is my profession too: Designing electronics for automotive sensors, for all major OEMs including BMW.

Compared to other cars I looked at (A6 2.0tdi, Passat diesels etc) the 520d was the best choice for me in almost all aspects. I expected the 2.0 diesel to be a bit underpowered for this kind of car, but was actually surprised during a test drive. It's not hyper fast, but because of the relatively low weight (1485kg) it's not really slow either. Of course it does not have the 6 cyl sound, but it's quiet and refined and perfectly fine for the average daily traffic + autobahn cruising.

So I ordered the car approx 2 months ago. It was in the higher end of my lease budget so I did not order that many options, but at least the most important ones for me like the business Navigation, Bluetooth and the HiFi soundsystem. It's almost a bargain at ~50K€, the same price as a well equipped Passat diesel here in Holland.

Yesterday I got a message that the car had arrived. Cool! Visited the dealer today and took a couple of pictures I like to share. Hopefully it will be registered and ready to drive before the weekend...

I would like to thank all of you on this forum. It was very valuable and interesting for me to read through all the posts, it helped me to learn a lot about the E60 and make the right choices. Thanks a lot!

Of course as an engineer I will probably disassemble the entire car to see how all the stuff works. Will take pictures and post them every now and then.
Attached Thumbnails My 1st new car, a 520d-fuenfer_6.jpg   My 1st new car, a 520d-fuenfer_3.jpg   My 1st new car, a 520d-fuenfer_1.jpg   My 1st new car, a 520d-fuenfer_9.jpg   My 1st new car, a 520d-fuenfer_4.jpg  

Old 05-22-2007, 01:56 PM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Congrats on your new car, seems like you've made all the right choices!
Old 05-22-2007, 02:49 PM
Members

VERY nice!

What's the black item on the forward side of the lower passenger seat?
Old 05-22-2007, 03:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Originally Posted by xiTouring' post='427311' date='May 22 2007, 11:49 PM
VERY nice!

What's the black item on the forward side of the lower passenger seat?
I believe that's the manual seat adjustment if you don't specify electric with memory.

Nice car indeed, I especially like the new headlights - if you do not order xenons you still get the look on the standard units with the projector lens which you didn't on the pre-LCI.

Had that on my Audi A6 which didn't have xenons but always thought the standard units looked cheap on the pre-LCI without the projector. :thumbsdown:
Old 05-22-2007, 08:10 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

very nice. congrats and enjoy man.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530d Sport Touring (E61). Silver Grey, Automatic, Professional SatNav, Black Leather, Heated Seats, Folding Mirrors, 6CD changer, Bi-Xenons, Bluetooth

Good choice - I always remember getting my first BMW after a succession of Fords - it was in a completely different league when it came to build quality and handling. I've never ever been disapointed getting back in my car after I've driven other much more expensive cars, even back in the days when I owned a 316i Touring!
Enjoy :-))
Old 05-22-2007, 10:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Originally Posted by timewa' post='427299' date='May 22 2007, 05:38 PM
All,

After a lot of consideration and testdrives in many different cars, I decided that I would order a 520d LCI as my 1st lease car (and first new car as well). I drive a lot of long distances in Europe (mainly Germany) and the E60 is just the car for me, as I like driving comfortable and fast. I especially like cars with a very quiet interiour and good handling. Needless to say that the E60 is just the car I needed.

I work in the automotive industry, and I can really appreciate a well built car with some nice electronics engineering. This is my profession too: Designing electronics for automotive sensors, for all major OEMs including BMW.

Compared to other cars I looked at (A6 2.0tdi, Passat diesels etc) the 520d was the best choice for me in almost all aspects. I expected the 2.0 diesel to be a bit underpowered for this kind of car, but was actually surprised during a test drive. It's not hyper fast, but because of the relatively low weight (1485kg) it's not really slow either. Of course it does not have the 6 cyl sound, but it's quiet and refined and perfectly fine for the average daily traffic + autobahn cruising.

So I ordered the car approx 2 months ago. It was in the higher end of my lease budget so I did not order that many options, but at least the most important ones for me like the business Navigation, Bluetooth and the HiFi soundsystem. It's almost a bargain at ~50K?, the same price as a well equipped Passat diesel here in Holland.

Yesterday I got a message that the car had arrived. Cool! Visited the dealer today and took a couple of pictures I like to share. Hopefully it will be registered and ready to drive before the weekend...

I would like to thank all of you on this forum. It was very valuable and interesting for me to read through all the posts, it helped me to learn a lot about the E60 and make the right choices. Thanks a lot!

Of course as an engineer I will probably disassemble the entire car to see how all the stuff works. Will take pictures and post them every now and then.
Congrats on the new car. Enjoy it.....
Old 05-23-2007, 12:32 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

Congratulations on the new car! I'm sure you'll enjoy it, especially on those long drives you mention needing to make.

MacSid
Old 05-23-2007, 12:54 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by timewa' post='427299' date='May 22 2007, 11:38 PM
[size=2]All,

Cognrats on the new car.

Sounds like we have to do similar journeys; lots of high-speed autobahn storming, as well as cruising in the Netherlands. After 55000km since July last year, I can only confirm that you've made a great choice of car

What interior do you have there? Is it leather or cloth? Either way, together with the black trim and exterior, it gives the car a very executive look.

(p.s. Try not to lose to many pieces when you take it apart hey...!! Enjoy...)
Old 05-23-2007, 12:59 AM
Contributors

Welcome to the world of BMW. The car looks absolutely outstanding.

Quick Reply: My 1st new car, a 520d