E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My 1st new car, a 520d

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 11:36 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520d SE Manual, Sports Suspension, Sports Steering Wheel, Dakota Leather.

Originally Posted by timewa' post='427299' date='May 22 2007, 10:38 PM
All,

After a lot of consideration and testdrives in many different cars, I decided that I would order a 520d LCI as my 1st lease car (and first new car as well). I drive a lot of long distances in Europe (mainly Germany) and the E60 is just the car for me, as I like driving comfortable and fast. I especially like cars with a very quiet interiour and good handling. Needless to say that the E60 is just the car I needed.

I work in the automotive industry, and I can really appreciate a well built car with some nice electronics engineering. This is my profession too: Designing electronics for automotive sensors, for all major OEMs including BMW.

Compared to other cars I looked at (A6 2.0tdi, Passat diesels etc) the 520d was the best choice for me in almost all aspects. I expected the 2.0 diesel to be a bit underpowered for this kind of car, but was actually surprised during a test drive. It's not hyper fast, but because of the relatively low weight (1485kg) it's not really slow either. Of course it does not have the 6 cyl sound, but it's quiet and refined and perfectly fine for the average daily traffic + autobahn cruising.

So I ordered the car approx 2 months ago. It was in the higher end of my lease budget so I did not order that many options, but at least the most important ones for me like the business Navigation, Bluetooth and the HiFi soundsystem. It's almost a bargain at ~50K?, the same price as a well equipped Passat diesel here in Holland.

Yesterday I got a message that the car had arrived. Cool! Visited the dealer today and took a couple of pictures I like to share. Hopefully it will be registered and ready to drive before the weekend...

I would like to thank all of you on this forum. It was very valuable and interesting for me to read through all the posts, it helped me to learn a lot about the E60 and make the right choices. Thanks a lot!

Of course as an engineer I will probably disassemble the entire car to see how all the stuff works. Will take pictures and post them every now and then.
Very nice motor - & thanks for the pics - I've not inspected an LCI yet but it looks great!

If you want to enhance the driving experience further (which I'm sure you will do after 8 weeks) - go for a re-map - you'll love it!

I've just had my 520D chipped to 210 BHP

If you want more details look at my post in the Modifications section.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:27 PM
Members

My Ride: Sept '06 535d M sport ,Silver ,Black Dakota Leather,HUD ,TV, Media ,Visibility,Heated F+R seats,Comfort Seats, Active seats ,Sun protection glass,Dark Poplar wood, sunroof ,Elec Sunblinds , Folding mirrors, 19" 172s ,Extended lights Package, Debadged

Great car. I don't feel the 520d is underpowered at all,and for real world driving has all the acceleration you need . Enjoy!
Old 05-27-2007, 12:47 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ressla' post='428638' date='May 26 2007, 10:27 PM
Great car. I don't feel the 520d is underpowered at all,and for real world driving has all the acceleration you need . Enjoy!
After 3 days of driving (~400km) I fully agree. The 520d is not underpowered at all, it's pretty fast. The only reason that I currently see to upgrade to a 525d+ is that it misses the 6-cyl sound and the 180km/h+ acceleration. Other than that it's really fine.

Funny you should say that though, why did you take a 535d then in the first place?

After 3 days I am extremely happy that I ordered the car as it is. I am really very, very happy with the car:

1) It's fast enough for me, the torque at 2K RPM or higher is addictive.
2) It has all the features I was looking for, and even exceeds expectations in many ways. This car was designed by people who think exactly like I do.
3) The comfort is amazing for such a car. The steering is a little too light but other than that the handling is really very good, and still it's much more comfortable than I expected. I cruised with 200km/h yesterday for 1 hour (Germany) and was impressed by the silence and the ease of travelling like that.

Needless to say I never regretted my choice to go for an E60 even for 1 second.

Will post more pics laster.
Attached Thumbnails My 1st new car, a 520d-bmw5_ophalen.jpg   My 1st new car, a 520d-bmw5_13km.jpg   My 1st new car, a 520d-bmw5_pirelli.jpg  
Old 05-27-2007, 12:53 PM
Senior Members

wow ! that's the new business navigation More pictures of that please

The 2.0 diesel, is a very nice engine, with a great torque, and pretty silent to, at higher speeds..

Great car!
Old 05-27-2007, 01:12 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 520d SE, Jaguar X-Type 2.0d SE, Land Rover Freelaner 2.5 V6

The 520d is pretty good

Covered 950 miles so far and looking forward to stretching its legs after 1000 miles
Old 05-28-2007, 07:50 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by E60Sim' post='428877' date='May 27 2007, 10:53 PM
wow ! that's the new business navigation More pictures of that please

The 2.0 diesel, is a very nice engine, with a great torque, and pretty silent to, at higher speeds..

Great car!

Agree - some more pics of the business nav would be nice.

What can you do with the business nav map view? Does it have zoom function on it etc.?
Old 05-28-2007, 04:02 PM
Members

My Ride: Sept '06 535d M sport ,Silver ,Black Dakota Leather,HUD ,TV, Media ,Visibility,Heated F+R seats,Comfort Seats, Active seats ,Sun protection glass,Dark Poplar wood, sunroof ,Elec Sunblinds , Folding mirrors, 19" 172s ,Extended lights Package, Debadged

Originally Posted by timewa' post='428871' date='May 27 2007, 09:47 PM
After 3 days of driving (~400km) I fully agree. The 520d is not underpowered at all, it's pretty fast. The only reason that I currently see to upgrade to a 525d+ is that it misses the 6-cyl sound and the 180km/h+ acceleration. Other than that it's really fine.

Funny you should say that though, why did you take a 535d then in the first place?

Occasionally I still think I should have got a 520d . I'll try and keep the story short. I like the torque from a diesel engine and was initially going to buy a 530d after test driving it. Then I priced up the cost of all the options I wanted on a new car ( which was nearly everything) and realised it was going to be a fortune!

I realised i could afford most of the things I wanted if I went for a 520d and specced it up. This was making sense for my licence aswell as I had a poor history a few years ago of being caught by speed cameras :thumbsdown: THEN I test drove a 535d and fell in love with the power,but was thinking it would be outside my budget with the big spec I wanted.

I ended up being 2 hours away from placing an order for a brand new high spec 530d at a price that I could just about afford. Then a dealer rang to tell me he had a 2 month old 535d with a huge spec and very low miles at a great price. I couldn't say no.... the rest is history.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW ///M 525xi Carbon Black - Dakota Black Leather - Riegel Ahorn Anthrazit trim - Alloy wheels 135 8Jx18" - Sport Seats - Bi-Xenon Headlights - Nav. System Professional - Bluetooth phone prep. - Auto-Dim. Int + Folding exterior mirrors - Rear Blind (electric) and side blinds - PDC - Foldable rear seats - Trailer Clutch -- 1980 - E21 320 1984 - E21 323i - White 1988 - E34 520i - Light Blue 1995 - E39 528i - Dark Blue -- Momo 17" wheels 2001 - E39 530d - Stahblau -- ///M-kit 2002 - Mini Cooper S - Dark Silver -- wifes car 2006 - E60 525xi - Carbon black -- ///M-kit Mods: Anti carjacking system CJ-1

Very nice choice! Lijkt me zeer mooi en ben echt verzot op het contrast die je cree?rde in je interieur.

Veel geluk ermee

BTW: mocht je ge?nteresseerd zijn opgenomen te worden in de benelux E60 forums lijst, plaats dan een post in de volgende topic:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=27532

Dan kan ik je gemakkelijk terugvinden als er eens een meeting is met zoveel mogelijk members.

Proficiat nogmaals
Old 05-29-2007, 09:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Congrats timewa,

I today checked out a LCI E61 520dA, Black with Beige fabric interior, and it looked great.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:50 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='429067' date='May 28 2007, 05:50 PM
Agree - some more pics of the business nav would be nice.

What can you do with the business nav map view? Does it have zoom function on it etc.?
The LCI business nav is great, it's a Becker system (like the non-LCI arrow only system) and so far I'm pretty happy with it.
Will make a new LCI business-nav post when I have time. The last couple of days I have either worked or been driving. Oh, and I ate some food every now and then, sometimes realized I was hungry after some hours behind the steering wheel.

Quick Reply: My 1st new car, a 520d