E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MP3 DVD: Limited number of files?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 09:04 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by twh' post='274727' date='Apr 27 2006, 09:40 AM
Too bad the regular audio CD slot isn't just a CD/DVD-DL and then we could have the NAV DVD in at the same time. The cost delta between CD and CD/DVD is minimal these days.

Tom
Agree 100%. I am not sure but I believe the single CD slot is actually integrated with the radio itself. However, you would think in this day and age it would be a simple and standard upgrade that they just provide them as DVD/CD as a matter of course.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:44 AM
Members

My Ride: [color=#000099][font=Verdana]Oct 2005 530d limousine, Silver Grey, Steptronic, Black Dakota leather, 17" Star Spoke style 138 wheels with Bridgestone Potenza 050A, extended air conditioning, M sports steering wheel, PDC, Xenon, ProSat Nav, Cruise Control, iDrive 19.02 [/font][/color]

I went a bit further with experiment and burned a DVD+R DL full of MP3 files coded at various bitrates.
First to mention that I have used a Traxdata 2.4x speed disc with Pioneer (A08) burner and Nero software.

My findings are the following:

General conclusion: DL discs are readable in Professional Nav system.

but in detail,

a) disc has readable folders and subfolders structure
b) it takes a longer time to access all folder tree (10-12 sec)
c) although music on the beginning of the disc plays fine,
d) music on the second layer plays jerky and not all music in folders can be played (IDrive freezes in the menu and you might need to reboot the system)

I will also try my luck with Verbatim DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL 4x speed to see if I can get a disc which plays all songs from beginning to the end of the disc.

So, a proper procedure in burning DVD (media and writing speed) should operate just fine.

All advices are welcome

My details: E60, Feb. 2005., CIP 20.0, NavPro, Standard european speaker package (shitty one)
Old 04-27-2006, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

My experiences with burning DL DVD discs have been pretty hit and miss. It reminds me of the early days of burning CD's -- you had to make sure you did everything exactly right and your computer wasn't doing anything else while the burn was taking place.

Now, with the newer and faster computers, burning CD's and DVD's is pretty routine but burning DL DVD's still results in a lot of drink coasters...
Old 05-01-2006, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator

I finally got around to opening my MP3 DVD compilation in Nero to see if I could get some stats on how many files and folders I burnt to my single layer DVD.

Here is the information I found:

Files: 1,666
Folders: 138 (40 folders are artist names (top-level) and the rest are album names)
Total data to be written: 4,519 MB

All MP3 files are 128kbps bit rate (44kHz sampling rate).

Don't know if that helps but I figured someone might find it interesting...
Old 05-01-2006, 06:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Spent yesterday building my DL DVD with 7.4 GB, 1066 files, 116 folders of 49 artists and what happened, iDrive failed before I could test it out. :thumbsdown: Min bit rate is 192kbs, with about 50% of files at 256kbs or greater (320kbs). Burned with iTunes at 2x, but cannot report results until car fixed. Sure is quiet now on my drive to from work. Heck I may even drive the truck just to listen to SAT RADIO at least. Ooops, cannot do that - have to replace the carrier bearing in the half shaft. Oh well... when it rains, it pours.

On the iDrive I have the dreaded CCC failure (or MOST bus failure) of BMW Banner for 2 minutes, then blank for 10 sec, then BMW banner for 2 minutes and ....... and so it goes. Scheduled in Thursday.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Bummer man. Hope you get your baby back fast...
Old 05-05-2006, 06:16 AM
Contributors

Update on 2 fronts: 1) got car back from having no iDrive whatsoever. Only BMW banner alternating with blank screen. Straight out of SIB 84 08 05, whoch should have had a fault code and a hardware fault - but... only required a PROGMAN update, 21.03.00 according to SA but I was not aware we were at that level yet. That worries me for the obvious reasons, why/how did this happen and is something lying in wait for the next one? Although the MEASURES PLAN (copy supplied as requested) plainly states that all settings were saved and subsequently restored and checked out, my NAV address book was empty. DAMN :thumbsdown:

2) Now able to check out DL DVD as described two posts previous. As best I can tell it works. With nearly 100 hours of music on the DVD I obviously have not listened to the entire disk, but I have checked all the of the folders for being listed and the song files within each folder. Not sure which end of the the DVD writing process (beginning or end) is the hardest on the recording and subsequent reading in a different drive, but I have listened to the first and last albums as listed. Both played just fine.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

Good luck with number one...

Cool beans on number two -- thanks for being the guinea pig on that one!
Old 05-06-2006, 11:49 AM
Members

My Ride: (Nov)2003 530d SE Auto, Orient Blue, Black Dakota Leather, Heated front and rear seats, Business Sat Nav, Servotronic Steering, 6 CD Disc Changer, DeBadged, Star Spoke 124 18" wheels

Originally Posted by MrTrilby' post='274293' date='Apr 26 2006, 02:28 PM
I dumped as many MP3s as I could fit onto a DVD-R.
They're organised in to folders Artist->Album->Tracks.

On the DVD, I have folders running from (A)bba down to (W)et wet wet (ok, so not really those artists, but I couldn't think of a band beginning Z).

On the i-Drive display, it only lists folders down as far as M, and then it just stops.

I counted (on my PC) how many files are in the folders from A down to M. It's 218.

Regardless of the exact number of files you get to play, no matter what I do, i-Drive won't display folders on my disc from M down to Z.
Just catching up on this thread,
I have Business Navigation as well ( on Nov 2003 e60) and I have the same file limitation as Mr Trilby.
I have used ITunes to burn onto DVD-R and done a straight file copy using Roxio. The limitation exists with both methods of writing to DVD.
Its damn annoying that I cant find a way around this.
I can get around 16-18 albums accessible from the DVD obviously depending on songs per album.
I dont know which CIP version my car is as I only bought it in January.
Any other ideas ????
Old 06-11-2008, 09:07 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by rohitlad' post='278807' date='May 6 2006, 03:49 PM
Just catching up on this thread,
I have Business Navigation as well ( on Nov 2003 e60) and I have the same file limitation as Mr Trilby.
I have used ITunes to burn onto DVD-R and done a straight file copy using Roxio. The limitation exists with both methods of writing to DVD.
Its damn annoying that I cant find a way around this.
I can get around 16-18 albums accessible from the DVD obviously depending on songs per album.
I dont know which CIP version my car is as I only bought it in January.
Any other ideas ????
I have been using a DVD to play my MP3s ( 4.3 GB of MP3 songs ) from my navigation DVD drive. The flip side is that I cant use the Navigation if Im playing MP3 from this drive. So I tried a stupid thing as I was very curious about it. I had an ISO image of navigation DVD. So I go a Dual Layer DVD ( 8.4 G and burnt both the navigation ISO file and the MP3 files on to this DL DVD and tried to play it from the navigation drive ( hoping that both MP3 and Navigation would work ).
But it played only the MP3 and when i went to Navigation menu, it said Please insert Navigation DVD.
I know it might sound foolish but does anybody have any technical justification as to why this is not possible ( using both navigation feature and playing MP3 from a DL DVD).
Other thing I had tried was by burning the navigation ISO file on a regular DVD and it worked.So I know that ISO file is good.

Any thoughts.

Quick Reply: MP3 DVD: Limited number of files?