E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

MP3 Disc - What to do in order to play them ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 06:23 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='337724' date='Sep 23 2006, 06:05 AM
Guess what no surprises.

I WOULD be surprised if someone could show folders or tracks ordered in IDrive by something other than filename.I have never seen it otherwise.

Remember if filename has "00", "01" etc at the beginning, then they are the the most significant characters the alphabetic sort by "filename"

I assume we all understand ASCII.

Still waiting for something different to the "default".

ABC
I don't think anyone has claimed otherwise. The tracks in all of my folders on my MP3 discs are in the order they were on the original album, as they should be and as I like them to be. If you want the tracks to be in any different order, it is possible, but the trick is to edit the filenames accordingly before you burn the disc - you've already worked out what you need to do. If you re-read the earlier posts, mentions of default related principally to iTunes and how it handles MP3 burns of playlists - iTunes does have defaults but they can be changed if the user prefers. Cobradav's link to the Apple discussion showed some examples. From an MP3 stanpoint, your car has no adjustable options - it displays and plays MP3 audio based only on what's on the discs it's fed - your ability to manage that is specifically limited to how creative you want to be in the burning process.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='337742
Then by song - here I usually order in the way they were on the original source material which in all likelihood is not alphabetical. Some times I remove the two digit number just preceding teh song title but you can see in this case I did not (just lazy I suppose).
I couldn't make sense of this. Why would someone remove the two digit number preceding the song title when it's the only way of sequencing Folders or Tracks?

Originally Posted by swajames' post='337458' date='Sep 22 2006, 04:10 PM
As you'll see above I confirmed that the default play order was the order in which the tracks were added to the playlist that the user sets up.

Re the order in iDrive, I'll have to check but I think it's possible to set the order that tracks apear within folders
This also confused me.

Presumably again no news. The default play order is alphabetic by filename on IDrive.

Simply simulate the desired order of folders or tracks by prepending the filename with a 2(or more) digit sequence number.

ABC
Old 10-16-2006, 04:21 PM
JMB
Members

Originally Posted by 525iSE' post='337686
Just in case we need reminding.

No chip needed for MP3 playback. Software is just fine.

ABC

525iSE, I don't doubt your car can play mp3. My point is that business radio can't play mp3 because it doesn't have the mp3 decoder. Decoding can be achieved either by software or by a specialized chip. Many audio systems use hardware decoding. The business radio is not prepared for decoding via software, and lacks the chip, so it's not possible to play mp3 files.

Maybe you, whatever the reason (a plant error, a non asked option...) have a professional radio?

Isn't it strange that you are (AFAIK) the only one that have mp3 capability with bus radio in this forum?

I've been fighting with BMW around this issue for one year, and they finally admitted the problem, and my radio is going to be changed without charge for the professional model tomorrow.

In the attached file you can find the famous chip for professional radio.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:46 PM
Contributors

JMB, before we continue this discussion, whether its a plant error on my car or whatever. Please explain to me, the difference between professional radio and business radio. Because all the cars here have no options regarding radio, we only get business radio, unless they buy the latest release of the 5, which is the 530i and the 520d, everyone get the same specs. I gave up on MP3 since I saw the thread about earlier cars having business radio cannot play MP3s, then when I met my friend Sam, his car also had business radio, yet his car played MP3, so we brought it in a it was a software issue for my car. So my point is this, maybe it is a plant error on my car, but how can we explain my friend's car as well, two errors? Also I will post on the Thai Thread to see if the other guys have MP3 as well with all their business radio.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

Originally Posted by 525iSE' post='337686' date='Sep 23 2006, 11:28 AM
MP3 playing just fine with business radio without extra "chip/decoder"... Just a software update...

525iSE, im sorry but JMB is right you cant play MP3s with business radio, you must have pro radio if you want to play mp3s..
your signature says you have HiFi sound...that means you have pro radio, i think cause i dont think you can have HiFi without pro radio

im reading the e60 cataloge and acording to it...

-----------
- BMW Busi radio : 4-chanel amplifiler, aerial divversity, scan funtion, cd drive, six loudspearkers..

- BMW pro radio : features as BMW business but with 2-tuner reception...
----------

so perhaps the Business radio only come in FM...
and 525iSE, did you order you car with business radio or bought it from a dealer.....
Old 10-17-2006, 04:40 AM
Contributors

I just got it from the dealer. But I only have 6 speakers, wel 8 including the subs, no speakers on my rear door at all... Thats not prof. radio is it?
Old 10-17-2006, 04:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

i also have hifi but have no idea if its business or prof, how can one find which one it is?
Old 10-17-2006, 06:29 AM
Senior Members

Doesn't professional radio give you two tuners so that one can be dedicated to TMC?

ABC
Old 10-17-2006, 09:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

ok...525iSE, now ur confusing you sound system as well..

there are 3
- std: 6 speaker ..
- HiFi : 10 speakers..
-l7 : 13speakers..

about the sound system.. if you want to know if you have hifi go to the door and listen if the sound are coming out of your tweeters (small speaker in the side miror) if so you have HiFi if not you have standard...

HiFi has 10 speaker, 2 in each front door (4), 1 under the each front seat (2), 2 on each side of the rear pacel shelf (4)...total 10...
Old 10-17-2006, 11:36 AM
JMB
Members

Originally Posted by snkpkp' post='345799' date='Oct 17 2006, 02:58 PM
i also have hifi but have no idea if its business or prof, how can one find which one it is?
Professional radio has two tuners, one is used to receive signal and the second one monitors all the frequencies in order to have always listed all available radio stations. You can notice this in the entertainment - radio menu:

If you have a screen called AutoStore, you have only one tunner, ie. Bus radio. This is the option you would use to locate radio stations when you enter an area you don't have stations memorized for.

If you have a screen called "All stations", you have two tuners, ie. prof radio. The second tunner was locating the stations while you were listen the primary tuner and you can choose directly from the list.

This is conceptually how it works. But... I will not bet my hand :'( , with so many different sw versions, options programmed, errors, etc. Seems that there are exceptions for any rule!

Quick Reply: MP3 Disc - What to do in order to play them ?