E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

MP3 Disc - What to do in order to play them ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 07:56 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if you click to sort by album will it sort by album in the iDrive?
Old 09-22-2006, 08:04 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='337458' date='Sep 22 2006, 04:10 PM
Re the order in iDrive, I'll have to check but I think it's possible to set the order that tracks apear within folders but you have do all of this before you burn.
I think you'll find that the ONLY order the IDrive displays them in is alphabetical so all that good work "ordering" in ITunes is not needed/pointless.

I put track numbers (01, 02 etc) in front of my MP3 titles to use the alphabetical order constraint (as far as I see it)...

...Unless someone knows different.

ABC
Old 09-22-2006, 08:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='337471' date='Sep 22 2006, 09:04 AM
I think you'll find that the ONLY order the IDrive displays them in is alphabetical so all that good work "ordering" in ITunes is not needed/pointless.

I put track numbers (01, 02 etc) in front of my MP3 titles to use the alphabetical order constraint (as far as I see it)...

...Unless someone knows different.

ABC
The issue (and the many posts discussing the "good work" you need to do in iTunes) was primarily about how to arrange folders by album, and that's exactly what the procedures above enable you to do.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:46 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='337487' date='Sep 22 2006, 05:33 PM
The issue (and the many posts discussing the "good work" you need to do in iTunes) was primarily about how to arrange folders by album, and that's exactly what the procedures above enable you to do.
Can you help this dumbass arrange the TRACKS in ORDER.

And since someone referred to a DEFAULT order on IDrive for (albums?) I presume, how does one change this default and what are the options?

I wonder if you agree that the order of tracks within an album is of moderate interest?

ABC
Old 09-22-2006, 09:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='337493' date='Sep 22 2006, 09:46 AM
Can you help this dumbass arrange the TRACKS in ORDER.

And since you referred to a DEFAULT order on IDrive for (albums?) I presume, how do you change the default and what are the options?

ABC
That's something that the filename itself would normally address, the filename contains the track number and thus the play order. The general file naming convention would be "<track number><track name>.mp3" (e.g. 01songname.mp3) and the play order should be picked up through the track number. Do your mp3 filenames look like that? Once you've set up artist and album level folders on the disc, the individual tracks should play and be displayed based on the numbers at the start of the filename. Just a thought but do your filenames look like that? I'm wondering if that's maybe your issue but it does sound like you have tried to add the numbers. I would fully expect that if you set up a burn (you use Nero, right?) with the disc ordered by artist, with subfolders for albums, and track names that start with the track number it should work.

Bizarrely, there's really nothing you can set in iDrive for this, that was why there was so much focus on burning the discs in such a way as to make them more usable later, it does seem kind of pointless but you've really go to do all the work up front.

Good luck, keep us posted.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='337499' date='Sep 22 2006, 06:05 PM
That's something that the filename itself would normally address, the filename contains the track number and thus the play order. The general file naming convention would be "<track number><track name>.mp3" (e.g. 01songname.mp3) and the play order should be picked up through the track number. Do your mp3 filenames look like that? Once you've set up artist and album level folders on the disc, the individual tracks should play and be displayed based on the numbers at the start of the filename. Just a thought but do your filenames look like that? I'm wondering if that's maybe your issue but it does sound like you have tried to add the numbers. I would fully expect that if you set up a burn (you use Nero, right?) with the disc ordered by artist, with subfolders for albums, and track names that start with the track number it should work.

Bizarrely, there's really nothing you can set in iDrive for this, that was why there was so much focus on burning the discs in such a way as to make them more usable later, it does seem kind of pointless but you've really go to do all the work up front.

Actually that's what I've done all along.

I just thought from your earlier posts that you had divined some concept of "default" which could be overridden.

Amazing what attention a single word can get...

I'm sure others will reap benefit from your excellent explanation.

ABC
Old 09-23-2006, 12:28 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JMB' post='336382' date='Sep 20 2006, 05:35 AM
No way. Business radio can't play mp3 because the decoder it's not installed (it's a physical chip on the radio main board). And I confirm the message I see is "Medium cannot be read". (Well... in spanish )
MP3 Disc - What to do in order to play them ?-sp_a0009.jpg

MP3 Disc - What to do in order to play them ?-sp_a0008.jpg

MP3 playing just fine with business radio without extra "chip/decoder"... Just a software update...
Old 09-23-2006, 12:33 AM
Senior Members

Just in case we need reminding.

No chip needed for MP3 playback. Software is just fine.

ABC
Old 09-23-2006, 04:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by swajames' post='337499' date='Sep 22 2006, 01:05 PM

Here by way of pics is what the method swajames is explaining. I might add that using this methods also prevents any issues with too long a list for iDrive to read (some have claimed a ~ 250 list limit). It makes reading very fast. For instance, this particular DVD has over a 1000 songs at 256k/bs or even high bit rates.

First the artist. In this case showing that I have 47 artist on this DVD (and I chose not to reorganize the playlist I recorded in any other order than alphabetical, but I could have before recording)

MP3 Disc - What to do in order to play them ?-img_1134.jpg

The you drill down to the albums under the artist, in this case three albums. Obviously, each artist had at least one (well I suppose I could have had JUST songs but not the way I recognize most of my music)

MP3 Disc - What to do in order to play them ?-img_1136.jpg

Then by song - here I usually order in the way they were on the original source material which in all likelihood is not alphabetical. Some times I remove the two digit number just preceding teh song title but you can see in this case I did not (just lazy I suppose).

MP3 Disc - What to do in order to play them ?-img_1137.jpg
Old 09-23-2006, 05:05 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='337720' date='Sep 23 2006, 01:35 PM
Here by way of pics is what the method swajames is explaining. I might add that using this methods also prevents any issues with too long a list for iDrive to read (some have claimed a ~ 250 list limit). It makes reading very fast. For instance, this particular DVD has over a 1000 songs at 256k/bs or even high bit rates.

First the artist. In this case showing that I have 47 artist on this DVD (and I chose not to reorganize the playlist I recorded in any other order than alphabetical, but I could have before recording)

The you drill down to the albums under the artist, in this case three albums. Obviously, each artist had at least one (well I suppose I could have had JUST songs but not the way I recognize most of my music)

Then by song - here I usually order in the way they were on the original source material which in all likelihood is not alphabetical. Some times I remove the two digit number just preceding teh song title but you can see in this case I did not (just lazy I suppose).
Guess what no surprises.

I WOULD be surprised if someone could show folders or tracks ordered in IDrive by something other than filename.I have never seen it otherwise.

Remember if filename has "00", "01" etc at the beginning, then they are the the most significant characters the alphabetic sort by "filename"

I assume we all understand ASCII.

Still waiting for something different to the "default".

ABC

Quick Reply: MP3 Disc - What to do in order to play them ?