E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Missing connector after engine out :-(

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2022, 03:07 AM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: E61 with M-sport Vanity Pack
Model Year: 2006
Engine: M57D25TÜ
Default Missing connector after engine out :-(

Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of help - a quick pointer to a missing connector for the intake air temp sensor.

I've had the engine and box out of my car (2009 e61 530d) - replacing DMF, and upgrades...
I hit a small problem right at the end of the rebuild - only when I came to put the rad pack back in did I realise that I'm "missing" the wire and connector for the inlet air temp sensor... DAMN!

This sensor is in the charge pipe which runs between the intercooler and the intake manifold. (senseor in red in screenshot).

I *think* this wire (is one of the many) that come from the engine loom bolted to the side of the block - under the inlet manifold. I *think* I must have left it in there tucked away somewhere - I just can't see it without taking stuff off again :-(

SO - before I strip the manifold and allsorts of stuff off to go hunt for it, can anyone tell me - is it definately supposed to be in there? - or does it come from a different route (like via the body or somewhere else).

Thanks in advance!
Mark

Old 11-20-2022, 10:53 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Engine: N52

If that diagram is for you VIN number, you can see the part legend "11" is greyed out and that means your car does not use this part. Make sure you looked at a diagram using your VIN.
The following users liked this post:
double-trouble (11-20-2022)
Old 11-21-2022, 07:06 AM
New Members

Yeah, that parts diagram *is* 'off' my VIN - so my car never had the connector in the first place.

No wonder I can't find it.

Big weight off my mind (I thought i'd been really careful with the reinstall and loom routing - nor could not remember removing this off the charge pipe) AND you saved me taking off the intake and probably a load more besides again. I'd have been properly perplexed by the time I did all that and STILL couldn't find it!

THANK YOU twh!

(Great community here, I'll try and pay back a bit more often :-) )
Old 11-21-2022, 08:39 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by double-trouble
Yeah, that parts diagram *is* 'off' my VIN - so my car never had the connector in the first place.

No wonder I can't find it.

Big weight off my mind (I thought i'd been really careful with the reinstall and loom routing - nor could not remember removing this off the charge pipe) AND you saved me taking off the intake and probably a load more besides again. I'd have been properly perplexed by the time I did all that and STILL couldn't find it!

THANK YOU twh!

(Great community here, I'll try and pay back a bit more often :-) )
Ok, before you celebrate...I may have been hasty in my analysis. Only part #11 is greyed out and that seems to be some bracket. Part #10 and #12 are not greyed out. You need to see if part #10 is installed and not connected. Sorry about that.
Old 11-22-2022, 12:26 AM
New Members

ah, well...

Part 10 is indeed installed.

I know what I'll be doing this weekend then :-)

thanks anyway
Old 11-27-2022, 01:54 AM
New Members

FOUND!

After taking off the inlet manifold, alternator and a lot of coolant pipes and etc this morning - I found the problem....
I had plugged the 'missing' connector into the wrong sensor... (Embaressing!). It was another plug that was missing all along....

SO - it turns out the (low pressure) fuel pressure sensor has same 2 pin plug as the charge air pipe temp sensor....

The fuel pressor plug was the missing one - it's on a short wire comming out of the engine loom thingy.
The IAT sensor is on a longer wire, commoned with oil temp and (I think) alternator).

The missing fuel presssure sensor plug was folded up and tucked away well out of sight under all the other wires and stuff.
With it nowhere to be seen I plugged in the IAT connector into the pressure sesnsor in error.
Only (some time later) when I came to put the rad pack back in did I discover I was one connector short...
Now I found the connector and pluged them in the right holes - everything should work.

(I've not connected the battery - so there will be no error codes)
The following 2 users liked this post by double-trouble:
gman6262 (12-02-2022), twh (11-27-2022)
Old 11-27-2022, 06:15 AM
New Members

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi (Touring)

That's why I will wrap a masking tape label around the plugs when I'm doing a big disassembly. There are just SO many plugs that it's dead easy to mess something up. I want to give myself every opportunity to get the car back together properly. ;-)