E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Might go for X5 instead

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 09:29 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Pentium Guy' date='Jan 18 2005, 07:20 PM
The X5 has a handling advantage, but not that much that can justify the +$10k price tag.

It's time for a "Reasons why you should go back to the X5" argument.

[snapback]80570[/snapback]
this is starting to sound like more of a price issue than a performance issue...

i will say this, if you can compare in your mind both cars as you have above, then you should probably go with the Acura... meaning that IMHO, they shouldnt be compared at all, i cant see how you can compare 2 SUVs to the E60...

but to compare MDX to X5... if you are buying, go with the MDX if you need seating for 7, as the X5 is currently being redesigned to accomodate 7 passengers, but thats atleast a year away, so i couldnt advocate buying the X5, but if we're talking lease, it still the best choice

BMW's are expensive, and just because Honda decides to build a car with similar dimensions, doesnt mean, imho, that you compare them to a BMW... fit and finish is hands down in the BMW corner, as well as xDrive, and probably every other performance issue with the SAV

...now if the drive is not the most important issue, and the nice tricks are what will sway you, then the MDX does have alot of those nice things that should be considered... is the driving performace worth the $10K?, well thats up to you...

to me ofcourse it is, and even more, but i could never consider an SUV for myself, as they are useless in my mind... but some like them and seem to have the need for them though its not as much as one would make it out to be...

that said, what is your driving needs/wants? i know you were originally thinking E60, and that would still be my suggestion to you, and if you feel you need all wheel drive, go for the Xi, but do you need to carry 7 people? ever? once?

is this becoming more an economic issue? as said, the BMW's are expensive, but do you see the residual values of the X5? they are almost as much CPO as they are new, which means that they keep their value as a function of their reliability and performance... you said that the dealer is already cutting the cost by $6k, how much do you think the MDX will be worth in two years? i bet it wont be much, and certainly no where near the residual value of the X5...

it all comes down to what you are willing to spend on a car or SAV that is the top of its class in all performance issues... i much rather the ultimate driving machine than a honda suv, and cost is not an issue for me in this regard, as you definitely get what you pay for when it comes to cars... i love to drive, so thats what im buying a car to do, but if you need to carry tons of s**t on each trip from the house, then your needs are different than most here so you may need to consider the other option...

good luck
Old 01-19-2005, 10:13 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i - Alpine white with auburn interior; tip, xenon, pdc, sirius, prem, cold weather, red reflectors and xpel.

Interesting comparison with the MDX. I have an X5 (3.0l sport) and test drove an MDX at the time. The x5 is the more dynamic driver of the two with better overall cohesiveness. I actually thought the ride quality was better on the X5. I found the MDX to be choppy and underdampened. I agree the X5's interior is noticeably nicer.

A big negative for the x5 is space. It can hold 4 comfortably...5 in a pinch. Cargo space, however, is very limited. You learn to pack really lightly for weekend get-aways. Its not a great choice if you need a lot of utility.

I ultimately decided I wanted a more car-like ride and will be switching to a 530i next month. If I was keep an SUV, I would get another x5. (I actually prefered the x5 to most of cars I test drove). If I needed more utility, I would go with the Volvo xc90 over the MDX. Just my opinion.