E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tons of Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 05:25 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 Silver Gray 545i, Sport, Navigation, Steptronic, PDC, Windowshade, Bluetooth Paired with Treo 650, Huper Optik tint, Euro reflectors, Poplar Wood Gear Shift, Poplar Wood Console Cover

Wow, I just started on this site after doing a Google search and found it to be a wealth of information, however, some it is very confusing to me. So if someone(s) would be so kind, I would like to see if there is some concrete answers to these questions regarding my 2004 545i with the Sport Package and Navigation (incindentally my first BMW and I am thrilled).

1) Door shows mfg date of 08/04, how do I get the exact build date?
2) I do not have Sat prep, but I do have an appt with my dealer to have Sirius installed, sounds like this is impossible, yet they have scheduled the appointment?
3) How do I know my Software Version and should I ask the dealer to upgrade it?
4) I have a Communication Screen, but it does not show "Bluetooth" on it, however, I have a card that came with my car that has a Bluetooth PassKey number on it. It does not appear to have been activated, and I definitely want Bluetooth.
5)I have no RDS, can I get it?
6)When I go to my "CD" screen, it shows an option for "DVD", is it possible to get this to play DVD's through the Navigation disk? I can't get the I-drive to actually highlight DVD, so I know the functionality is disabled.

Thank you in advance for your help, I cant believe how interesting this site is!
Old 01-16-2005, 05:29 PM
Members

My Ride: MY 2004 545i; April build; 6 speed; silver grey metalic; black leather; poplar; sport package; cold weather; active steering; xenons .

Originally Posted by derrickj' date='Jan 16 2005, 10:25 PM
Wow, I just started on this site after doing a Google search and found it to be a wealth of information, however, some it is very confusing to me.? So if someone(s) would be so kind, I would like to see if there is some concrete answers to these questions regarding my 2004 545i with the Sport Package and Navigation (incindentally my first BMW and I am thrilled).

2) I do not have Sat prep, but I do have an appt with my dealer to have Sirius installed, sounds like this is impossible, yet they have scheduled the appointment?
4) I have a Communication Screen, but it does not show "Bluetooth" on it, however, I have a card that came with my car that has a Bluetooth PassKey number on it.? It does not appear to have been activated, and I definitely want Bluetooth.
6)When I go to my "CD" screen, it shows an option for "DVD", is it possible to get this to play DVD's through the Navigation disk?? I can't get the I-drive to actually highlight DVD, so I know the functionality is disabled.

Thank you in advance for your help, I cant believe how interesting this site is!
[snapback]79907[/snapback]
In what Country do you live?
Old 01-16-2005, 05:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6speed

welcome derrickj !!!

(beat ya ice and aloha) !!!
Old 01-16-2005, 05:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 Silver Gray 545i, Sport, Navigation, Steptronic, PDC, Windowshade, Bluetooth Paired with Treo 650, Huper Optik tint, Euro reflectors, Poplar Wood Gear Shift, Poplar Wood Console Cover

Originally Posted by dfndr' date='Jan 16 2005, 09:29 PM
[quote name='derrickj' date='Jan 16 2005, 10:25 PM']Wow, I just started on this site after doing a Google search and found it to be a wealth of information, however, some it is very confusing to me.? So if someone(s) would be so kind, I would like to see if there is some concrete answers to these questions regarding my 2004 545i with the Sport Package and Navigation (incindentally my first BMW and I am thrilled).

4) I have a Communication Screen, but it does not show "Bluetooth" on it, however, I have a card that came with my car that has a Bluetooth PassKey number on it.? It does not appear to have been activated, and I definitely want Bluetooth.
6)When I go to my "CD" screen, it shows an option for "DVD", is it possible to get this to play DVD's through the Navigation disk?? I can't get the I-drive to actually highlight DVD, so I know the functionality is disabled.

In what Country do you live?
[snapback]79910[/snapback]
[/quote]

I live in the United States (Dallas, Texas). I had another thought too, I found a site called "powerchips.com", has anyone had any experience with them, or another performance enhancing company? My neighbor has a 2005 Chysler 300C and while I do beat him consistently, I want to "really" beat him, if you know what I mean.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:59 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Gizmo' date='Jan 16 2005, 09:30 PM
welcome derrickj !!!

[snapback]79911[/snapback]

Thanks, this is great, and FAST too!
Old 01-16-2005, 08:56 PM
Members

My Ride: Born Date 9, 1 2004. 2005 530i, silver gray, steptronic, nav, Adaptive xenon, premium pkg, cold weather pkg, premium sound pkg, Euro rear reflector. MP3 Enabled

Originally Posted by derrickj' date='Jan 16 2005, 09:25 PM
Wow, I just started on this site after doing a Google search and found it to be a wealth of information, however, some it is very confusing to me.? So if someone(s) would be so kind, I would like to see if there is some concrete answers to these questions regarding my 2004 545i with the Sport Package and Navigation (incindentally my first BMW and I am thrilled).

Welcome a board. Most useful information you can find about e60.
I think for the mfg date and software, you need to get dealer to print out what information you have.
For the bluetooth, you need to upgrade software v. 13.2 or greater I think
Probably dealer will charge you about $100 for the labor..
For the DVD, there was forum about people installing module to havd DVD work.
Might need to search DVD. I believe people spent around $400 to have install the module..
Old 01-16-2005, 08:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

1. Exact build date should appear on the invoice the dealer generates when he works on your car (to install the SAT system if this is possible).
2. I don't know if this is possible
3. Ask your dealer. He may or may not upgrade it and if not you will have to go back with a series of strange behaviors for which a S/W upgrade is the fix.
4. Yeah I've got one of those passkey cards too and it's totally useless. Yours is too probably because your car is pre-september 04. You are lucky though because you can purchase the upgrade kit.
5. Not with NAV apparently yet.
6. I think it is possible but I don't have NAV so I don't know.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:06 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Gizmo' date='Jan 16 2005, 04:30 PM
welcome derrickj !!!

[snapback]79911[/snapback]
[attachment=5724:attachment] but i'm still faster than iceman .

welcome aboard, derrickj !
Old 01-16-2005, 11:35 PM
Senior Members

Hi derrickj

The greyed out DVD in i-drive relates to the DVD drive as another potential CD source (if that makes sense). So, if you took the map disk out and put in CD it would play the CD in the DVD drive for you.

You cannot natively play DVD's.......yet!
Old 01-17-2005, 05:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by derrickj' date='Jan 16 2005, 09:25 PM

A very easy way to get your exact build date is to call BMWNA and give them your VIN.? They'll tell you over the phone.

You'll soon learn that dealers are often the most clueless.? I could be wrong but I don't think you'll be getting Sirius without the prewiring.

At this time, you can't get your software version yourself.? You will get upgrades based on your visits to the dealer.? I would only ask for a software update if you knew the new version added or fixed a feature that you need.

Depending on your build date, you might be able to get BT activated on your car.? I'd call BMWNA and see if they can determine that status.

It used to work (but not properly with nav cars) so they took it out.? It's likely that it'll show up one of these days in future software upgrades.

This was answered already -- the DVD option will become enabled if you insert an audio CD into the DVD drive.? If you do, you'll be able to listen to that disc (but will not be able to navigate.)

Quick Reply: Tons of Questions