E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Might go for X5 instead

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 05:07 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i 6speed

What we did was get one of each

My wife drives an X5 and I have a 530. THe X5 is great for going to the store, and such, but we tend to drive the 530 tons more.

Also, the tax loophole was closed to a great degree.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:25 AM
Senior Members

Damn.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:05 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by The Pentium Guy' date='Jan 17 2005, 03:09 AM
Don't know why but the SUV craze just hit me when a few of my friends bought X5 4.8's, they look great in person. I always thought they were ugly in pics.

Also there's this tax deductible thing (can someone explain this?) if your "GVWR" is more than 6000, and the X5's GVWR is 6008.

Is it worth it? It's cheaper, and I'd look tough in an SUV. It's great on the snow. And personally, it handles awesome (went to dealer today), can't beleive it handles just like a sedan (with a few 'quirks' of course).

My only complaint:
WHY THE HELL, BMW, DO YOU TAKE THE CD PLAYER UNIT AWAY WHEN YOU ADD NAVIGATION?
(They give you a tape player as "compensation", see www.bmwusa.com). Can anyone explain this phenomenon? I'm so PISSED!

But the SUV (SAV) is great. Is it worth it? My only other gripe is that it doesn't have HUD, but that's minor. It has comfort seats, but I think they're different than the one in the 5.? And oddly enough, it's cheaper.

-The Pentium Guy
[snapback]79881[/snapback]
Depends how long you want to keep the X5. Personally I think that 1 to 2 years after the new model release is still OK, but then the car begins to look dated.
And if you continue to read forums like this one, you will soon be wanting the new features, engines etc that may be introduced in the new X5's .

But after all, it is really a personal choice/preference. You're looking an excellent vehicle either way.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:35 PM
Senior Members

Love the X5.

Wife drives a 3.0 and we have 4.6is that we use as a company car. We specifically got the 4.6is because we could depreciate the entire cost in the fiscal year Gotta love that loophole. Our accountant could not believe that the X5 was eligible

You won't be disappointed in the 4.8is if you should get it.

Cheers
Old 01-17-2005, 12:59 PM
Members

My Ride: MY 2004 545i; April build; 6 speed; silver grey metalic; black leather; poplar; sport package; cold weather; active steering; xenons .

Originally Posted by heli_ca' date='Jan 17 2005, 05:36 AM
My wife has a ML 500 and I am just as comfortable in the snow in the 545 as the ML 500(all wheel drive).? I live in Edmonton, and we have snow!
[snapback]79981[/snapback]
You are deluding yourself. The 545i is a pig in the snow. It's a crippled pig with the run flat tires that come with the sport package in the US.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i, Jet Black, Black Dakota Leather, Poplar Wood, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Xenon Lights.

Originally Posted by The Pentium Guy' date='Jan 16 2005, 08:09 PM
Don't know why but the SUV craze just hit me when a few of my friends bought X5 4.8's, they look great in person. I always thought they were ugly in pics.

Also there's this tax deductible thing (can someone explain this?) if your "GVWR" is more than 6000, and the X5's GVWR is 6008.

Is it worth it? It's cheaper, and I'd look tough in an SUV. It's great on the snow. And personally, it handles awesome (went to dealer today), can't beleive it handles just like a sedan (with a few 'quirks' of course).

My only complaint:
WHY THE HELL, BMW, DO YOU TAKE THE CD PLAYER UNIT AWAY WHEN YOU ADD NAVIGATION?
(They give you a tape player as "compensation", see www.bmwusa.com). Can anyone explain this phenomenon? I'm so PISSED!

But the SUV (SAV) is great. Is it worth it? My only other gripe is that it doesn't have HUD, but that's minor. It has comfort seats, but I think they're different than the one in the 5.? And oddly enough, it's cheaper.

-The Pentium Guy
[snapback]79881[/snapback]
The reason why NAV for X5 comes with a tape player instead of CD is because they over produced NAV units with tapes, so now they need to get rid of them. At least this is an explanation I've heard when my friend was buying his X5 4.4i just few months ago. He's got fully loaded, and I MEAN, fully loaded X5. The only thing he is missing is a heated steering wheel and heated rear seats. 4.4i has enough power, why to spend more money on 4.8? However, trim on 4.8 is little bit different. I really like how his X5 performs, nothing like E60 (sedan) of course, but MUCH better than ML. We took one for a test drive before he bought his X and it drove like a minivan
Old 01-17-2005, 03:04 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530ia, saphire black on black dakota leather, steptronic, sports package and premium package; heated front and rear seats, heated steering wheel, auto bixenon headlamps, rain sensor, dynamic drive, active steering, 18" rims, Harman Kardon L7, CD Changer, poplar wood with chrome accent on steering wheel and shifter, build date 10/2003

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Jan 16 2005, 08:29 PM
the 4.8is is not good for the snow... but its an awesome!!! SAV!
[snapback]79934[/snapback]

I agree. Took one around the corner in the snow, first time I ever got into an X5, spun it right around to the opposite direction :'( ... traction light didnt even come on it happend so quick, I imagine the 4.8is would be way worse. Drove a new Land Rover LR3, with 19" tires, same turn same night and it was fine... go figure. The LR3 even had 19" sport tires.
But the X5 handles like a BMW sedan still, and looks great.
Be aware, I think new body style coming soon.

good luck with whatever you decide!
Old 01-17-2005, 04:47 PM
Senior Members

Yo, I got no money for a 4.8. I jsut said my friend's got a 4.8 lol. I don't really care about my styling. Sylings get old, who cares . I drove a 3.0 again today. Dealer said that they'll give us an additional CD player if we get nav.

-The Pentium Guy
Old 01-18-2005, 03:20 PM
Senior Members

Hmm. I looked at the MDX, doesn't look bad! Dealer's giving $39k for a fully loaded MDX (With DVD player, navigation, upgraded sound system, IN DASH (not in trunk) 6-cd changer) with touring package, heated seats... normally costs $45k.

Actually, I'm gonna have to say that, in terms of handling, they both handle pretty good (not AS good as the E60, but what can you expect form an SUV?).

The X5 has a handling advantage, but not that much that can justify the +$10k price tag.

It's time for a "Reasons why you should go back to the X5" argument.

The only argument I can really make is:
-Slightly better handling
-Comfort seats (but not the same ones as in the E60)
-Beleive it or not, I think the X5's interior is a bit better than the MDX's. The MDX's wood is a bit "plasticy" for me.

Other than that, for 10 thousand dollars less, the Acura MDX offers:
-Room for 7
-Much more advanced nav
-DVD player (keep kids happy)
-Bluetooth (ok, not 100% sure if X5 has this)
-Better fuel economy
-Twice as much trunk space nearly.
-Smoother ride (X5's ride is a bit harsh I think)

-The Pentium Guy
Old 01-18-2005, 03:55 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

The benefit for trucks/SUVs over 6000 GVW was an accelerated depreciation schedule, which means you could depreciate up to $100 +/- k in the first year. As of October 2004 the maximum allowable deduction is $25,000 in the first year. Years Cars have a depreciation schedule as well, remember prior to the 1986 tax reform everyone was buying Ferraris, that was because of the same type of accelerated depreciation. Now the numbers are closer to $3000 yr. Depreciation is a business expense which comes off the top of your income for tax calculation purposes.