E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Might go for X5 instead

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 04:09 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know why but the SUV craze just hit me when a few of my friends bought X5 4.8's, they look great in person. I always thought they were ugly in pics.

Also there's this tax deductible thing (can someone explain this?) if your "GVWR" is more than 6000, and the X5's GVWR is 6008.

Is it worth it? It's cheaper, and I'd look tough in an SUV. It's great on the snow. And personally, it handles awesome (went to dealer today), can't beleive it handles just like a sedan (with a few 'quirks' of course).

My only complaint:
WHY THE HELL, BMW, DO YOU TAKE THE CD PLAYER UNIT AWAY WHEN YOU ADD NAVIGATION?
(They give you a tape player as "compensation", see www.bmwusa.com). Can anyone explain this phenomenon? I'm so PISSED!

But the SUV (SAV) is great. Is it worth it? My only other gripe is that it doesn't have HUD, but that's minor. It has comfort seats, but I think they're different than the one in the 5. And oddly enough, it's cheaper.

-The Pentium Guy
Old 01-16-2005, 04:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

New body style coming so your X5 will be outdated in a couple of years.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:22 PM

If you have a business for which you will use the X5, you are able to deduct a portion of the purchase cost of the X5 for TY2005. Congress closed the "loophole" that would have enabled you to deduct the entire cost of the X5 if it had been purchased in TY2004 for business use (since the X5 had a gross weight exceeding 6000lbs).

If there are any tax accountants on the board who are not busy preparing returns for their clients, they may be able to tell you what you will be entitled to deduct if you purchase the X5 for business use. Also, it is my understanding that the IRS has tightened the rules for business use to claim the deduction (i.e., how you must document your business use of the X5 to prevent people from buying cars for personal use and using the business deduction to avoid paying federal income tax).
Old 01-16-2005, 04:45 PM
Senior Members

Woah! That's awesome. Thanks for the info, I just don't know why they'd do this.

Anyone know anything about the navigation / no-cd issue? It's just pissing me off, in an otherwise great car.

-The Pentium Guy
Old 01-16-2005, 07:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

the 4.8is is not good for the snow... but its an awesome!!! SAV!
Old 01-16-2005, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by The Pentium Guy' date='Jan 16 2005, 08:45 PM
Woah! That's awesome. Thanks for the info, I just don't know why they'd do this.
[snapback]79889[/snapback]
Keep in mind that the GVWR requirement was imposed because Congress wanted to give farmers a tax deduction for buying heavy trucks and tractors for their farming businesses/farms. When many Democrats found out that that office workers were "mis"using this deduction to buy Hummers and other large SUVs for non-farm businesses (and deduct the entire purchase price, up to $125K I believe, in the early 2000s up until the end of 2004), they hit the roof and rewrote the law regarding the availability of the deduction for TY2005.

I have not seen the new law, so it may well be that you must use the vehicle in a farming or farming related business to get a large deduction. Otherwise, you may have to take 5 year straight line depreciation (since cars/trucks typically have a 5 year class life) or you may be able to use a larger Section 179 deduction combined with the 5 year depreciation. Please discuss it with your tax accountant before you go out and blow $$ getting the X5.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:00 PM
Senior Members

i think it all comes down to do you need a suv. if you don't need one and nothing wrong with your e60, why bother ?
Old 01-17-2005, 12:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i titanium silver, sport package, premium package.

My wife has a ML 500 and I am just as comfortable in the snow in the 545 as the ML 500(all wheel drive). I live in Edmonton, and we have snow!
Old 01-17-2005, 04:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i - Alpine white with auburn interior; tip, xenon, pdc, sirius, prem, cold weather, red reflectors and xpel.

I have a 2002 x5 sport, albeit with the 3.0l engine. For a SUV, it doesn't have a match in terms of handling and driving dynamics. That being said, its handling is not on par with a 5 series, reflecting its weight and height. The x5 also has the convenience of being able to load bulky item. Just realize space can be tight since the rear area is not particularly large.

My X5 has been very reliable & I have been pleased over the ownership period. Ultimately, I wanted a more car-like ride, so I am switching to a 530i. If I was to want another SUV, I would choose the x5 again, but with the 4.4 engine.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:57 AM
Senior Members

Thanks. Yeah I'll take a look at the tax thing and look it ove. They're both great cars (e60 and x5). I guess we'll see.