E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

M172 Replica vs OEM

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 07:22 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My comments on bad replicas do not relate to the quality in an accident. My comments relate to the fact that the replica makers do not seem to spend the same time providing good weight distribution, etc.

As most here have found, the replica wheels made in China have lots of problems, whereas the wheels made in Europe are better.

As advice for replica purchasers, do not buy replicas that are made with a 74.1mm inside diameter. Make sure that it is 72.56mm (hubcentric). If the maker of a replica wheel cannot even make a wheel that fits the 5-Series, that should give you enough information to stay away from the product.

Personally, after buying a bad set of replicas, and moving to OEMs, I feel much better knowing that I have the best setup that I can possibly have. When I get road vibration or noise, I know for sure that it is not my own car causing the problem.

I always think that it is interesting to watch people try to spend $200 per wheel (rather than $375 per wheel) by using replicas, and then they go out and put a $350 tire on that replica wheel.

Perhaps I should start a replica tire market.

Seriously though, save your money by using General Exclaim tires (which are great) rather than buying replicas.

If you want to buy replicas and have good experience, do not let me tell you not to. I am only giving my recommendations for those new 5-series owners that are testing the waters.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

too bad some of you had bad experiences with replicas, but you are spreading your opinions as fact for all replicas. There are thousands of people out there that have positive experiences with replicas on all makes of cars, whether they be in winter or full time duty. You aren?t going to sit there and convince me that my winter wheels are going to contribute to an accident or self destruct. If you have seen an accident scene where the wheels were crushed, I don?t think, having forged BBS wheels would make a difference....even if they did hold up, whats the actual benefit? Ive seen smashed and cracked wheels from all the "top" manufactures...so what? They would still have to be replaced or repaired. Im not saying the wheels structural integrity isnt important, but it?s not as catastrophic as some of you claim. If you want to assure yourself that your money was well spent on OEMs, thats understandable but dont pass off replicas as being somehow dangerous and inferior when it comes to safety. Ive got oem 172s coming and if they werent so affordable, Id get the replicas.

And the comment about replica or knockoff bumpers, sidesills, etc...again, so what? An abs plastic bumper does not provide ANY safety in a crash. Fiberglass, cf, plastic, etc are all there for aerodynamics and looks...thats it.

If you want to talk about tires, then many would say those cheap tires are dangerous and should be avoided. Dont you know that those cheap tires get bubbles, and can spontaneously explode? You better watch out!! (sarcasm) Id think putting quality rubber is more important than using a cheaper wheel. Just because cheap tires have a brand name, doesnt mean they get an automatic stamp of approval. If a replica wheel is made by bbs, does that make it junk? Tires have less room for errors, so you can?t blame people for putting quality rubber on replica wheels.

Now, if there were replicas that cause accidents because the wheels couldnt be mounted properly, couldnt hold air pressure, or couldnt be balanced...then there is a real problem.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

You don't seem to understand what I'm saying...

I work on a towtruck and have lots of experience. I have seen waaaay too many accidents.
Replicas are dangerous, believe it or not. YOu can buy them, it's your problem. But they are dangerous. And I mean "when you have an accident". Not when in regular use.
I have seen it. I still see it every day.
And when you think bumpers etc. are all just for aerodynamics and looks and don't provide any safety, you are wrong!!!
A replica bumper in example (just like rims) brakes into waaaaaaaaaay more and much smaller and extremely more dangerous parts than an OEM does. Those edges are sharp as knifes sometimes, but never ever I have seen this on OEM. After towing about 2000 wrecked cars, mostly from highways, this can't be a coincidence.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

Ok, I can understand your concern, and agree that splintered/shattered fiberglass is not good, but what does that have to do with a persons safety inside the cage of their car?

Anyways, its clear that some replicas stink, and sh ould be avoided. so like someone else said, do your researhc, as this OP is doing, and you will have fine wheels. Will they be the exact same as OEM wheels? Probably not, but then again, the price is more than half less.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by s4iscool' post='475535' date='Sep 28 2007, 10:29 PM
Anyways, its clear that some replicas stink, and sh ould be avoided. so like someone else said, do your researhc, as this OP is doing, and you will have fine wheels. Will they be the exact same as OEM wheels? Probably not, but then again, the price is more than half less.
Stolen OEM items usually costs only 1/3 of the normal price,
but can you be sure the product is perfect?

I will not support junkies nor other criminals and that includes replica makers.

That's my personal ethical and moral point of view.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:32 PM
Senior Members

I will admit there are piece of crap replicas out there. But to label are replicas as unsafe, is not right. There are many aftermarket wheels companies in the industry, with very good reputations, that make replicas.

For example I had Lorinser LM5's on my last car (C320). My good friend liked my wheels a lot, but did not want to pay the expensive price. He found the "Konig Attain" that are virtually identical to the LM5's. He hasn't had a problem to this day. All though Konig wheels aren't exactly premium wheels, Konig does have a very good reputation in the wheel industry. To say all look-alike wheels are bad is simply not correct.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:57 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='475590' date='Sep 28 2007, 06:32 PM
I will admit there are piece of crap replicas out there. But to label are replicas as unsafe, is not right. There are many aftermarket wheels companies in the industry, with very good reputations, that make replicas.

For example I had Lorinser LM5's on my last car (C320). My good friend liked my wheels a lot, but did not want to pay the expensive price. He found the "Konig Attain" that are virtually identical to the LM5's. He hasn't had a problem to this day. All though Konig wheels aren't exactly premium wheels, Konig does have a very good reputation in the wheel industry. To say all look-alike wheels are bad is simply not correct.

Completely agreed. I think that the problem is that there are a lot of internet "wheel shops" selling "no name" replicas of BMW wheels. Those vendors are not worried about the brand name of their Chinese made replica. Konig has a name, and bad replicas will hurt that name.

There may be some confusion here as to whether we are all talking about replicas made by named producers or cheap no-name products. My beef is with the no-names.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Gone: 2004 525i Jet Black, Built 03/04, Premium Package, Black Dakota Leather, Halogen to Euro Spec Bi-Xenons Retrofit, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Steptronic Breyton Spirit Reps 20x9F 20x10R - Nitto NT555 245/35/20F-275/30/20R, M5 Front Bumper, H&R Sport Springs, Chrome Grills, 20% Tint, Euro Reflectors, Debadged, Aux Input, CIP v19.x

I had no issues with the replica's I had. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I wouldn't hesitate purchasing another set based on my experience.